Towing automatic Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing automatic Jeep

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
jeephound1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Towing automatic Jeep

I'm sure this has been ask before on here. I'm new to forum and automatic jeeps as well. I am going to tow mine behind my class c. Can you give me the do's and do not's of towing an automatic. I was going to read owner's manual and found I didn't have one. Also could use owners manual if someone has a spare. Thanks

jeephound1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Spike101188
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Towing an auto jeep... are we talking with a tow rope or with a trailer? if it has the 4 on the fly transfer case then drop that into neutral along with the actual transmission. Should be fine. If it's a tow rope be sure someone is in there "riding" the brake so that you don't get rearended. If you really don't feel ok with it being in neutral just drop the drive shafts.
Spike101188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission in park

Transfer case in neutral

Key in the (can't remember the actual nomenclature) position that unlocks the steering wheel, but does not turn on accessories.

Get a good tow bar, I like my Blue Ox because it is self locating/locking and easy to hook up because of that.

Look into adding a diode and running brake and running lights to the vehicle lights themselves instead of the add on magnetic lights. You can add a plug on the front of the Jeep under the head light.

Some angle iron behind the bumper and the brackets with grade 8 bolts.

Good to go.

p.s. I have flat towed 2 Wranglers over the years with my Class A with no problems (except when I forget to release the parking brake after hooking up). Oh, and you can not back up more than a foot or 2 while flat towing. If you get stuck somewhere you get extra practice disconnecting and connecting the Jeep.
p.s.s. My description above is from the Owners Manual. I have towed both auto and manual trans Jeeps.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike101188 View Post
Towing an auto jeep... are we talking with a tow rope or with a trailer? if it has the 4 on the fly transfer case then drop that into neutral along with the actual transmission. Should be fine. If it's a tow rope be sure someone is in there "riding" the brake so that you don't get rearended. If you really don't feel ok with it being in neutral just drop the drive shafts.

The OP mentioned towing behind a Class C, as in motor home.

Never flat tow an automatic in neutral, if the internals of the trans moves and rotates with out the proper fluid flow, you will burn out the trans before you get to your destination. Leave it in park, the tranfer case in Neutral will disconnect the drive train from the axles.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Absolutely correct responses from PeteC. The transfer case must be in Neutral and the transmission must be in Park (or in gear in the case of a manual tranny) to prevent it from turning when it's not being lubricated properly from being flat towed.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
jeephound1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks I appreciate the help
jeephound1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
A2SuperCrew
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
...........Look into adding a diode and running brake and running lights to the vehicle lights themselves instead of the add on magnetic lights. You can add a plug on the front of the Jeep under the head light.

OK that sounds like a great mod. How is it done?
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's an RV forum with a section on "Dinghy Towing". Lot's of good info there, use the search. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/31.cfm
cvd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

there isn't really a lot of pics and such on towbars/flat towing so i thought i would just post a few of the wiring i did to make my tj's tail lights and rear clearance lights come on through the tow rig's power.

here is the 4-way plug stashed under the grille. it is out of the way and has a weather cap. bonus...

the patch line from the truck to the above plug. the 7-way to 4-way is something i had already. with the flat wire it stores compactly.

here is a pic of the diode packs going in. four in total. in truth i could have used just three but i wanted to have a spare onboard and swapping to a 3-way get-up would be simple enough.

completed diode install. on the right is the fuse and relay for my reverse lights that currently are burned out.... need to buy some more gooder bulbs for those.

incase you don't know why the diodes have to go inline..... they act as a non return valve or a check valve for electrical current.

the diode packs have two inlets and one outlet. the truck and jeep harness go into the two side and out of the one side comes 12v current for lights. when the jeep is under its own power the diodes are invisible and the jeep works normally. same for the tow rig.

anyways, it all kind of works like automatic switches.

one other thing. some will ground the towed rig through the ball and coupler. the 4 wire has enough to run a ground all the way back to the lights. the coupler grounding method doesnt really optimize your lighting efforts.

pictures of the tow bar to come if interested.

EDIT:
guess i should say this kit can be had for less than $50.00.

i did not like the piggyback taps or the blade plugs so i used water tight plugs solder and heat shrink. it is not 100% waterproof but the area where everything is stashed is pretty clean after a dozen years of assorted fun...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

note: both these posts are cut and pastes from another thread. as you can see below, my dad did the same move as i.. hope this helps..

more pics:
my dad did the same move as i did. we both sold the trailers at the same time. i didn't know he was going to sell his and he got his towbar get up going first. he says it really works great!

here's his rig with a stowmaster towbar and brake buddy found on ebay.

and mine:

this is a reese tow bar

the currie tj towbar mounts

old school towage!

my brake buddy is identical to dad's. he has a monitoring system for his that i might try to duplicate. i figure he will monitor it for me since if he's driving behind me he will be the first to know if it comes off

his stowmaster folds and stores on the bumper. the telescoping arms have pins that automatically engage once he takes off. he found quite a deal when he found this bar. it is very heavy duty in looks to my #5000lb reese (which is more than adaquate for my little jeep).
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #11
deltabravo

One owner I saw at a Jeep run I went to used a totally independent set of lights when towing, that way he didn't have to worry about backfeeding the Jeep's lighting system, or diddle with diodes and what not.

I wish I would have taken some pictures of it, but he used a particular light bar I have and attached two of them to his tire swingout. They function as stop/turn and tail lights.

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/stt/50-4400.htm

deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #12
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Absolutely correct responses from PeteC. The transfer case must be in Neutral and the transmission must be in Park (or in gear in the case of a manual tranny) to prevent it from turning when it's not being lubricated properly from being flat towed.
I can't say I agree entirely here. I'll start off by saying I don't know nearly as much about you guys when it comes to flat towing, but what is to be said about vehicles that don't have 4wd? (I'm only talking about automatics here). Say you're towing a basic car, or even just pulling it with another car for a few miles. I had to flat tow a broken minivan once. Popped it in neutral, (theres no transfer case to put into neutral), and towed it with a WJ for 3-4 miles. So are you saying the trans (of the minivan) was getting ruined during this? And what about the thuosands of other non-4x4 cars that you see on the highway being flat towed behind an RV? Do they have to disengage their axles somehow?
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR View Post
I can't say I agree entirely here. I'll start off by saying I don't know nearly as much about you guys when it comes to flat towing, but what is to be said about vehicles that don't have 4wd? (I'm only talking about automatics here). Say you're towing a basic car, or even just pulling it with another car for a few miles. I had to flat tow a broken minivan once. Popped it in neutral, (theres no transfer case to put into neutral), and towed it with a WJ for 3-4 miles. So are you saying the trans (of the minivan) was getting ruined during this? And what about the thuosands of other non-4x4 cars that you see on the highway being flat towed behind an RV? Do they have to disengage their axles somehow?
None of that really matters because the discussion has to do with the Wrangler TJ. The correct advice for flat towing a TJ has already been given above... tranny in Park or in gear, and the transfer case in neutral. I take it you haven't bothered to read what your owner's manual has to say on this...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #14
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was once towed by a pro tow truck from home to my mechanics shop 10 miles away.I don't really remember what i did but i think that i had the transmission in N and the transfer case where it usually is,not in neutral.The towing was with my front end in the air and just the rear wheels on the ground.So far so good,should i be worried about any future damage??

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
None of that really matters because the discussion has to do with the Wrangler TJ. The correct advice for flat towing a TJ has already been given above... tranny in Park or in gear, and the transfer case in neutral. I take it you haven't bothered to read what your owner's manual has to say on this...
Well considering the thread is on towing "Automatic Jeeps", (not only TJs), I started wondering about what you said about the transmission not being lubricated. And there are automatic Jeeps out there w/o 4wd (obv pointless IMO), so I thought maybe you knew how to haul those. Both my TJ and WJ have 4wd,but just curious if the WJ didn't come with 4wd....
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.