TJs and Air Conditioning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJs and Air Conditioning

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

TJs and Air Conditioning

I was under the impression that all TJ's came from the factory with air conditioning. Friends of mine looked at a 98 TJ this morning and it did not have A/C.

They loved it, it was a nice Jeep and at a very nice price, but they would really like to have A/C.

Anyone know of any after market A/C kits to install and how much do they cost? Is the alternative to put together factory parts to have A/C or would they be better off walking away and finding another Jeep that does have A/C?

Thanks!!

Unread 08-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on the price. If it's cheap enough the you will have some cash to add the AC, otherwise look for one with it. I had one without AC and didn't like it at all. There were just too many days that weather was not suitable for top down driving, but it was too hot.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alabama in the summer = air conditioning. Just to humid. Air conditioning I beleive is an option on the SE and X package.

Unread 08-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Deere9670
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogTJ98 View Post
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deere9670 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd try to find one with it from the factory.

http://www.jeepair.com/ac/4-0-liter-...linder-172.php
Unread 08-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search, there was a recent thread in this forum where someone installed an aftermarket a/c system into their Jeep and it worked great afterwards.

For those who think anyone asking about adding a/c can just take the top off instead, not all of us can wear shorts/jeans and a t-shirt to work or just use the Jeep for fun on the weekend.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
jackel440
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would definatly look for another jeep if they want the a/c.I have done a little a/c work and will probably add it to one of my old 68' Coronets ,but for something like a jeep I would save the hassle.With the economy the way it is jeeps are a dime a dozen you should be able to pick one up with what you want.
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

I live in Atlanta, doesn't get much hotter with this amount of humidity then here. I've not turned on the AC except to check it when I bought it. Took the hard top off as soon as I got home, AC's worthless about 10mph.

AC isn't even standard on the JK's moreless the TJ's.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
...For those who think anyone asking about adding a/c can just take the top off instead, not all of us can wear shorts/jeans and a t-shirt to work or just use the Jeep for fun on the weekend.
There's nothing like sitting next to the sweaty guy at work.

Imagine having the sun blast down on you with the top down on a 95*F day with 99% humity. When I first started shopping for Jeep I didn't care about it having A/C. I had the Mustang for that and the Jeep was to be a 'toy car.' I test drove a Jeep on the hottest day of the 2005 summer. I said to myself "no way, it has to have air!" Good thing I got air because it turns out that the 'toy 2nd car' is now the daily driver.
Unread 08-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
rmellish
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Eh, TJ - Top - Doors + Safari or Bikini top = limited need for AC.
rmellish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
97tjtom
1999 TJ Wrangler 

wranglers dont need ac. get a cherokee if you want ac
Unread 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I love how the guys from the north east and north west say no AC automatically. Move to the deep south, Mississippi delta in my case, and try the no AC thing. Not fun.
fire239 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, they don't realize that it's not bearable from April to October until the sun goes all the way down!
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa4LqRn0&feature=youtu.be[/url]

[B]'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L[/B]
Light modifications[/SIZE]

[I][B]Read more, Post less, Search often[/B][/I]
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

south with no a/c in the summer is like you guys from the north having no heat in the winters...its possible but why go through it when its an available option

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.