Tommy's Jeep Build Journal - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tommy's Jeep Build Journal

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #91
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No, I'm doing the rear, too, but not for another couple weeks. I only have time to get the front done before the Jeep Jamboree next week so the rear has to wait for now.

Tommy

Unread 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #92
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent build thread! I'd love to try building my own kit too. I just put on the RE 5.5 LA tri-link kit 2 weeks ago and I ran into the same problem with the tie rod end hitting the stabilizer bolt. I was able to improve it slightly by shortening the uppers to lean the axle back a bit but it still contacts the bolt head. I was thinking of using a cutoff disc to cut the two welds at the bottom of the factory bracket, heating the bracket and bending it in towards the spring some, and then rewelding it. And for the disconnect getting hit I was able to avoid that by using clips that were just large enough instead of the huge ones that come with the RE discos. Let me what you come up with to solve the bolt head issue!
imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #93
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got the arms all welded up tonight and primed and applied a quick coat of satin black. It could use a better paint job, but I don't really care about that right now.

Tomorrow after work I hope to get things wrapped up.

Tommy
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #94
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i'm going with the la set-up myself. i have eveything i need to do the job except the adj. rear trackbar. i'm doing the front first so i'm gonna need it till i do rear. how hard is it to fab yourself? i've been thinking about letting someone who has done this before do it for me. just curious.
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #95
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's a lot of labor, but that's not really the hard part to me. It's the most time consuming, but the hardest part is determining where/what/how much/how to cut/weld/tweak/etc. Lots of double and triple measuring going on before cutting and I'm still having issues pop up here and there. Having the right tools in an organized and roomy garage would REALLY help out.

Tommy
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #96
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Driveshaft and skid plate back on...

Everything torqued down and sitting on it's wheels again!

Time to come up with a solution for the sway bar mount and drag link ball joint interference.... So I cut off and ground down the culprits and then started mocking up a replacement:

It's not pretty, but it should work. I'll make some prettier when I have more time:

It's at the shop getting an alignment right now and then it's off to 4 Wheel Parts for a trip up their RTI ramp so I can check for clearances.

Tommy
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #97
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Success!! Well, success so far. I drove it to NTB to get an alignment and everything was in spec except for the toe (of course). The camber was unchanged, but the big thing is that the caster was nearly spot on at 6.5 and 6.7 degrees. I would've preferred 6, but that's good enough for me. I can always lengthen the uppers to reduce the caster a bit. Easy cheesy. And best as they could tell with their equipment the axle was square relative to the chassis! I'm really excited. After all this work, it's scary to get that first alignment. You don't know if the specs are way off or if you'll have all the adjustment range you'll need, etc. This was a huge milestone for me.

It drives great! Granted, I've only done the front suspension so far, but it rides so much nicer than before. I'm really encouraged that after the rear is done this thing is going to feel like a Cadillac compared to the way it was. I also managed to hit some really big, ugly speed bumps and everything felt (and still looks) very, very solid.

I don't know if I'll get chance to test it on the RTI ramp or offroad before the Jeep Jamboree next weekend, but so far things are falling into place nicely.

Tommy
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #98
Hopper_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

VERY nice Tommy

I need to get over there to see it in person one of these days; if you could use a gofer one weekend let me know; I'd be happy to help.

Where is the Jamboree this weekend?
Hopper_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #99
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! The JJ is in Llano at Inks Ranch. Great venue!! I'll be starting on the rear suspension in about two weeks or so. You're always more than welcome to come by. I'm in NW Austin now near 183/McNeil.

Tommy
Unread 03-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #100
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just got back from the Texas Spring Spur Jeep Jamboree (say that five times real fast) in Llano, Texas. This was my first time wheelin' the Jeep with the new front long arm setup.

Thursday we headed out. I borrowed a trailer from a friend and towed the Jeep behind my Suburban. It also doubled as my tent. We grilled some dinner and enjoyed some beer and some Crown at camp.

Friday we got up early and assembled with the rest of the pack:

My new co-pilot was ready for a great day of wheelin':

In line on one of the trails about to head up to "Balancing Rock":

My buddy broke a track bar mount on the front of his TJ. This got him back to camp where he found someone with a welder to fix it. He wheeled the next day without any issues:

Strapping a friend after his diff hung him up on this rock:

Cool scenary. This is a lake on the mountain where the ranch owners have their house. It's very low right now:
Unread 03-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #101
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Staturday we woke up after a really hard rain to everything in our campsite being SOAKED. And despite my Jeep having doors, a bikini top, and a windjammer UNDERNEATH a trail cover, I was treated to this when I opened the door:

I pulled the plugs and let it drain out. I think I'll be removing the carpet and bedlining the interior sooner than expected. And here I am on a trail called "Moab":

And Sunday morning we packed up and headed home:

Overall, it was a great weekend. The trip on Moab was really slow 'cause we had too many rigs with us, but we still had a great time. I've got friends who've also taken lots of pics. I'll get them uploaded when I can. In the meantime, here's a link to all my pictures.

Tommy
Unread 03-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #102
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How was the ride on the 4.5" re lift? Nice jeep. Lovin the yellow.
4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #103
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

With the short arms it's not so great. Better than a lifted YJ, IMO, but no where near as nice as it is now even with just the front long arm done.
Unread 03-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #104
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking about that lift and if I want it. What shocks are on it? re?
4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #105
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nope. It's currently got Skyjackers which are grossly underdamped and I don't recommend. I picked up some Rancho RS9000s and installed the rears prior to the Jamboree, but will not get around to installing the fronts until later this week.

Tommy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.