Too hot to drive - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Too hot to drive

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lizardskin is a cool paint on product that you can use on driver side tub area by the exhaust.

JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude735 View Post
Just wanted you all to know that the diverter door thing fixed the problem!!!! The picture also helped a lot!! My wife is very please with all of you!! Thanks again for your help. I'm going to put insulation down as well to help with the heat around the transmission. Thanks again!
Hey Randomdude, what exactly did you do to fix it? I need to know as well.
ShakaBrahTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
butch97

Glad you fixed it, thanks!
butch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The blend door is likely stuck on hot.

Slide the lever while watching the arm circled below.

If the arm does not move, you can move it by hand over to cold as a temporary fix.

Attachment 427838
Hey Wheelin98TJ, I'm having the same problem as Randomdude, however, I checked and the arm and it does move when I slide the lever. Pretty sure it's going to be related to this, because I feel warm air coming from the floor vents. Any other ideas? I was curious what Randomdude did exactly to fix his.
Unread 07-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakaBrahTJ View Post
Hey Wheelin98TJ, I'm having the same problem as Randomdude, however, I checked and the arm and it does move when I slide the lever. Pretty sure it's going to be related to this, because I feel warm air coming from the floor vents. Any other ideas? I was curious what Randomdude did exactly to fix his.
That is bad news.

I think you need to pull the dash so you can crack open the heater box. It sounds like your blend door has become unattached from the lever arm, the arm you see that is still moving.

I've never dealt with your specific issue first hand, so I'd recommend you do a little more research on the forum here to verify what I'm saying.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
Randomdude735
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, it was easy.... I just flipped the lever in the picture and the heat stopped. I guess I got lucky.
Randomdude735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have some experience in this area, so hopefully I can shed some light on it. If you have a 1997 (or even up to a mid year 1998 like mine) then you have mechanical sliders as opposed to electrical HVAC control knobs which began to appear in 1999 models (or some late year 1998 production runs). When pushing the slider and no change happens to the white knob in the picture (under the dash) then most likely the steel cable is disconnected or broken as in my case.

Also, even after I replaced my steel cable it may not fix the problem because there is a small green connector on the bottom of the blower motor which the cable attaches to. Mine is broken, so I have to replace this as well.

Hope it helps.
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
That is bad news.

I think you need to pull the dash so you can crack open the heater box. It sounds like your blend door has become unattached from the lever arm, the arm you see that is still moving.

I've never dealt with your specific issue first hand, so I'd recommend you do a little more research on the forum here to verify what I'm saying.
I can see it moving and I feel a huge temperature change when I go between hot and cold. And my cab wasnt getting as hot as Randomdude's going down the road. I'm guess it's just not closing all the way or something. I appreciate you getting me in the right direction.
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude735 View Post
Well, it was easy.... I just flipped the lever in the picture and the heat stopped. I guess I got lucky.
Cool. I just wasn't sure if you had to do a whole bunch of mechanic stuff to it.
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #25
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenone View Post
I have some experience in this area, so hopefully I can shed some light on it. If you have a 1997 (or even up to a mid year 1998 like mine) then you have mechanical sliders as opposed to electrical HVAC control knobs which began to appear in 1999 models (or some late year 1998 production runs). When pushing the slider and no change happens to the white knob in the picture (under the dash) then most likely the steel cable is disconnected or broken as in my case.

Also, even after I replaced my steel cable it may not fix the problem because there is a small green connector on the bottom of the blower motor which the cable attaches to. Mine is broken, so I have to replace this as well.

Hope it helps.
Thanks greenone. I do in fact have the cable set up you described. But the cable is still connected and the arm does move to shut the diverted door. I also can tell huge temperature changes when I go between hot and cold. I really only notice the heat when I drive down the road with the fan off. I can feel a warm "breeze" coming from the floor vents. I believe now the diverted door just isn't shutting all the way.

Thanks for the help. I'll hit you guys back if I can't get it.

Tags
dash , heat , hot

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.