TJ Wrangler 2006 Radiator leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Wrangler 2006 Radiator leak

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Reply
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Blue-Crane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cape Town, N/A
Posts: 2
TJ Wrangler 2006 Radiator leak

I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ 2006 (mileage 85000 km). There has recently been an issue with mist emanating from the vents on the dash console. Subsequent to a visit with the mechanics, a diagnostics report revealed that there is a leak in the radiator(I understand that Jeep has two radiators), for the heating/air-conditioning unit in the vehicle. There is also some water deposit on the passenger side under the floor mats. Called up Jeep (Cape Town, South Africa) and they reckon that I would need to import a new radiator from the US. I've been told that it may not be a leak in the radiator itself, but it may just be a simple (and no doubt much more cost effective) issue of replacing a clamp or a pipe/tube. I've also been told, since parts are not always readily available here in SA, that I could have one made up. What would you recommend as my best recourse to action? I am told that the entire dash console needs to be removed either way. Thanks in anticipation.

Blue-Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Fropleyqk
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Crane View Post
I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ 2006 (mileage 85000 km). There has recently been an issue with mist emanating from the vents on the dash console. Subsequent to a visit with the mechanics, a diagnostics report revealed that there is a leak in the radiator(I understand that Jeep has two radiators), for the heating/air-conditioning unit in the vehicle. There is also some water deposit on the passenger side under the floor mats. Called up Jeep (Cape Town, South Africa) and they reckon that I would need to import a new radiator from the US. I've been told that it may not be a leak in the radiator itself, but it may just be a simple (and no doubt much more cost effective) issue of replacing a clamp or a pipe/tube. I've also been told, since parts are not always readily available here in SA, that I could have one made up. What would you recommend as my best recourse to action? I am told that the entire dash console needs to be removed either way. Thanks in anticipation.
What youre describing is the heater core going bad. Search a bit in this section for lots of info on how to replace it.

Your Jeep only has 1 radiator.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
What youre describing is the heater core going bad. Search a bit in this section for lots of info on how to replace it.

Your Jeep only has 1 radiator.
No, it has 2 radiators, one of them is just smaller and lives in the HVAC unit under the dash, but it is a radiator. It has rows of tubes with fins between them mounted in a core with tanks capping the ends and an inlet and outlet that connect to rubber hoses that coolant circulates through to extract heat.

Or to be slightly more accurate, they are both heat exchangers with identical functions but different jobs.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Fropleyqk
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
No, it has 2 radiators, one of them is just smaller and lives in the HVAC unit under the dash, but it is a radiator. It has rows of tubes with fins between them mounted in a core with tanks capping the ends and an inlet and outlet that connect to rubber hoses that coolant circulates through to extract heat.

Or to be slightly more accurate, they are both heat exchangers with identical functions but different jobs.
More commonly referred to as the heater core. But yeah, if you wanna get all technical...


Point being, for the OP, if you dig around looking for a replacement radiator, you're run across the FRONT radiator. If you search for a replacement heater core, you'll find replacements for the one that is just smaller and lives in the HVAC unit under the dash.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Blue-Crane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cape Town, N/A
Posts: 2
I haven't been on this site for a while...still quite new here. Would like to say thanks for the insight and suggestions. I finally had the heater core/radiator bypassed. There is a backlog of orders and this part can only be ordered from the States. I shall perhaps look into getting one second hand from a Jeep which is being broken down for parts. What are your thoughts on this? Good weekend to you!
Blue-Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
gatesjeff33
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 100
http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/he...atercore-1.htm

Here is a photo journal that will show you the scope of the work involved.... It's alot
gatesjeff33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Patrick H
Member
 
Patrick H's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 494
They really aren't bad to replace. Takes about 2.5-3 hours including charging the A/C..
__________________
01 TJ
Patrick H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak , radiator , tj , wrangler
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.