Tommy's Jeep Build Journal - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tommy's Jeep Build Journal

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-13-2008, 11:21 PM   #76
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lackluster progress today. Spent nearly the ENTIRE day just running around chasing parts and crap.

Here's the driver's side chassis bracket taking shape along with the beginnings of one of the semicircular cut-outs for the control arm:

Front lower bracket cut off and lower control arm installed (along with rubber bushing):

Approximate location of lower control arm:

Tomorrow should be a much more productive day.... I hope.

Tommy

Unread 03-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #77
MLA 97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking Jeep. I'm jealous, I wish I had the skills to build my own stuff. Good Luck with the build.

1997 Sport w/ RE 3.5" SuperFlex, RE Monotubes, 33x12.5x15 Trxus M/T, Currie Steering, Currie Anti-Rock, front & rear Rubicon Dana 44 w/ 4.88 gears, factory air lockers, Alloy axle shafts, Superwinch epi9.0, QuickAir II, CB, Hi-Lift Jack & skid plates.

1992 CDN M101 Trailer Stock for now. Future Mods: wheels, tires, bed liner, & paint
MLA 97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #78
AlTheKillerr

wanna make me some stuff?
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #79
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
wanna make me some stuff?
No. No, I don't. But thanks for the confidence builder. Seriously, although nothing looks "hard" yet, this is actually quite a bit of work. But making sparks is fun.

Tommy
Unread 03-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #80
plk457
2007 JK Wrangler 

That all looks awesome. Great fabrication skills.
plk457 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #81
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
No. No, I don't. But thanks for the confidence builder. Seriously, although nothing looks "hard" yet, this is actually quite a bit of work. But making sparks is fun.

Tommy
darn

ill have to find a place when i get back to texas to make my current cage into a sport cage like some of the YJs have.
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #82
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I made some more progress today until my chop saw blade lost a chunk. D'oh! Here's some pics...

On the left: Cut out with a sawzall (straights) and a cut off wheel (curve).
On the right: The plasma cutter I never could get to work right. Any suggestions on what's wrong to generate that much splatter?

Driver's side chassis mount coming together:

And now with a bolt!!

The angle is cut so that face will be flush to the side of the frame rail. I'll get a better pic of that later:

Some of the chamfering for the bracket. I did both inside and outside of the vertical bracket:

Here's where I need some welding help. I now am using the larger Hobart 185 amp welder with Ar/CO2. I set the speed and voltage to their recommendations for 1/4" steel, but two things are wrong. 1) There's a TON of splatter. 2) I have to move the torch faster than I'd like because the puddle of weld seems to accumulate too quickly. So I started doing smaller C's when laying down the bead along with moving quicker. I think they look okay, but I was getting nicer welds with my dinky 135 amp MIG. Is my wire speed too high or how? What about the voltage? Maybe more or less gas?

I think the pics make the welds look a little worse than they really appear, but the splatter is pretty accurately depicted. Thoughts?

Tommy
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #83
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

FYI, I determined that the polarity of the welder was reversed. It's fixed now.

Tommy
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #84
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

More progress....

Looking down the driver's side arm toward the chassis mount. You can see why there was an angle cut on the mount because of the bend in the frame rail:

Mocking up the control arm and chassis mount on the driver's side while the passenger side is still untouched with the Rubicon Express (short) control arms:

BTW, those are Centramatic wheel balancers shown on the hub in the above pic.

Driver's side mount tacked into place:

And passenger side also tacked into place:

I may be taking the day off tomorrow to enjoy some Austin fun, but I'll be back working on it soon enough. Next up is to remove the exhaust and driveshaft to finish welding up the mounts and then I need to make the upper control arms and brackets.

Tommy
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #85
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got a fair amount done today, but very little visible. I removed the skidplate to provide access to welding the mounts to the frame rails. I dropped the driveshaft and exhaust for this same reason. I then installed the lower arms and set the wheelbase approximately 1.5"-2" longer than it was. I also removed the Rubicon Express upper arms and finalized how I'm going to build the upper parts of the radius arms. I should all be tacked together later tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, here's a pic as it sits right now:

BTW, here's a direct link to all my pics so far:
http://tommyr.smugmug.com/gallery/45...Wpwa#265298122

Tommy
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #86
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good and beefy.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #87
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Made some progress tonight. So I decided to make new front lowers because the originals weren't providing enough thread engagement with the elongated front wheelbase. Here's the new arms installed at the same length the original ones were set at. I estimate the wheelbase now to be approximately 1.5" longer than it was.

I'll use the original front lowers for the rear lowers. That'll be in a couple weeks.

I also welded the brackets to the frame rails. Not entirely, because I want a second person around to hold the exhaust out of the way while I weld inside the rails, but it's coming along nicely. I started with tight welds and made 2-3 passes so far:

The second issue I've come across is this... The sway bar and bracket contact the drag link ball joint when turning to full lock. I tried using a sleeve of tubing to raise the pin out of the way and it worked, but it just revealed the ball joint/bracket issues. I'll hack the OEM bracket and make something that'll provide more clearance.

Believe it or not, the bolt head doesn't contact the ball joint, but it's way too close. But, the axle is lacking some caster at the moment so when leaned back it may be a non-issue:

Tommy
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #88
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dangit. I would've had all the welding done tonight, but I ran through the spool of wire before I finished. Ugh! Anyway, so tonight I made the upper arms, finished welding the brackets to the frame, and got everything tacked together. Here's some pics....

And removed ready for final welding:

Tomorrow I finish welding and start painting and clearance the ball joint/sway bar bracket. Friday I reassemble. Saturday I take it to get aligned. I can't wait!

Tommy
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #89
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

very nice work!
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #90
miguelitojeep97

wait so are you just doing the long arms in front?
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.