toe in, balance, alignment help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > toe in, balance, alignment help

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 06-14-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
joemomma4040

toe in, balance, alignment help

I have a 97 jeep tj 4.0l it has a 3" fulltraction lift and 33x12.5 goodyear wranglers. When driving at any speed my tires seem to make a humming noise if I turn the steering wheel to the right slightly the sounds gets worse, if I turn it to the left the sound goes away. What is this tire balance, toe in allignment? Also the tires do not seem to be wearing unevenly. Any help is appreciated

joemomma4040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go with toe, easy to set yourself. If the tires were out of balance, you'd likely have vibration. Here's a good start:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
pilot-one
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma4040 View Post
I have a 97 jeep tj 4.0l it has a 3" fulltraction lift and 33x12.5 goodyear wranglers. When driving at any speed my tires seem to make a humming noise if I turn the steering wheel to the right slightly the sounds gets worse, if I turn it to the left the sound goes away. What is this tire balance, toe in allignment? Also the tires do not seem to be wearing unevenly. Any help is appreciated

Does it pull? The humming is either the tire/tires or a bad wheel bearing.
Even if the tires LOOK like they are wearing evenly they could have a subtle cupping that would make them hum.
Rotate the tires see what happens.

You can set the toe yourself as mentioned. If it turns out it is way off then you may have discovered the underlying cause of your problem.
If the toe is OK and swapping the tires makes a difference then you probably need an alignment as you may have unusual wear on your tires. (you do rotate them right?) Your lower control arms should be adjustable so the caster can probably be set to the optimum setting of about 5 degrees for a 3 inch lift. Remember if you adjust the caster you are also changing the front pinion angle. If you move it too much you could end up with vibration issues.
My guess is your toe is off (it should be 1/16"-1/8" toe-in) plus you don't rotate your tires like you should causing the tires to wear to the point of humming.
Gravity Rat #149

But what do I know? I don't really even have a Jeep. I just make it up.
pilot-one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
joemomma4040

thanks for the advice I will try the toe and I probably isn't the tires because I do rotate them every oil change
joemomma4040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.