Towing a 2003 behind a RV? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing a 2003 behind a RV?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 07-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
NekkidFish

Towing a 2003 behind a RV?

I have just purchased a Universal bumper-mount tow bar from JC Whitney, which says it bolts to most flat bumpers. We are moving across country and will be making the final move in an RV, hopefully towing our 2003 Jeep Wrangler, manual transmission.

Here's what I 'think' we have to do to tow:

1. Unlock the steering wheel
2. Put the main drive in Neutral
3. Keep the manual stick in a gear such as third

Is that all we need to do?

I cannot seem to find a lot of info on towing with a tow bar, but a ton on how to tow on a flatbead or with a dolly.

Any and all help will be appreciated!! PK

NekkidFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had these web sites bookmarked, they talk about flat towing a Jeep. Good luck.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/flattow.html

And

http://www.monacocoach.com/lifestyle...01/dinghy.html

John

"When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way"

2004 TJ, Auto w/ OD, 4.0L, Off-Road 36x13.5 Super Swamper IROK's on MT Classic II Rims, SYE, CV Driveshaft, 4:56 Gears, ARB Locker, 3.5" RE Superflex, 2" Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disco's, 9,000# Winch, Toys-by-Troy step-sliders, The Source OBA. And lots more....
JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
EDM0656

It's probably in your owner's manual. It was in 99.
Crager Black Steel Wheels 3.75" backspace
Bestop Bikini
Mirror Movers and some lights
Cobra 29 CB
and a few more payments
EDM0656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
rico334

Nekkidfish-

I tow my 2000 wrangler all over the place. It has 42k driving miles on it and probably has gone nearly that far by being towed also. (They also do not rack up mileage on the odometer by being towed either)

Follow the 3 steps listed below and you will have no problems.

1. Place transfer case in NEUTRAL
2. Place manual transmission in gear. (I use 1st gear)
3. Unlock the steering wheel to where it free wheels (but not turned to where the accesory power is on.)

Have fun ! !

Rick
5 Sp
I-4
O||||O
rico334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
blupupher

Make sure you have some tow lights hooked up also, either magnetic on wire into the Jeeps lights.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
Broadway
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you might as well put your transmission in nuetruel as well, why take a chance on not having your transfer case completely out of gear. I have found no just cause to leave your transmission in gear.
Unread 07-27-2004, 06:53 PM   #7
rkutzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway
you might as well put your transmission in nuetruel as well, why take a chance on not having your transfer case completely out of gear. I have found no just cause to leave your transmission in gear.

I agree, unless someone can shed some light on the subject. My 2001 has 28000 road miles and over 4000 towed miles.....

disconnect the battery for that long trip, no miles get racked up either....

Everything SELF INSTALLED.

The Serious Stuff:4.5 RE LA, 35" MT/Rs, 4.88s, Super44 w/Detroit, D30 w/Ptrax, SYE, Tera 4:1, 2LOW & Rear Disks, AntiRock, Lotsa Skids (some homemade!), Nth Shock Shifters, Patriot 9500...and LOTS more !
rkutzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #8
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway
If your t-case goes into gear and the tranny is in N, your tranny will be toast. There is no internal lubrication going on in the tranny if being driven from the output side. That is why you leave it in gear or park for auto. Not fun if it happens, but better to have a tire lock up than get somewhere and have no transmission (not necessarily from a safety point, but a mechanical one).
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:40 AM   #9
rkutzner

Hmmmm, toasted tranny or nasty accident with toasted Jeep and or toasted engine and or blown diffs and or......

Since the chance is so small and my trips usually short I'll stick with it in Neutral until someone gives a better reason !!!

I need a justification for that 700R4 or NSG370 or NP4500 anyways

Everything SELF INSTALLED.

The Serious Stuff:4.5 RE LA, 35" MT/Rs, 4.88s, Super44 w/Detroit, D30 w/Ptrax, SYE, Tera 4:1, 2LOW & Rear Disks, AntiRock, Lotsa Skids (some homemade!), Nth Shock Shifters, Patriot 9500...and LOTS more !
rkutzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:46 AM   #10
97sahara

Tranny in neutral-- when the the T case is in N, you'l get no movement, so why risk screwing up your gears? I've been towing my 97 for a while, and I always put it in 2nd.
97sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:28 AM   #11
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkutzner
Hmmmm, toasted tranny or nasty accident with toasted Jeep and or toasted engine and or blown diffs and or......

Since the chance is so small and my trips usually short I'll stick with it in Neutral until someone gives a better reason !!!

I need a justification for that 700R4 or NSG370 or NP4500 anyways
Theoreticaly, with the t-case in N you still could get some turning of the output shaft on the tranny. Not likely, but damage could happen. When I flat tow, I do it with the t-case in N and the tranny in park. Why, because that is the way it was designed to be done. Says so in the owners manual.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.