TJ Windshield Hinge Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Windshield Hinge Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Windshield Hinge Replacement

I have a 2000 Silver TJ. On the passenger side winshield hinge, I have about a Half Dollar size rust spot which is getting worse every week . At first I thought to have them sanded and repainted to match but they wanted $150. New ones from the dealer cost $89 a piece in Black, which I could do because I have a Silver Jeep.

Would I be better off having them sanding and painting the originals? Has anyone used any of the after market hinges that are available from places like quadratec? Are they any good? Which are the best?

Thanks

Hinch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
voigt2000
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have stainless steel Rugged Ridge hinges on my Jeep, but I would not suggest those they are not the best quality and in my opinion not worth the money. But if you are thinking about going for after market hinges spend the money and get Kentrol stainless steel hinges.
voigt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't mind black hinges, sand them yourself and spray paint them black. That way, you don't have to match the color and you're only out about 5 bucks.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
unsung

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought some Kentrol hinges before I knew any better. Not only did the finish chip off very easily (they were black) but they are made in China. That still matters to me.

So my vote would be to either redo yours or buy from the dealership.
unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Stainless hinges that are unpainted look great for a long time. If your rust is coming from the spaces between the two pieces, painting them will not help much, the rust will come back. Rebuilding them might be the answer but that may be more comlicated than it looks and the rust stimm may come back. Cutting and welding-out the joint between the two pieces might ba an option and I have been thinking about doing that to my stock hinges but I am happy with the stainless ones and, in the dark stainless, they look great on my silverstone TJ.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
OttOutlet

TJ windshield hinges - black durable powdercoat

I have a couple of sets available that we will sell for $80/pr, they are new. Hope this helps you.

We have other accessory parts from time to time and not just for Jeeps.

Please email me with your vehicle/year and what you are looking for.O

OttOutlet@yahoo.com
OttOutlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttOutlet View Post
I have a couple of sets available that we will sell for $80/pr, they are new. Hope this helps you.

We have other accessory parts from time to time and not just for Jeeps.

Please email me with your vehicle/year and what you are looking for.O

OttOutlet@yahoo.com
Vendor account?
MATT99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.