TJ What to look for when buying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ What to look for when buying

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
hickory

TJ What to look for when buying

Looking at buying a 2002 TJ to replace t4r. Is the 4 cyl any good. Should I stick with the 4.0. What should I look for when buying. PLus is there an link that may answer these questions. Thanks in advance

hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Kes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the Jeep Forum Hickory.

A few initial thoughts:

I would really suggest getting the I6 and not the 4 cyl. Unless you're focused on gas milage only and have no intention of things like bigger wheels, tires and lift kits, get the 6. The 4 is very underpowered. Kinda feels like you're driving with a parachute behind you.

Take care to inspect things that may need to fix up or replace, namely a soft top. Little problems become big problems in short order.

Take it for a drive and listen to the tranny and test the 4x4. Look at the sellers driveway to see if it's leaking anything.

Is it the sellers daily driver or does he take it wheeling?

Ask the seller what he's done to it during his ownership. Any mods? Swapped anything out?

If you can supply us with some more details, (mileage, asking price, maybe pics) we might be able to offer a little more insight.

Hope things work out well.

Kes
Kes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
chrisjep97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have the 4cyl, its underpowerd but works fine for putting around town, highway travel is a different story. look under the car at the transmission and see if there are little beads of fluid driping. look at the bushings, look for mud and debris on the skid plate.

listen to it start up, pop the hood while its running and make shure everything is mooving properly, check the fluids. smell the engine and tranny oil, does it smell burnt?(it shouldnt).

TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!
and good luck

low output 4cyl jeep club member #150
chrisjep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
racenkiwi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

fyi you will still burn almost the same amount of gas with the 4cyl as the 4.0, since you have to give it more gas. look at the tub for any rust spots, popular spots are the rockers, the windshield frame, and the brackets where the windshield folds down at.
racenkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Kes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenkiwi View Post
fyi you will still burn almost the same amount of gas with the 4cyl as the 4.0, since you have to give it more gas.......
Can't say I agree with that. I'm getting 20-21 outta my 4 cyl and I don't know of many 6's that get over 16.
Kes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got 19-20 out of my 6 cylinder when it was stock, easily. I used to have a 2.5L and though it's one of the toughest motors I've ever owned, I wouldn't recommend it. Just not enough power.

Stick with a 4.0L, unless you can get an AMAZING deal on a 4 popper.
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you are looking to off road the Jeep make sure you get the Dana 44 rear end. If it's just a street Jeep you will be find with the Dana 35. You can tell which axle it has by looking at the carrier housing. If it's round it's a Dana 35. If it does have a soft top take the top down and put it back up to make sure it works. Zip and unzip the windows to esure everything works.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Alfredo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

RUST!
Take up the rugs below dash on both sides. Floor pans will rust out. Look in rear seating area where roll bar meets the tub. I bought a 2.5, it is ok. I had a 2000 TJ with the 4.O, but it was new then...
Also check for an exhaust leak, the manifold. It is a bear to replace
If the tires are not the same, check diff fluid. Rolling resistance can cause premature wear to differentials.
And get a car fax
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
chrisjep97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kes View Post
Can't say I agree with that. I'm getting 20-21 outta my 4 cyl and I don't know of many 6's that get over 16.
wtf? my 4cyl is rockin 14mpg haha

low output 4cyl jeep club member #150
chrisjep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
bctj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you plan on wheeling the jeep I would say what you want the most is a Dana 44 rearend. If its for street and the occasional dirt road the D35 will be fine, But be warned, If you get hooked on wheeling you will regret the purchase of a D35 equipped Jeep. The upgrade can be pricey.
bctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
melicksf
2001 TJ Wrangler 

4.0, manual shift, with a 44 in the rear is the way to go.
melicksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Shoalwater
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ditto the rust post,

pull up the carpet for sure and look at the drivers and passenger floor boards for rust, check out both of them. if they are fine and there is no visable rust when you take a peek under the jeep, you should be fine on the rust front.
Shoalwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

4.0L, auto
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
krawler37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got a 4cyl and a 6yl and both get just about the same mpg.

the dana 44 is over rated in my opinion. I had a rear super 35 and 38.5 boggers and took it up everything hardcore and the only thing i broke was a detroit locker. i have a 35 w/ a lockright and 33's and never had any problem, i do have yukon shafts though. If you are just wheeling it every now and then the 35 is great in my opinion. My friends rubicon's rear 44 already broke and dealer had to replace the whole housing and everything. it was still under warrenty though. just my 2 cents.

but i would go w/ the 4.0 if i could.
krawler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if you look for a 4.o liter also fire it up and see if you hear any ticking when it accelerates. it may have an exhaust leak. check the ball joints. see if everything has been greased.

check the skids to see if it's been abused in the past.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.