torx bits / tools ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > torx bits / tools ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line20 Ton Press Brake DIY Builder Kit @ Swag Off RoadPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 03-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
axell2002
2001 TJ Wrangler 

torx bits / tools ? mirrors

anyone know all the sizes of the torx bits for tj wrangler.just got another jeep been a few years and want to restock my tools.looks like a few different sizes.i want to remove mirror mounts,also any suggestions ive heard they can be a little tough to get off
thanks.

Unread 03-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Standard torx up to T55. There are a few security torx. T15 (I think) on the ignition switch, T60 on the roll cage. E-12 female torx socket for the top two bolts on the transmission bell housing. Windscreen/door/tailgate hinges use thread lock so heat or impact hammer can help, If that fails drill out head and remove hinge. turn remainder out with vise grips.
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Gordon-0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I can't stress enough to buy high quality TORX bits. The cheaper ones will start bending the splines back and forth when you use them.

My mirror bolts were easy. But nobody told me it was supposed to be hard. That's probably why.
Gordon-0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
Standard torx up to T55. There are a few security torx. T15 (I think) on the ignition switch, T60 on the roll cage. E-12 female torx socket for the top two bolts on the transmission bell housing. Windscreen/door/tailgate hinges use thread lock so heat or impact hammer can help, If that fails drill out head and remove hinge. turn remainder out with vise grips.
X2 on the T55 i've used that size multiple times and even on my YJ, the ignition switch is T10. I bought a kobalt set of torx and have not had any problems out of those.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There's a multi pack of "craftsman evolve" line, don't buy them, they're trash. they look the part, but break quickly.
husky will twist. as soon as they start to twist, they're useless.
pittsburg will snap.
regular old craftsman line seem to hold up decent.
I'm sure the 40hour a week mechanics will show up shortly and claim that only snap on or matco is acceptable.
if you can, say for the roll cage or track bars, try to break them free with a pipe wrench, then once they've started even the sligthest bit, the threads inside are still fresh, and not butchered from the struggle.
Be prepared to drill & ez-out on hinges.
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

with security torx as used on the ignition switch, I just break off the security spigot with a screwdriver or similar. they are brittle and the security spigot seems to snap easy, but bigger sizes maybe a different story

and my favourite Torx tools are these http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/c...=1&category=10 have used them for years, plus http://www.chapmanmfg.com/ for smaller and hard to get to places
Unread 07-04-2015, 03:16 AM   #7
montrosepatriot
1996 ZJ 

the dream tool 4 the 4.0 oil filter adapter with the T60 bolt head - a T60 torx bit with a 3/4" hex head about 3/4" - 1" tall which can be inserted to undo the OFA bolt (4 the XJ its a tight fit but is of no issue with the ZJ
montrosepatriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2015, 04:24 AM   #8
Thejarhead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Old thread, but some things you can cheap out on. Chinese fuzzy dice to hang off your mirror. ( gag) Tools and parts? Never. You just look for the best deal. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torx-Socket-...959628&vxp=mtr
Thejarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I twisted Lisle bits on the bolts in the bed of my truck. These HF bits have been great, beat on them with my 900ft/lb IR impact and no problems.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-pc-12...set-61336.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.