Torx bit sizes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Torx bit sizes?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
jjt4806
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Torx bit sizes?

Starting to dismantle the 03, and realized I sent my bits with the 01 when we sold it. So now that it gotta go buy some - anyone have an educated guess at the different sizes I will need besides a 45 and 50?

Unread 11-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I find it useful to have pretty much everything from T10-T65, when doing automotive work (but I've got them all the way down to a T4, for small electronics.)
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

T-55 for sure, but I wuld just go buy another complete set if I were you !
Unread 11-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've never needed anything bigger than a T-55 on my TJ - maybe I haven't pulled it apart enough

I seem to go through the T-40's pretty regularly but a whole new set (or 2) would be the way to go.
I say 2 sets becuse the regular socket TORX are invaluable but these T-handle TORX are also very useful - here's a set at Quadratec as an example

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92810_216.htm
torx-2.jpg  
wesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
CharlieHo
Get Savvy

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sears has a torx set in 3/8" drive that's pretty complete for $20-30 dollars.

Can't remember the brand, but, I think it starts with an "L"
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Bomber65
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Probably the Lisle set. I have that one from Sears. Bit size from T10 - T60
Bomber65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
jjt4806
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was going to hit Sears for the set. It's funny how they used the torx - drivers seat had three standard hex and one torx. Crazy.
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Roll cage has a T60 security torx near the door strikers if you are taking that out.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

I have a couple different sets. I did just pick up an impact set in 1/2" drive from Harbor frieght for about $12.00. Guarenteed for life. What the heck.
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
Roll cage has a T60 security torx near the door strikers if you are taking that out.
I passed on getting a bit for these by removing them with a vicegrip and replaced with standard grade 8 bolts.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbabicky View Post
I have a couple different sets. I did just pick up an impact set in 1/2" drive from Harbor frieght for about $12.00. Guarenteed for life. What the heck.
Bear in mind that "the best warranty is the one you don't need."

Snap-On is guaranteed for life, and I don't have to use it very often (if at all.)

Craftsman is guaranteed for life, and i don't have to use it very often either (a bit more than Snap-On, but I'm sure that will change. Wonder what I'll have to source next - S&K? Proto?)

Not much point to a "lifetime warranty" if you've got to take the tool in every time you use it.
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Trust me, I agree totally with you. I am not a Harbor frieght only kinda guy. I do know "You get what you pay for". That's the reason 95% of my tools are Craftsman and Snap-on. I just purchase certain things from Harbor Frieght. You know, the things you'll use maybe once or twice and don't feel like paying a million dollars for. Like I said, I have a couple of sets of torx bits, I just saw those and said what the heck, $12.00, impact, life-time waranty, why not...................what's $12.00.
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Bear in mind that "the best warranty is the one you don't need."

Snap-On is guaranteed for life, and I don't have to use it very often (if at all.)

Craftsman is guaranteed for life, and i don't have to use it very often either (a bit more than Snap-On, but I'm sure that will change. Wonder what I'll have to source next - S&K? Proto?)

Not much point to a "lifetime warranty" if you've got to take the tool in every time you use it.
Ive broken my snap on 88 tooth flex head 3/8 ratchet at work twice already and ive had it for maybe six months. Ive had all of my craftsman ratchets for over 6 years and never broken one. Same thing with Matco, ive broken my 1/2 inch ratchet with a 24 inch handle as well. The tool truck tools aren't always necessarily better, the service they give you is what you pay for, not the tools.
op Lisle makes good quality tools that are affordable. Every tool I have from them is stout and worth what I paid. Gearwrench is also one of the best. Fyi KD tools makes gearwrench and matco brand tools. Same manufacturer, half the price.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
Ive broken my snap on 88 tooth flex head 3/8 ratchet at work twice already and ive had it for maybe six months. Ive had all of my craftsman ratchets for over 6 years and never broken one. Same thing with Matco, ive broken my 1/2 inch ratchet with a 24 inch handle as well. The tool truck tools aren't always necessarily better, the service they give you is what you pay for, not the tools.
op Lisle makes good quality tools that are affordable. Every tool I have from them is stout and worth what I paid. Gearwrench is also one of the best. Fyi KD tools makes gearwrench and matco brand tools. Same manufacturer, half the price.
True - everything's getting cheaper these days.

I too have had excellent results with Lisle - I have a couple of ideas to submit, once I get them drawn up. But, I've got plenty of specialty tools from Lisle, and haven't had any of them fail me.

It's getting hard to find good tools these days...
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
jjt4806
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
I would tend to agree with you - no manufacture is going to have tools that wont break - statistically impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
It's getting hard to find good tools these days...
Quality steel is the hard to come by part. Theres so much recycled metal being used nowadays - its almost too costly to use only "new" raw materials.

Well, first pull on the T55 resulted in a snapped bit. Broke around the socket drive - there was an obvious void in the bit - I'll upload a pic of it - having issues right now with photbucket and the attachment function on this site...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.