Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid where in the hell is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid where in the hell is it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
gstensler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid where in the hell is it?

I have an 02 TJ and the TCCS appears to be bad. It only has 62000+- miles. It drives fine but I have noticed a drop in gas milage, to be expected.

I took it to a local shop to be diagnosed and was told it was the mechanical portion of the TCCS itself, from what he could tell. So as we all do I started looking into if I can do it. After doing what I could, as far as research, I can not even find a place (web site, books, ect) that can show me how to access it.

So can anyone tell me? Is it in the tranny itself, on the outside or just flat out hidden. As you can tell I'm not a tranny guru. Should I even attempt this task or just man up and take it in.

My next question is, is there a better one (performance) that I should replace this with.

It is my daily driver but anything to better my jeep would be worth it to me.

Please help if you can

gstensler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The tcc solenoid is on the side of the valve body in the trans.

What was the exact code pulled...not really a code in the system that will tell you there's a "mechanical" problem with the solenoid. There are a few other parameters that can prevent lock up.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
gstensler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The code that shows is the PO740. The shop told me that they ran several different test and that would be there guess without dropping the tranny to look inside.

I have tried several things that other people have mentioned; checked the wire connection at the tranny and even replaced the wire connection. Checked the tranny fluid level, was told if it is over filled that could cause this code.

About the time this happened I had replaced an aux tranny cooler, because of a leak. I have asked before if this could have anything to do with it and nobody seems to think so. What is your thought?

If you have anyother thoughts please shoot them my way as I am open to anything at this point.
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
The solenoid itself is here, on the valve body inside the pan...

Unread 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

All that code tells you is that the clutch did not engage properly.

there are codes specifically for the solenoid failing, that its not one of them.

Check your brake switch and throttle position sensor. Verify fluid level as well.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
All that code tells you is that the clutch did not engage properly.

there are codes specifically for the solenoid failing, that its not one of them.
I believe P0743 is the code for loss of 12 vdc to the PCM from the torque converter lockup solenoid...
Unread 02-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
gstensler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What would the brake switch have to do with it?
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
bruteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstensler View Post
What would the brake switch have to do with it?
in some vehicles,when the pcm receives a signal from the brake switch(brakes applied)the pcm will disengage the torque converter clutch to prevent the engine from stalling.
if the brake switch is faulty or missadjusted,it may keep the tcc from engaging.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
gstensler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got it. Thanks for the info. That will be the next thing to check.
Unread 06-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
indytrucks

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread but, would the brake switch keep the torque convertor from unlocking and or engaging too early?
indytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.