Total loss for ideas! Anyone with deep knowledge?q - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Total loss for ideas! Anyone with deep knowledge?q

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
aschubert

Total loss for ideas! Anyone with deep knowledge?q

97 tj 4.0....prob: surge/hesitation (on acceleration) rough closed loop idle, power loss..rumbles along rather than smooth running...

Heres where it gets interesting: vacuum aces across all tests, compression 125,125,130,124,125,127...stable 40 psi fuel pressure, rebuilt and tested injectors, new Map sensor, tps sensor tests good, new plugs, wires and spark to plugs tested excellent with online tester, new cat, new o2 sensor, new exhaust manifold..no vacuum leaks anywhere...ran through all possible test variations with vacuum gauge. New gas tank and filters. Whining alternator, but output solid. Evap solenoid tested perfect with ohm meter..(only test I knew to run on it)..evap dry, unplugged. All new exhaust system, including cat. Had intake manifold leak for awhile, baked some plugs, but compression and vacuum testing indicates valves, rings good. Seems to be running rich..as if timing was off...but as u know, no adjustment on that..chain jump would cause far more problems...idle air control sensor clean, functioning unknown. Have not done leak down test, symptoms don't point to that revealing anything. Rough idle spotty, not patterned..as if rich...wondering if unburned fuel closest to intake leak that was fixed cartooned up valves and preignition is occurring..anyone got ANY FREAKING SUGGESTIONS! ARGHHHHH! Oh yeah..mileage is down, too.... :confused

aschubert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Try a proper NTK O2 sensor. Mine had symptoms just like yours and the O2 sensor cured it. Just a thought.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried unplugging the upstream O2 sensor?...
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Isn't fuel pressure supposed to be 49psi?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschubert View Post
97 tj 4.0....prob: surge/hesitation (on acceleration) rough closed loop idle, power loss..rumbles along rather than smooth running...

Heres where it gets interesting: vacuum aces across all tests, compression 125,125,130,124,125,127...stable 40 psi fuel pressure, rebuilt and tested injectors, new Map sensor, tps sensor tests good, new plugs, wires and spark to plugs tested excellent with online tester, new cat, new o2 sensor, new exhaust manifold..no vacuum leaks anywhere...ran through all possible test variations with vacuum gauge. New gas tank and filters. Whining alternator, but output solid. Evap solenoid tested perfect with ohm meter..(only test I knew to run on it)..evap dry, unplugged. All new exhaust system, including cat. Had intake manifold leak for awhile, baked some plugs, but compression and vacuum testing indicates valves, rings good. Seems to be running rich..as if timing was off...but as u know, no adjustment on that..chain jump would cause far more problems...idle air control sensor clean, functioning unknown. Have not done leak down test, symptoms don't point to that revealing anything. Rough idle spotty, not patterned..as if rich...wondering if unburned fuel closest to intake leak that was fixed cartooned up valves and preignition is occurring..anyone got ANY FREAKING SUGGESTIONS! ARGHHHHH! Oh yeah..mileage is down, too.... :confused
What brand of 02 sensor did you install?
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
Sparkyman2000
1998 ZJ 

Fuel pressure should be 49psi or within 10%. Check volume of the fuel pump. Make sure pressure doesnt bleed off entirely after 10 mins of turning vehicle off. Is the fuel good? If the LDP is stuck open too much fumes can get into intake cause too rich. I would check vacuum hoses from rear of car to front. Is check engine light on or any codes stored? Charging system ok? not correct voltage and amps the PCM acts wierd. Throttle body clean and decarbonized same with intake?(a Service Bulletin) Oh as far as IAC is concerned I would remove it than plug it back in turn ignition on see if it moves.
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Early TJ, maybe weak exhaust valve springs?
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
twofiveLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead
Have you tried unplugging the upstream O2 sensor?...
X2

I had the same thing going on for a couple months and replaced an tested just about everything. One day I unplugged the o2 sensor.... I haven't plugged it in since
twofiveLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I heard of people having random issues with 97's. Over in the Colorado section of NAXJA (North America XJ Association) they were saying to replace the ecu (computer). That was the last thing they replaced out of desperation and it fixed the random problems on their 97.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiveLO View Post
X2

I had the same thing going on for a couple months and replaced an tested just about everything. One day I unplugged the o2 sensor.... I haven't plugged it in since
That's a troubleshooting step, not a fix...
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A bad injector (or injectors) leaking fuel into the engine is also possible, although less likely than some of the other suggestions that have been made.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
aschubert

LDP? 02 sensorwas whatever orielly's had on a frustrated Sunday....intake and upper engine had 64 oz of sea foam, throttle body pulled off and cleaned already...one other thing...no pressure released when fuel cap removed,but seems like people say that's the norm? Do you mean see if unplugging the iac while running to see if the idle speed moves? Not certain what u meant by that idea....gonna look at all suggestions...Thanks for responses! Will let y'all know...
aschubert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
twofiveLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead

That's a troubleshooting step, not a fix...
"Fixed" my problem until I get around to replacing it
twofiveLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So in other words, we should all go unplug our O2 sensors to fix our rigs?
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That didn't fix anything, it helped identify what needs to be fixed...

Tags
poor fuel mileage , rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.