TJ2 - Patrick's "new" TJ build thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 Old 05-05-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

TJ2 - Patrick's "new" TJ build thread

When I came across the 97 I was excited. I actually started out just asking the owner how he had setup the front suspension on our local forum. Then I realized it had a lot of things on it I wanted on mine. On a whim I posted up the 04 and I had a buyer within 2 hours of the post on craigslist.. The buyer said he had been looking for exactly what I was selling and checking craigslist daily.

Once I knew he was a serious buyer, I went and checked out the 97.
It was already on 37s (more than I want/need)
Waggy D44 up front
Swapped in rear 44 from a 98 TJ
Cage
Warn 8274
And a bonus I had never planned on: Atlas 3.8:1
Lots of other modifications to it. Some I like, some I don't but I could live with the dislikes ... or change them.

Now, I know a lot of people are going to go into the whole jeeps are built not bought thing ... but honestly, I'll sink as much time, effort, love & money into this as I would have with the 04. Maybe more actually since I won't feel bad beating on it a little. The big difference being that I'm thousands ahead $wise. In the end, I bet you won't even recognize it as the same jeep anyway.

Now for a few pictures and my thoughts on the Jeep as it sat the day I picked it up.

14.5" wide Toyos on 15x12s with 1.25" spacers.
I felt like it was right out of Mad Max. That is the first thing I want to change. I really want to jump back down to 35s on it and should be able to come out ahead on that swap with some money. Yes, I said I want a smaller tire.

It has RE long arms but the springs are waaay to tall for me. I had to drop the top to get in the garage which is not cool. I'm planning on some RE 3.5" springs for the 35s. Hoping for an even swap with someone for the springs. I'll 4 link stretch the rear with a Gen-Right tank and 3 link the front later on.

On the drivetrain side, it has Detroits and 4.10s.
I'm thinking 4.88s and ARBs but I can certainly recoup some costs there by selling the detroits and 4.10s. I may even do another Mas Grande 35 spline kit and sell the Moser alloy shafts as well. It already has alloys up front as well but I'll probably need to replace the u-joints.

The Tranny is the 3 speed Auto and that is coming out next week. Plopping in an AW4. Should be able to sell the 32RH.

I'm also looking to swap back to OEM front fenders. I know it seems crazy to pull off the tube fenders but I like the sleeper style rig.

I also am not a big fan of stickers. A club decal or something I'm cool with but I definitely want to pull those off.

I'm thinking about a black top as well so the Dark Tan top will head to the classifieds along with the spice window tops.

The interior is super dirty and need to be cleaned big time. There is also a lot of wiring lying around that needs to be traced and sealed up. Hopefully nothing major there. Luckily rust isn't really an issue but there are some things I do need to prep and paint. I need a new windshield & frame as well. I also need to do a lot of general maintenance but I'm still stoked with my purchase.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with the latest. Hopefully this will turn out to be a really nice little rig that I can enjoy for a long time.

... an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 05-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 AM
cmoore

2001 TJ Wrangler 

looks like a nice find. congrats.

98 XJ:4.0, AW4, HP30/8.25 4.56 Spartan/LSD, alloy shafts & joints, HD steer, SYE/CV, skids, RADesigns gated shifter, RE mix n match lift, 35"mt/rs, THOR guards F&R, weld-in custom rockers & stiffeners, custom front bumper, orfab rear bumper, THOR cowl induction, on board air, on board welder, etc
post #3 of 88 Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed.

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JFI Member #7:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas

post #4 of 88 Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great idea on selling the Rubi and starting with the 97. Looking forward to this.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #5 of 88 Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Not much progress so far other than posting up a swap for fenders, springs & the tranny for sale. Feel free to search my posts if you are interested in any of that.

I did get a chance to remove the decals though. I know it seems like nothing but dayum there was a lot of goo behind some of them. Untold number of paper towels and tons of goo gone used. Here is a photo of the decals gone but some goo remaining:

I also got a chance to do a lot of inspecting and found a few issues.
The scariest issue by far is the old air filter.
Not only was it dirty but it looked like it had been crushed and rubbed against something to the point of wearing holes in it.

Hopefully the engine hasn't ingested too much crap.

Other issues were a few piggy backs to the fuse box (which I don't like)

Broken alarm siren (taking it out anyway)

The soft top/bikini fit overly tight on the door surrounds because they are about 1/4" to high. It looks like the cage may be a hair tall...

Some crappy welds on the floor plate of the cage

A snapped off sway bar DQ mount

The CD player also skips and I think I may have a blown speaker in the front too.

Other than that, it should be good to go.

I did get a chance to clean the interior out and I knocked off the rear view mirror. Nice...
I also removed several rock lights and brackets for old rock lights. I think I'm also going to remove the lights on the windshield and replace them with something not so sucky.

Oh and I do have a question for yall....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/a...these-1025549/

... an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 05-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.
post #6 of 88 Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck.

Stretched TJ , Coil overs, 42" IROKS, 60/14 bolt...
'95 YJ fuel injected 302, 8.8, cage, ARBs.
'04 QC LB Cummins 4x4

For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

post #7 of 88 Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

I got the 37" Toyos sold.

Since they were on 12" rims and I couldn't use them I let the guy take the wheels too. Honestly, I didn't want to have to break them down myself and deal with selling them and he did give me more $ for the wheels so it worked out. He actually gave me cash and some great condition KM2s but no wheels. He had 6 lug anyway so it would have gotten me nowhere.

I mistakenly assumed some steel wheels would be easy to find locally but I started looking around and could not find any at a good price AND in stock. Craigslist didn't have any 5 on 5.5 wheels at all, so I was in a bind. My jeep was on jack stands and I had no vehicle.

Then I remembered the guy I got the Jeep from also had some 37" MTRs on alloy wheels. I would have gotten them with the Jeep but my plans are for 35s. But since I was in a pinch I decided to get them as a temporary solution. He was nice enough to drive them over to me (hour trip) for a little gas money.

So, here they are mounted up.

I'm almost considering keeping them since they are 12.5s...
I may have to do some flex tests and see how well these stuff.

I guess my big concern would still be that I'm on 37s with D44s. I'd lower it either way but my intention is to build more of a sleeper and that's tough on 37s.

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 05-06-2010 at 02:55 PM.
post #8 of 88 Old 05-06-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

The lug nuts I had on the steel wheels were mismatched, partly because of the spacers. Different size hexes and some were extended thread (which I hate). Others were regular acorn but required a 13/16 socket. My sockets would not fit in the holes very well and my 4 way would not at all. I had to use a regular thin wall socket which I don't like.

I first tried AutoZone and O'reilly but they only had the same acorn lugs I already had. Better than the stupid ET thread ones so I grabbed a set. Once I got home I compared them to some spares I had from past projects and remembered that the ones for the steel wheels would not have as much seat room for the 60* taper.

After searching on the web I found some Gorilla lug nuts that are the "acorn bulge" with a 3/4 hex. That meant my 4 way and big impact sockets would fit in there and they are meant for AL wheels and the 60* taper. I started looking at Summit then decided to call Gorilla and they directed me to Discount Tire.

So, I had to drive over to Discount Tire in Austin to find some lugnuts. Gotta love living out in the burbs.

Now, the fit is tight but at least I have full contact with the wheel & lugs. Makes me feel a lot better.

Cleaned up the wheels a bit too....

post #9 of 88 Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Last week I dropped the Jeep off at my local 4x4 shop. I had a week of vacation planned (British Columbia) and I asked them to swap in an AW4. They did the same thing in my YJ and I was pleased with it.
There were a few unforeseen bumps in the install (atlas was a tight fit, driveshafts, the flexplate wasn't delivered on time) so they still have it.

Anyway,
I got the Warn 8274 sold on craigslist which gives me a little more cash in my pocket to play with.

I ordered a scan gauge II to clear the codes I know I'm going to get with the tranny swap. Once I get my hands on an ECU from a manual I'm going to have it reprogrammed with my VIN. Found a place to do it for about $170 for 2 of them (I want a spare).

I'm also milling over my options for wheels.
I'd like some beadlocks but I'm not sure I'll enjoy the maintenance. Part of me is now thinking about Stauns because nothing can come loose and they can be balanced normally...but then I'd need some alloys with strong outer edges($$$) and how would I know if one of the stauns went flat? So I'm not sure what the best option is. Either way, it is gonna be expensive but I think i may be leaning towards the new Trail Ready HD alloys.

Once I do get the Jeep back home, I have a new steering wheel and steering column trim pieces for it. The parts in there are torn up and faded. I also have a new hood prop for it since mine is missing.

I'm also going to remove the alarm and install a fuel pump cut off switch.

Lots to do on this one ...

post #10 of 88 Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Deacon
Shining Adonis

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of interesting stuff going on with this build. I look forward to seeing where it'll end up.

I'm curious, though, why get rid of the 32RH?
post #11 of 88 Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like fun. Why are you going with the AW4, just for OD?

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
post #12 of 88 Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Sounds like fun. Why are you going with the AW4, just for OD?
First gear is also a hair lower (2.74 vs 2.80) but yes, mostly for the OD.

I would have been at 3089RPM with 4.88s and the 35s on the hwy (65mph) with the 32rh. With the AW4, I can go down to 5.13s and still be around 2415rpm on the hwy.

Since I am building this to be a capable yet street friendly rig ... I felt it was a nice addition and gives me the best of both worlds.

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 05-19-2010 at 11:55 AM.
post #13 of 88 Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Deacon
Shining Adonis

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your RPM's would need to be a little higher than that at highway speed. Maybe around 2750 or so...

I could be wrong
post #14 of 88 Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Stock XJ (p235/75r15) and 3.55s is around 2014 @65
My XJ on 33s with 4.56 was around 2277 @65

IIRC most XJ guys run 4.56 or 4.88 with 35s.
I know the TJ is heavier and has a higher drag but I think 4.88s will be fine.

I'm certainly open to opinions there. I have not ruled out 5.13s but with the 3.8:1 I don't think I "need" 5.13s for wheeling.

@70mph...
4.88s - 2474
5.13s - 2600

post #15 of 88 Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, those are perfect RPM's for 65mph.

OlllllllO

IndyORV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.