Totaled Jeep #1, Now its time to build up Jeep #2... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Totaled Jeep #1, Now its time to build up Jeep #2...

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Stik
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Totaled Jeep #1, Now its time to build up Jeep #2...

So I hit a tree and totaled out my 2002. I had an option to "sell" the jeep for 11.5k or keep it and 7k. I took the 11.5k and ran. I replaced the 02 with a 05 X, 4.0L Auto.

I am planing running 35s, so I will need some advice.

The 05 has a 1" BL/ML and 245/75R16s. I am thinking I will need a four inch lift for the 35s. I know the question has been asked a thousand times, but is there any possible solution to not using a SYE/CV (such as a Moter Lift AND a transfer case drop?)..and if there is not, how much more would it cost with a new drive shaft and should I go with a 6" long arm lift instead?? (I'm trying to justify the cost.)

Please don't try to talk me out of 33s, jeep #1 had them and I wanted to go bigger the day I got them. (less than 2 months ago!)

Just as a side note, I got the 02 SE for $7,500, and put right under $5,000 into it.

Stik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
BILL G
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Put tube fenders,3"suspention lift,1.25" body lift and your good to go.
BILL G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Schwalby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Others will be able to say for sure but I would say go with the SYE / CV. It does cost you a bit more $$ but you can then also do the tummy tuck which will grab you a little more clearance underneath. For 35s you can probably keep it around a 3.5” – 4” lift if you also go with a BL. I think the BL are worth it because again the tummy tuck and you can then get gas tank skids that will raise that clearance up another inch as well. If you do find your self rubbing with a 4” lift and BL you can through on tube fenders and such to clear them. I personally think a LA lift is too much $$ if you are staying with a 35” tire.
Again just my 2 cents others on here may know better.

[url]www.jeeprally.org[/url] Great American Jeep Rally
Schwalby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I went with 3" Rancho HD springs(raised it 4"),a 3/4" spacer up front and a 1" BL.I clear my 35's fine and only had to drop the t case 1/2" with washers(nothing else).No vibes at all.

TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind you'll need to re-gear your axles for the 35's with an auto trans. and if you have the D35 rear, you'll want to upgrade to a whole new axle, unless you aren't planning on actually using the rig offroad.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Stik
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I do plan of regearing, putting in auto lockers, and stronger axles. Any recommendations on the gears? I would want to keep the RPMs around 2,500 at 70 mph.

I have a pretty good budget for this build, but I still want to get the most for my money. A $1,000 4" lift + $600 for the SYE/CV + BL seems kind expensive when I could go with a 6" Rough Country for $1,200 + $600...any thoughts?
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
LandoCommando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Show us pictures of your totaled jeep. :-)

Oh the irony.
LandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a though, Rough Country is crap. You get what you pay for...

Upgrade the rear to either a D44 or 8.8, regear to 4.88.
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Stik
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm working on getting those pics!

Thanks for the feedback...so what would you recommend??
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Stik
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just spoke to the previous owner of the 05 and found out that I have a JKS 1.25 BL.
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
snellav
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik
I do plan of regearing, putting in auto lockers, and stronger axles. Any recommendations on the gears? I would want to keep the RPMs around 2,500 at 70 mph.

I have a pretty good budget for this build, but I still want to get the most for my money. A $1,000 4" lift + $600 for the SYE/CV + BL seems kind expensive when I could go with a 6" Rough Country for $1,200 + $600...any thoughts?
A 6" lift is excessive to run 35's especially if you plan on keeping your 1"BL. I would go with a Rubicon Express 3.5" super flex kit (an actual 4-4.5 inches) with your 1" Bl. The RE kit shouldnt run you more than a grand.

As far as gearing is concerned, like most people will say, go with 4.88's.

Besides a bigger rear axle, keep in mind your also going to want to upgrade your steering and brakes.

There is also tons of info on this if your do a search
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
TrippinBimmer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

3.5 lift is good for u and D44 with 4.88
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
Stik
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Its looking like I will have to go with a SYE/CV...I had the same problem with my 02SE, guess I should have looked harder for a Rubicon...

I had a 3" Full Traction on my 02 and got 3 inches...I'm going to look into that Rancho lift.

I hate to do things half way. Thanks for all the comments!
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
TrippinBimmer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik
Its looking like I will have to go with a SYE/CV...I had the same problem with my 02SE, guess I should have looked harder for a Rubicon...

I had a 3" Full Traction on my 02 and got 3 inches...I'm going to look into that Rancho lift.

I hate to do things half way. Thanks for all the comments!
Dont look a rancho...Look at OME HD, RE, Nth, or Full Traction.....
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
ToeKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman
I went with 3" Rancho HD springs(raised it 4"),a 3/4" spacer up front and a 1" BL.I clear my 35's fine and only had to drop the t case 1/2" with washers(nothing else).No vibes at all.

that's a little bit of shine you got on them there tires! YIKES!!
ToeKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.