Torque Steer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Torque Steer

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Torque Steer

What Causes it and How do I get rid of it?

Back story:
My rig's been pulling left for about a year and a half. It has really been bothering me lately and I have been trying to fix it. So I got a used set of LCA's, thinking my left side was bad and thus allowing the left wheel base to shorten under acceleration. I changed out the left one and it did the same thing. I then swapped the left with the right, and vice-versa. Well, it still does the same thing.

When I pulled the right side though, the axle went back about a half inch and I had to jack the right side up in order to line the holes up to bolt it back in. The left side just sat right in place, didn't have to move it at all. Could this be telling me something about my problem, like a bad UCA or shock, or???

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bad rear tackbar bushing will cause torque steer too.

Not shocks normally, but any of they bushings in the upper and lower arms as well as the trackbar are what stabilizes the axle and torque steer is the rear axle shifting under acceleration
Unread 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
LJ_Cool
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Have you measured the distance between your hubs front to back to ensure they're evenly spaced?

It was almost impossible to get my older JGC to track straight, and it turned out that one side was just wore or adjusted so poorly that the wheelbase was about an inch shorter on one side.

I would check the play in your rear axle too, it's where the main driving thrust is provided, and if it's jimmying to one side under power it will cause you to veer.

Generally, torque steer is more noticable on FWD cars, and is typically caused because the centerline of tire, is not the same as the centerline where the front wheels pivot when turning. A tire on one side will have more traction, and thus cause the tire to pivot the whole steering system when under stronger acceleration.
2006 TJ Unlimited (Midnight Blue #888)
75k- 2.5" lift, riding on 32's with terraflex rocker armor
LJ_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ_Cool View Post

Generally, torque steer is more noticable on FWD cars, and is typically caused because the centerline of tire, is not the same as the centerline where the front wheels pivot when turning. A tire on one side will have more traction, and thus cause the tire to pivot the whole steering system when under stronger acceleration.
Actually "torque steer" may not be the best term, I call it "rear steer". When the bushings in my rear trackbar were shot the jeep would pull left if you were on the gas and then pull left when you took your foot off the gas. It is very noticable and is caused by the rear axle moving with the torque of acceleration.
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Actually "torque steer" may not be the best term, I call it "rear steer". When the bushings in my rear trackbar were shot the jeep would pull left if you were on the gas and then pull left when you took your foot off the gas. It is very noticable and is caused by the rear axle moving with the torque of acceleration.

Correct, but evidently it is not my LCA's, so I'm wondering what else it could be.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565361

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Kpat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Bad rear trackbar bushing will cause torque steer too.
X2 on the rear track bar

Kpat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
Correct, but evidently it is not my LCA's, so I'm wondering what else it could be.
Have you inspected the trackbar bushings? do you have a relocation bracket on the trackbar, they can also loosen.
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm bone stock on the suspension. How could I check the bushings on the trackbar?

Theodore Roosevelt
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

properly you would have to remove the trackbar to inspect then make sure you torque to spec.

However, while you are looking underneath the jeep at the trackbar, have someone push the back of the jeep side to side and see if there is movement at the trackbar ends.
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm still not seeing how this could cause the left side to get closer under acceleration.

Theodore Roosevelt
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Should I be considering poly bushings for everything back there?

Theodore Roosevelt
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #12
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm still not seeing how this could cause the left side to get closer under acceleration.
If the trackbar bushings are shot, it allows the axle to move side to side when accelerating, this will cause the jeep to veer left when accel. and right when you let off the gas. (I could have that backwards it was over a year ago when I had the problem) .

Since you tried replacing LCA the trackbar becomes the prime suspect. The upper control arms arm more for control of axle wrap.
Unread 12-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #13
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...it allows the axle to move side to side when accelerating, this will cause the jeep to veer left when accel. and right when you let off the gas...
I had this problem with shot upper control arm bushings.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #14
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If the trackbar bushings are shot, it allows the axle to move side to side when accelerating, this will cause the jeep to veer left when accel. and right when you let off the gas. (I could have that backwards it was over a year ago when I had the problem) .

Since you tried replacing LCA the trackbar becomes the prime suspect. The upper control arms arm more for control of axle wrap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I had this problem with shot upper control arm bushings.
OK, I'm trying not to replace everything if I don't have to. So what would be the most likely suspect, and how would I check? If I swapped the UCA's, and they are in fact the problem, would it pull tot the right instead?

Theodore Roosevelt
Unread 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
properly you would have to remove the trackbar to inspect then make sure you torque to spec.

However, while you are looking underneath the jeep at the trackbar, have someone push the back of the jeep side to side and see if there is movement at the trackbar ends.
Quote:
OK, I'm trying not to replace everything if I don't have to. So what would be the most likely suspect, and how would I check? If I swapped the UCA's, and they are in fact the problem, would it pull tot the right instead?
Again, either you take things off and inspect or have someone try to shove the rear of the jeep side to side while you check for movement .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.