TJ Window Frame Size and Skin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Window Frame Size and Skin

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
hypexr

TJ Window Frame Size and Skin

Hello, I just ordered Rampage frameless soft top for my TJ and I found these soft window skins that will go over my existing frames:

Rampage 89735 Diamond Black Door Skins for Soft Upper Door -
Amazon.com: Rampage 89735 Diamond Black Door Skins for Soft Upper Door: Automotive

I cut the old canvas off of the window frames and when I try to put the new skin over the frame I can't get it to fit. The skin is to small for the frame. I read on a forum somewhere that some of the TJs have larger window frames than others. If this is the case I'm not sure what to do.

I have searched trying to buy just the window frames, but haven't found anyone selling that. I could return the window skins and order complete replacement windows, but I wanted to get the rampage ones because then I knew they would match the top in color and both are the black diamond design.

Does anyone know where i can find just the frames for the TJ that are the smaller size or if I can modify my existing frames to make them smaller? I was thinking of trying to knock off this flat metal ridge that runs along the bottom of the frame, but it looked like if I do that the skin would still not fit perfectly and I'm unsure about how it would fit on the jeep.

Any suggestions????? Thanks!

Scott

hypexr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
hypexr

Found the window frames

After a little more searching I found the frames for the door window here:

viking fast back soft top

and here:

Original Replacement Parts 13701.80 - OEM Style Upper Door Frame Pair for Jeep® 87-95 Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

Since the first one is made by rampage / viking I'm going to go with that one since it'll fit.

Scott
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
akjason

Maybe too late to help, but this was a recent post so I'll chime in. I just got those exact upper door skins to replace my OEM skins (from Amazon too). Like you, I thought they were too small at first. But I just kept pulling and tugging and massaging, and eventually it stretched out enough to fit on there. It was a lot tougher than I expected, but it turned out nice and tight. I'd rather spend an hour getting sore hands and have a tight door skin than have a loose skin for years to come. Mine looks much nicer and tighter than the one in the picture on Amazon.

Oh, and the second link to Qtec is for YJ upper door frames, not TJ, in case anyone is looking for TJ frames.
akjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Upper door skins are the hardest things to put on, keep working at it and I bet you'll get them on.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
hypexr

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering those window frames and found out that they were about the same size as the factory ones I already had. Once I knew that I felt better about giving them the pull they needed to fit. I put the back bottom side in first, then the front bottom, and finished it with one of the top corners, using the back of a crescent wrench to pull it around the frame. I returned the window frames to winchline.com and they had great service (put in for UPS to pick it up from my place).

Looks great now and I really like the look and quality of the Rampage top
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
JeepSoldier2010

Heat!!

I had bought new windows and a new soft top at that. It is better to put them on when the weather is alot warmer (70+) If it is colder the skins tend to shrink, hense making it harder to put on.
JeepSoldier2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSoldier2010 View Post
I had bought new windows and a new soft top at that. It is better to put them on when the weather is alot warmer (70+) If it is colder the skins tend to shrink, hense making it harder to put on.
Welcome to 2010.
Keith_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door , skin , soft top , soft top frame , window

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.