Tommy's Jeep Build Journal - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tommy's Jeep Build Journal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #586
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

*sigh* I was hoping my issues with my new Rampage top were over, but today after my Jeep was partially underneath my yard sprinkler I noticed my driver's seat was soaking wet. Of course, I noticed this AFTER sitting down. Turns out a seam directly above the driver's seat was opened up a bit and letting the sun shine through. Unfortunately, that means other stuff can come through, as well.

Looks like it's time to take this top back to 4 Wheel Parts for a replacement......again.

Unread 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #587
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice jeep!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #588
bpdp379
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any chance you could throw up some final shots of the three link and how everything is routed?
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #589
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdp379 View Post
Any chance you could throw up some final shots of the three link and how everything is routed?
Sure thing... As soon as I get back to town I'll grab some pics.
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #590
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
This past weekend I went to Trees Ranch with some friends. Since my contract ended at IBM I decided it wouldn't be a wise financial move to tow my Jeep down there (it would've been over $200 just in fuel). But a friend offered me a ride in his rig so I took him up on it. For those unaware, Trees is a private ranch about an hour and a half west of Kerrville. It's a great place!
:
Jeep looks good man, I thought those pictures looked familiar. I went to Trees Ranch back in April, most of the club camped out but my passengers couldn't stay. Woke up at 4am that morning drove out to Kerville, wheeled, stopped at The County Line for dinner with my sister that graduated from TU and the drove back home arriving about 2am the next morning, very long day.
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #591
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, "out with the old" as they say...

It's time for some long overdue work on the Jeep. Back in February or so I converted the front from radius arms to a 3 link setup. In the very near future I'll build some new arms so I can sell the radius arms to a local buyer. But in the meantime I've got some really cool stuff to install.

The parts list includes a Clayton track bar setup with a double shear chassis mount. I've also got a Currie steering setup with the Savvy HD tie rod. Because I had to ream the knuckles from the top I picked up some tapered tie rod inserts to put in the knuckles (after I drill them out to 3/4". The passenger side will remain under the knuckle, but the driver's side will go on top. I also have some Savvy sway bar mounts that will be a lot stronger than the hoopty arrangement I've been running. Should go great with the Anti-Rock!

Here most of the stuff has been removed. I also have lopped off the original passenger side upper mount on the axle and I started removal of the makeshift steering stabilizer mount I put on some time back.

And after quite a bit of metal dust has been inhaled...

While I've got the front end torn down I'm going to take the opportunity to give the front axle a fresh coat of satin black and the springs/shocks a fresh coat of silver. Trying to make the Jeep look good again. Should have more pics throughout the next couple days.
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #592
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin' good!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #593
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Kyle! Eventually, I'll get a Gen Right tank so I can stretch mine like you did.
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #594
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, Kyle! Eventually, I'll get a Gen Right tank so I can stretch mine like you did.
Nice! Links and coils? Leafs? Coilovers?
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #595
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looking good!

Knowing Tommy, when he stretches it he'll get king coil overs dipped in gold and then bedazzle them with jewels. haha

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #596
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jack ***.

When it comes time to stretch it, it'll utilize the Gen Right tank and full rear corner protection (no comp cut stuff for me!). I'll definitely keep coils, but the budget at the time will determine if I go coilovers or not. I'd love to, but that's not really a high priority to be honest. I'll also have to decide if I want to go with high lines or not. Right now I'm not so sure I'll need them since my end goal is just 37s, but you never know....
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #597
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jack ***.

When it comes time to stretch it, it'll utilize the Gen Right tank and full rear corner protection (no comp cut stuff for me!). I'll definitely keep coils, but the budget at the time will determine if I go coilovers or not. I'd love to, but that's not really a high priority to be honest. I'll also have to decide if I want to go with high lines or not. Right now I'm not so sure I'll need them since my end goal is just 37s, but you never know....
Sounds like a solid plan. Do you plan to run 37s with the Dana 30?
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #598
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Sounds like a solid plan. Do you plan to run 37s with the Dana 30?
No, sir. I may temporarily, but the eventual plan is to run a full width HP D44 up front. I'll keep the current TJ D44 in the rear, but have a 35 spline ARB and alloys for it. I may use spacers to max the width of the front. I'm already using 1.25" spacers on each side.

Over time I'll build up the front D44 with alloys and such. I think even if I eventually decide on 39s or so these axles will do fine for me. I'm definitely not a "skinny pedal wheeler".

By the time my current tires wear out (still a long ways out), I'm hoping to step up to some 37x12.50-17s and beadlocks (again). I'll also do away with my spare tire at that time. I'll just keep a junky spare on the trailer.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #599
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is this harbor freight stick welded creation ready to wheel yet? I'm itching to hit some park roads and level 3 trails!

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #600
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool it there, sparky.... I've been traveling a bunch for work and have had little time to devote to it. That being said, however, I'm going to do my damndest to get it ready for Katemcy at the end of this month!

Just need to build the lower control arms to get it back on the ground. Then I'd really like to get the ARB compressor, rear air locker, and 35 spline rear shafts installed. May also re-do the rear shock mounts, but may wait 'til I'm ready to buy some Bilsteins after what you went through trying to run the Ranchos (which I'm also running).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.