Tommy's Jeep Build Journal - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tommy's Jeep Build Journal

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #31
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TjSahara
Is that a public Jeep trail in Bastrop? I've been looking for a place to wheel but it seems there arnt any around me. Bastrop would be the closest so far.
Yeah, but I don't know their hours of operation. It's "Rusty's" in Cedar Creek, TX. Unfortunately, I don't know any more about it.

Unread 11-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #32
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisling
I've enjoyed reading the thread so far. You are right, tires and flares in the beginning made a drastic difference and it just keeps getting better. Sweet ride.

Partial hijack, but if you wouldn't mind, could you give me some more details on the top hoist you made? Anymore pictures? Specifically, how is your frame built to hold the top.

I really need to get a hoist rather than depend on friends to help me with my top... I'm just sure I can do it cheaper than the $190 or so it would cost to buy one outright.
Thanks for the kind words. It's about to get a whole lot cooler lookin' now that I've found a job. (Got laid off a month ago)

For the hoist I used some strips of unistrut, some big J hooks (visible in the pics), and some smaller threaded J hooks (not really visible) to connect the big J's to the struts. I used 3 of each hook.

The winch is a Harbor Freight special. $25 bought the winch, hook, and cable. All I had to buy were some pullies I mounted to studs in the wall/ceiling. Total outlay of cash was maybe $50 for everything.
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #33
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Stupid CEL came back on the other day. I need to get the codes read, but I'm just hoping the misfire is gone and that now I'm only down to the "emissions leak" codes.
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:58 AM   #34
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Went wheelin' at my friend's ranch yesterday. Lots of mud slingin' this time in one of their tanks. Overall, a pretty fun day....

After my first pass through the tank:

Justin's big Dodge:

Travis was trying to make his VERY tired 351 give up the ghost, but it just wouldn't die....though it was making no power:

Ryan and Kristin's stocker didn't quite make it this time so I had to strap them up:

Justin hung up in some deep ruts. He sunk his 37" BFGs:

"Honey, throw them the strap!"
Unread 11-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #35
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Falling into the hole near the end:

Justin found it, too:

And so did Travis:

Why am I always strappin' people?

Lunch at Travis' parents' place. Nice view off their back porch:

Now for some trails:

And Joey and Travis playing in the creek. Joey ended up sucking in a ton of water into his CJ5's 304 so we pulled the plugs, cranked it for about 2 minutes to get all the water out, cleaned off the plugs, etc. and it fired right up!
Unread 11-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #36
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

AK showed up later on with his beast:

Travis needs beadlocks. I ordered some fancy ones earlier this week:

Randy stuck his new-to-him '78 Bronco:

Unread 11-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #37
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the rest of the pics:
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...ry/16655/60854

And the videos:
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...ry/16655/60862

A little crawlin':

In the creek:

Ouch!

Not quite crawlin':

Trying unsuccessfully to kill the 351:
Unread 11-29-2007, 11:04 PM   #38
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yesterday my Trailready beadlocks came in! I got four mounted up, but they didn't send me a valve stem for the last one so it'll have to wait. The ride so far (with 10 oz. of Innovative Balancing beads) is fine 'til 70 mph and it starts getting unsettling up front....and my death wobble has returned. I'm suspecting one of the fronts is out of round, not out of balance. I'll work on that Friday night or Sunday.

Rear driveshaft is squeaking. I suspect the u-joints need greasing after the mudfest last time I wheeled.

Today I picked up a Poison Spyder Trail Cage and my Ruff Stuff Specialties front and rear diff covers showed up in the mail.

Tomorrow I pick up a Duster from 4 Wheel Parts.

Unread 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #39
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

looking good.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 11:44 PM   #40
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Tyler...

Behold, teh new hawtness!

Unread 12-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #41
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those beadlocks give it a totally different look.

subscribing
Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #42
Saisling

Love the beadlocks. Those wheeling pics looked like a lot of fun.
Saisling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #43
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. Yeah, I'm loving the beadlocks. It somehow made the Jeep look more "built", but also added some nice cosmetics, too. A win/win!
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #44
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I installed my Ruff Stuff Specialties diff covers and since it's "winter" here in Texas I installed a wind jammer behind the bikini top.

Unread 12-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #45
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Trailready Customer Service

So I had some issues when I got my Trailreadys.

1. They shorted me one valve stem. No biggie. I called them the next day and they were putting one in the mail. It just meant I have to run around without a spare for a few days, right?

2. The valve stems don't accept the valve core filter that comes with the Dynabeads. It's because the stems are angled. No biggie. I'll be getting rid of the beads sometime soon anyway. I wouldn't bother Trailready about this issue since it's not their fault.

3. The center caps said "Eagle Alloy" on them despite the fact that I had steel wheels that I suspect were Cragars. As it turns out, they don't fit well and got crushed between the wheel and hub surface. So I removed them.

4. I've been fighting an imbalance or centering issue. I suspected this with a beadlock. I didn't directly attribute this to the wheels and suspected my mounting method needed work. While I didn't attribute this to the wheels, I would ask them about any helpful tips or suggestions they may have to improve it.

So I got the wheels on the Nov. 28th. On the 29th (the next day) I told them about the missing valve stem. This past Friday (8 days later) I called again since I haven't received the valve stem yet. I also wanted to inquire about some of the other issues I noted above.

1. Missing Valvestem: "It went out two days ago (a week late). It just sat on someone's desk all last week. Not sure why." I thought that sucked, but not that big a deal. I'm getting tired of running around with no spare, though!

2. Center Caps: "Well, the steel wheels don't ship with center caps. We just sent you some from a set of alloy wheels, but they don't fit properly." Gee, thanks for telling me that my very expensive wheels don't come with center caps!! I'll just order them myself from Cragar.

3. Imbalance/Centering: "Actually that's most likely the wheels. Yeah, those steel wheels are very untrue." Again, GREAT! So these expensive wheels aren't likely true. Again, something I would've liked to have known beforehand. Maybe I would've opted for aluminum wheels instead.

In the end, these aren't HUGE deals to me. But I was a bit disappointed. I expected a bit more given the cost of the product I purchased. These wheels are expensive! To be honest, everyone at TR whom I've spoken with has been very polite and helpful. I'm still glad I got the wheels and I'm sure I'll get the imbalance issue resolved, but I typically hold my vendors to a higher standard....especially one with such a good reputation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.