Topping off Coolant Reservoir - Need to add distilled water? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
aberrant
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Topping off Coolant Reservoir - Need to add distilled water?

I topped off my coolant reservoir the other day in my '01 TJ with some Zerex G05, which is not pre-mixed with water. I only needed to add a few cups I'd say, but didn't add any water with it because the guy at the parts store said I wouldn't need to. Is this correct? I'm assuming I'd only need to add distilled water to it if I'm putting in a bunch of coolant. When topping off the reservoir, is it okay to just add the coolant itself or should I add distilled water only instead? Also, since I've already added the coolant straight, should I be concerned or go add some water to it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
engine351
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do what the label on the bottle says to do.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
aberrant
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine351 View Post
Do what the label on the bottle says to do.
There was nothing on the label mentioning topping off the reservoir. I only put in a small amount and the instructions for mixing with water were for adding coolant by the quart.

post #4 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You put a couple of cups in a system designed to hold 9 (2.5 l) or 10.5 (4.0L) quarts. The percentage of coolant to water won't make that big a difference with such a small amount. Leave it alone.

Curly

I start what I finish!
77 Jeep Cherokee S
97 Jeep Wrangler
post #5 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
aberrant
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Curly, okay thanks. For future reference though, would you add just distilled water to the reservoir to top it off, coolant only, or both? I'm not leaking any coolant and the radiator is new so I don't expect to have to add to the reservoir that often, but just wanted to know.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you know that water is the best coolant right?

the antifreeze you add is so it doesnt evaporate or freeze. it decrease the freezing point of water so it doesnt freeze in climates where the temp is below 32F.

if you want to top it off then just add some distilled water. if you live in a mild climate you might not even need much antifreeze.

GO WOLFPACK!
post #7 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 PM
engine351
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would do both. The water will burn off quicker than a mix or concentrate. But like Curly said,,,,unless you're totally refilling the system, its not that big a deal.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I add whats handy. If I'm in the driveway and the hose is nearby, I'll use that. I run my own vehicles about 60% coolant. I only use distilled water in the battery. The tap water where I live is very hard, lots of calcium, but every shop in town that I know of uses tap water to fill cooling systems.

When I was wrenching for a living, I would top off a customers car (oveflow) with coolant because most folks were running around 30% coolant,70% water.

Curly

I start what I finish!
77 Jeep Cherokee S
97 Jeep Wrangler
post #9 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
I topped off my coolant reservoir the other day in my '01 TJ with some Zerex G05, which is not pre-mixed with water. I only needed to add a few cups I'd say, but didn't add any water with it because the guy at the parts store said I wouldn't need to. Is this correct? I'm assuming I'd only need to add distilled water to it if I'm putting in a bunch of coolant. When topping off the reservoir, is it okay to just add the coolant itself or should I add distilled water only instead? Also, since I've already added the coolant straight, should I be concerned or go add some water to it?
If you add water, make sure that it's distilled water. You can always check the antifreeze balance with a hydrometer...
post #10 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 09:53 PM
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

..........what if its bottled dasani water?
post #11 of 19 Old 09-26-2010, 05:56 AM
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check it (prefer refractometer) and add whichever is apprpriate. A few cups here or there may not make such a big difference but how often are you adding coolant? Be careful, it can add up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 19 Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 AM
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
you know that water is the best coolant right?

the antifreeze you add is so it doesnt evaporate or freeze. it decrease the freezing point of water so it doesnt freeze in climates where the temp is below 32F.

if you want to top it off then just add some distilled water. if you live in a mild climate you might not even need much antifreeze.
I believe the antifreeze also raises the boiling point and provides corrosion protection internally. If the temperature is below freezing, or likely to drop below freezing in the near future, I wouldn't add plain water. It may freeze in the reservoir and crack it.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
I add whats handy. If I'm in the driveway and the hose is nearby, I'll use that. I run my own vehicles about 60% coolant. I only use distilled water in the battery. The tap water where I live is very hard, lots of calcium, but every shop in town that I know of uses tap water to fill cooling systems.

When I was wrenching for a living, I would top off a customers car (oveflow) with coolant because most folks were running around 30% coolant,70% water.

Curly
That hard water will build up in your radiator tubes and act as an insulator. Once it starts, it'll continue to build up and eventually plug the tube. Distilled water is cheap, I always keep a few bottles around. If your not concerned about the radiator, then why worry about the battery?

Two reasons I never want the folks at the shops to top off any of my liquids. One, they always use the wrong thing, in this case tap water and two, if I'm losing fluid, I want to know.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
That hard water will build up in your radiator tubes and act as an insulator. Once it starts, it'll continue to build up and eventually plug the tube. Distilled water is cheap, I always keep a few bottles around. If your not concerned about the radiator, then why worry about the battery?

Two reasons I never want the folks at the shops to top off any of my liquids. One, they always use the wrong thing, in this case tap water and two, if I'm losing fluid, I want to know.
I'm going to disagree with you on the hard water causing problems. I have never seen a radiator fail (30 + yrs here) due to hard water deposits UNLESS the owner was using only straight water with no Coolant of any kind. We see a lot of that here because it never gets that cold (no freeze) and it is usually in the beater cars.
I have seen lots of radiator failures due to failed tank seams, but that has nothing to do with the hard water.

Curly

I start what I finish!
77 Jeep Cherokee S
97 Jeep Wrangler
post #15 of 19 Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
The tap water where I live is very hard, lots of calcium, but every shop in town that I know of uses tap water to fill cooling systems.
That's because tap water is essentially free.....the shop owner has to buy distilled water. They are not doing it because it is the right thing to do nor because it doesn't harm the cooling system.....they are using tap water because it doesn't cost them more money out of pocket. Think about it.

Edit: And yes, I have seen radiators that are internally plated with mineral content buildup.

Stu Olson
ARB Locked & Loaded

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.