Tow Wiring Dilemma?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
theckid

Tow Wiring Dilemma??

ok, so I have a 2004 Wrangler (one of the Willys edition, but that doesnt matter) and I was going to buy a camper to pull. Nothing too big, 2000lbs with electric brakes. So I looked at my harness, which is the 4 pin, then I looked closely at the wiring colors, there was a blue wire folder back into the wiring tube. So I pulled it out and hooked a volt meter to see what would happen when I hit the brakes. Lo and behold there was some voltage when the brakes were pressed. But my questions to you guys is, Is this really a good use for electric brake control? I traced the blue wire back to the rear signal light and the blue wire was connected to a pair of violet (or purple) wires. Another question would be is this factory or aftermarket? where do the violet wires go back to?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 PM
ACs98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure where that wire came from but most likely not for electric brake control. The electric brake controls I have installed require a heavy unswitched power source usually from the battery with its own circuit breaker and a brake power wire of 10 or 12 gauge back to the trailer harness socket. There are additional wires from the controller to the brake light system. You need a brake control to vary the power applied to the trailer brakes according to the stopping forces needed. The controller will usually have some sort of matching control to set the controller to match the trailer brakes. A brake control should have decent wiring and set up instructions. Been awhile since I got mine for my truck, think it came from NAPA.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2014, 10:13 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Google "7 pin trailer wiring". There a separate power wire and a brake wire.

And like said above you will need a brake controller. This is a small control box that mounts under the steering column, that controls the trailer brake force.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2014, 11:00 PM
geroux
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As said before, you need a 7 pin with brake controller to properly operate the brakes. Four pin is just for lights.
There are two different types of controllers. I have the proportional type not on my Jeep but on another vehicle with the seven pin plug. You need to circuit breaker both constant hot and brake circuits separately.

Take a look at this...
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

Tags
blue , harness , tow , wire , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.