Tools, knowledge to install 3" Full Traction lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tools, knowledge to install 3" Full Traction lift

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
00TJcruisin

Tools, knowledge to install 3" Full Traction lift

I'm planning on getting the 3" FT economy suspension lift here:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...?prod=FTS-7503

and some new FT shocks with the kit. I plan on doing the install myself (but never done one before) and was wondering if there is any additional hardware that I need to purchase with the kit/shocks.

Also, what special tools will I need to line up in advance? I've searched the heck out of the forum and got a few ideas. I was wondering if anybody had created a comprehensive list of necessary stuff that they could post or send me.

Does anybody know how good the instructions are that come with this or of a good install write-up on the net for this kit. I found a wirte-up on a 3.5" RE install through another thread here, which has helped me a lot.

Thanks.

00TJcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

.......................misread.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
happycamper
1986 XJ Cherokee 

large jack stands ,basic had tools , a good floor jack, drill , and a 9/16 drill bit( I think that was the size)and a friend, it will make it allot easier with 4 hands. The instructions aren't that bad. Good luck
Gone but not forgot. 2000 Sahara 4.0, auto, 4"rock krawler x factor long arm, 33x12.50x15 M.T. Mtz, M.T. classic lock rims,30/44 limited slip, land runner safari rack, land runner front, and rear bumpers, warn 8000i winch, cobra cb, jks 1.25" bl, brown dog 1" mm lift.AA sye, J.E. Reel drive shaft, Aussie locker, Rock Crusher front cover
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you can't jack up your vehicle enough to drop the axle to manually remove the springs then you will need a set of spring compressors. I had to disco my front LCAs to get them in.

The instructions tell you to disco the front driveshaft and that's something I did not have to do at all.

Also, you're instructed to put the bumpstop extensions before you install the springs, which is a bit foolish because it's so much easier to finish installing them after the springs are on (unless you have some kick arse spring compressors).

See here and here and here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/full-traction-roll-call-questions-506238/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/help-3-full-traction-lift-488918/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/full-traction-3-lift-drill-bit-468794/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/those-who-have-installed-full-traction-lifts-418195/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/full-traction-installation-help-365931/
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A pair of 6 ton jack stands (3 ton jack stands are strong enough but not tall enough) and a floor jack would be good to have. If you have a Harbor Freight Tools store close by you can get those there pretty cheap. A set of 1/2" drive sockets will be required, with 3/8" drive sockets being nice to have for a few spots like when you're doing the lower shock mounts. Also a good selection of combination open-end/box-end wrenches would be good. For the suspension, my '97 TJ uses mixed SAE/metric size hardware but newer TJs are mostly metric. Having both would be best of course.

You should not need a spring compressor. By disconnecting the shocks, antiswaybar links, and trackbar, the axle should droop down enough to get the springs in and out. You can get the axle to droop by supporting the Jeep via the 6 ton jackstands under the frame. Once the Jeep is jacked up via the axle, insert the jack stands. Then once you have everything disco'd, you can lower the axle down via the floor jack and the springs should be loose at that point.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
LDO
2007 JK Wrangler 

This is a simple thing to complete. I did mine over two days by myself. Take your time and depending on the age/condition of your jeep you may want to spray all the bolts with some type of liquid wrench to help loosen them up.

A good set of Torx head sockets will be needed. I think I used 50 and 55. I had to buy the 55 because my set did not come with it.

The hardest part was getting the bushings and bars in the shocks!!! If you have a vise or bar clamps this task is much easer.

I left the LCA's attached but did need to insert the stock jack between the frame and axle to help get enough room for the front spring to be placed in without a compresser.

Good luck and just take your time and make sure to retorque all the bolts & CA'a once completed.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Look in my sig and go to my build thread. For some of the "tougher" parts of the install it's practically a how-to on pages 2-3 IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
I left the LCA's attached but did need to insert the stock jack between the frame and axle to help get enough room for the front spring to be placed in without a compresser.
I am by no means an expert at any of this, but this just sounds like a terrible idea to me. I know I for one would be scared ****less doing that!
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
I am by no means an expert at any of this, but this just sounds like a terrible idea to me. I know I for one would be scared ****less doing that!
Works fine, I have had to do that myself several times. It's not scary at all since if the jack slips out, the axle might move back up an inch and the jack might fall out. No big deal.

Unread 09-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That kit is much cheaper here... http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true

Any word on the quality of these kits? I read some posts about sagging.
Outlaw I wheels w/3.75" Backspacing
Bethlehem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
00TJcruisin

Great Info!

Thanks for the links BlackBellamy, those are good threads.

Jerry, great tool info.

I'm ordering the kit this morning.
00TJcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered the kit a few minutes ago at... http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true

It's on sale for today and MAYBE tomorrow. It cost me $346.49 for the kit, $31.94 tax and $54.00 shipping for a grand total of $432.43.

If it's as good as you guys are saying I think I'm going to love it. I just wish I knew what it is going to look like with my 31"s.

I still need to order shocks but don't know anything about them. Time to start reading about shocks I guess.

I'm excited!
Unread 09-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Commonly pushed shocks to avoid would be ProComp ES-3000, Skyjacker Nitro, Rubicon Express twin-tubes, and Rancho R5000, all four of those are too stiff riding for a Wrangler. Good riding shocks include OME (Old Man Emu), Skyjacker Hydros, or Rubicon Express Monotubes. If you're not careful on your shock choice, your TJ can end up riding like a buckboard wagon.

Unread 09-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you're not careful on your shock choice, your TJ can end up riding like a buckboard wagon.
Thanks for the info Jerry. What do you reccomend for a daily driver that only goes offroad occasionally and not for long distances? I guess comfort is key for me.

If this is getting off-topic please feel free to PM me. Thanks for your advice.
Unread 09-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethlehem View Post
Thanks for the info Jerry. What do you reccomend for a daily driver that only goes offroad occasionally and not for long distances? I guess comfort is key for me.

If this is getting off-topic please feel free to PM me. Thanks for your advice.
I already gave three very specific shock recommendations immediately above. Pick one based on your budget.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.