TJ Wrangler 2006 Radiator leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Wrangler 2006 Radiator leak

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Blue-Crane

TJ Wrangler 2006 Radiator leak

I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ 2006 (mileage 85000 km). There has recently been an issue with mist emanating from the vents on the dash console. Subsequent to a visit with the mechanics, a diagnostics report revealed that there is a leak in the radiator(I understand that Jeep has two radiators), for the heating/air-conditioning unit in the vehicle. There is also some water deposit on the passenger side under the floor mats. Called up Jeep (Cape Town, South Africa) and they reckon that I would need to import a new radiator from the US. I've been told that it may not be a leak in the radiator itself, but it may just be a simple (and no doubt much more cost effective) issue of replacing a clamp or a pipe/tube. I've also been told, since parts are not always readily available here in SA, that I could have one made up. What would you recommend as my best recourse to action? I am told that the entire dash console needs to be removed either way. Thanks in anticipation.

Blue-Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Crane View Post
I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ 2006 (mileage 85000 km). There has recently been an issue with mist emanating from the vents on the dash console. Subsequent to a visit with the mechanics, a diagnostics report revealed that there is a leak in the radiator(I understand that Jeep has two radiators), for the heating/air-conditioning unit in the vehicle. There is also some water deposit on the passenger side under the floor mats. Called up Jeep (Cape Town, South Africa) and they reckon that I would need to import a new radiator from the US. I've been told that it may not be a leak in the radiator itself, but it may just be a simple (and no doubt much more cost effective) issue of replacing a clamp or a pipe/tube. I've also been told, since parts are not always readily available here in SA, that I could have one made up. What would you recommend as my best recourse to action? I am told that the entire dash console needs to be removed either way. Thanks in anticipation.
What youre describing is the heater core going bad. Search a bit in this section for lots of info on how to replace it.

Your Jeep only has 1 radiator.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
What youre describing is the heater core going bad. Search a bit in this section for lots of info on how to replace it.

Your Jeep only has 1 radiator.
No, it has 2 radiators, one of them is just smaller and lives in the HVAC unit under the dash, but it is a radiator. It has rows of tubes with fins between them mounted in a core with tanks capping the ends and an inlet and outlet that connect to rubber hoses that coolant circulates through to extract heat.

Or to be slightly more accurate, they are both heat exchangers with identical functions but different jobs.
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
No, it has 2 radiators, one of them is just smaller and lives in the HVAC unit under the dash, but it is a radiator. It has rows of tubes with fins between them mounted in a core with tanks capping the ends and an inlet and outlet that connect to rubber hoses that coolant circulates through to extract heat.

Or to be slightly more accurate, they are both heat exchangers with identical functions but different jobs.
More commonly referred to as the heater core. But yeah, if you wanna get all technical...

Point being, for the OP, if you dig around looking for a replacement radiator, you're run across the FRONT radiator. If you search for a replacement heater core, you'll find replacements for the one that is just smaller and lives in the HVAC unit under the dash.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Blue-Crane

I haven't been on this site for a while...still quite new here. Would like to say thanks for the insight and suggestions. I finally had the heater core/radiator bypassed. There is a backlog of orders and this part can only be ordered from the States. I shall perhaps look into getting one second hand from a Jeep which is being broken down for parts. What are your thoughts on this? Good weekend to you!
Blue-Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
gatesjeff33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/he...atercore-1.htm

Here is a photo journal that will show you the scope of the work involved.... It's alot
gatesjeff33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Patrick H

2001 TJ Wrangler 

They really aren't bad to replace. Takes about 2.5-3 hours including charging the A/C..

Tags
leak , radiator , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.