TJ, Vs TJ Unlimited '04-'06 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ, Vs TJ Unlimited '04-'06

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #31
1C41N0
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Would you recommend finding a hard top for winter? This is my new DD, and I was born and raised in SD. The only thing I'm wondering/worried is that prairie wind we get out in that area and how the soft top will hold up/heat.

Last edited by 1C41N0; 02-20-2010 at 11:42 PM..
1C41N0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #32
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C41N0 View Post
Would you recommend finding a hard top for winter? This is my new DD, and I was born and raised in SD. The only thing I'm wondering/worried is that prairie wind we get out in that area and how the soft top will hold up/heat.
Absolutely.
Start looking anyway. They don't come up for sale a lot and they are not cheap.
In the meantime a stock soft top in good condition seals well enough to heat up fine in the winter. Plenty of people around here do fine all winter with soft tops. It's a pain if you park outside and have to scrape snow/ice off fabric and plastic windows though.
Unread 02-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #33
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just bought #787 of 1000 05 rubicon unlimented sahara w/4024 miles on it for 22000, I really like this jeep.Ive been looking since 04 you will not regret the unlimented.
787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #34
Ambulldog

I bought my daughter an 06 unlimited Rubicon, hard and soft tops, cruise control and auto dim review mirror. Truck had 8000 original miles 1 owner, chrome grill and trailer hitch for $19,000 jast November. Though I myself am not a jeep fan after owning a 1989 jeep sahara, I must admit this one rides and handles way better then my old one, and with the LJ you can get four people in it and still have room for gear in the back. I still think they are too slow, but I'm gonna Ripp mod it because my daughter loves it. Other then that I have to admit it is
sharp looking with the 4" Zone lift
Ambulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #35
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

no offense, but your going to supercharge a kids vehicle?
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #36
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ambulldog, Is this the LJ on the Zone web site. If so I was leaning strong towards the Zone 4" for my LJ and your comments were what finally persuaded me.

Back on topic, I've had both the soft and the hard tops and I'd have to say I definitely like the hard top in the winter better.
Whobeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #37
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C41N0 View Post
Having lived in Omaha and Lincoln (my condolences to you on your move), and now Denver, I can say that selling my hard top was one of the best things I did. The unlimited hard top is big, heavy, and takes up a lot of storage space. I sold mine for $800 and used it for other parts.

The Jeep warms and cools just the same with the hard top and soft top. The soft top is marginally louder at 80 on the highway between Denver and Omaha. The wind on a lifted jeep at 80 on the highway is just as bad with a hard top and soft top.

If I had a 3 car garage, or enough rafter space that I could use a lift, I might have kept it. And, if JScherb's mystery company develops the Safari top, I'll be one of the first in line as it defeats every complaint I have with the factory Unlimited hard top.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #38
Ambulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
Yes, the truck needs a little more speed to merge into traffic plus she is a responsible kid. The speed at which the people drive on the highways combine with the shorter on ramps will make her more comfortable.
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #39
Ambulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whobeme View Post
Ambulldog, Is this the LJ on the Zone web site. If so I was leaning strong towards the Zone 4" for my LJ and your comments were what finally persuaded me.

Back on topic, I've had both the soft and the hard tops and I'd have to say I definitely like the hard top in the winter better.
The kit has 5000 miles on it and zero issues. Still rides like a dream.
Unread 02-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #40
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
I won't hurt.... at least then it'll be able to run 16sec. quarters, which is still nothing to brag about.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.