TJ VS TJ with long wheel base - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ VS TJ with long wheel base

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
hapbob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ VS TJ with long wheel base

Do I need an unlimited long wheel base jeep? What are the advantages?
Thinking about trading up a few years and wonder if LJ is what I should look for?
Info.. help... comments...opions...lead on 2005-2006
NO off road...Just On road fun and winter driving..... may tow trailer with other fun stuff like cycles, 4 wheelers....I wonder about ride and stability in snow with longer wheel base
THanks
Hap

Last edited by hapbob; 11-01-2011 at 05:10 PM..
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you want/need...
...2" more legroom in the back seat?
...12" of extra 'trunk' space?
...10" of extra wheel base?
...1000# additional tow capacity?

I like my '05 LJ MUCH more than my '99 TJ. The longer wheelbase makes it more stable. The extra room in the back seat is noticeable. The extra 'trunk' space is also very noticeable. It has a 3500# tow rating vs. 2500#.
Plus they look cooler with a small lift and 32" tires.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It depends on what type of wheelin you do.The rear overhang will drag on lots of stuff.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have an unlimited. Had a CJ-7 before this and do not think I will ever go back to the "short" jeep again. Better ride and much more storage space (dont really use the second seat). Before you buy, test drive one and see what you think.
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
jcgribks
2012 JK Wrangler 

I test drove one before I bought my 06 TJ and being longer didn't really notice it that much, but we only drove it a couple of miles too. I'd really like to have the extra room through, with 2 girls in the rear seat you can't even go the the store and get too much.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go with the LJ in these conditions:

If it'll be more of a DD and you have kids, gear, etc.
You tow stuff
You're building for 37"+ tires

For my personal uses, I'll stick with the better breakover and departure angle of the SWB TJ.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The difference between my old YJ and my LJ is night and day. Obviously they are two totally different machines (4 vs. 6 cyl, leaf vs. coils, more creature comforts in the LJ), but as far as room and manageability for a family with 2 small kids (4 & 7) it is hands down better. They can climb in easily, fit great with the front seats all the way back, and there is room for stuff behind the rear seat. I had a XJ in between the YJ and LJ, and I rarely miss the 4 doors and bit of extra space.

The LJ is a great Jeep on the road too. Fun to drive around town, still fits in nicely in 'small car parking', and does great on the highway. I am about to go through my first winter with it, but I am sure it will be as great as any Jeep. The only offroad I did with it so far is pulling a trailer through some 6" deep mud to go get a cord and 1/2 of wood, it did great, but I don't have feedback other than that. I can see where the YJ would have been much better for the wheeling I did in CO, but around here (what little wheeling there is) the length, breakover, and departure would not be as critical.

Speaking of towing, this LJ does as well as, if not better than the XJ towing loads. I have a 5x8 trailer that I load up with wood, mulch or dirt, or camping gear, so far the LJ handles it great. I attribute any noticable improvement over the XJ to the low 1st, and disks in the rear.

Some dislike the 6 speed, but I don't mind mine at all. The AX-5 in my YJ was equally cranky if you did not treat it the way it liked to be .

Though I did not look for any options, this LJ has just about everyone offered, and it is nice to have dual tops, the sunrider, A/C, rear wiper and defog, temp and compass in the auto dim rearview, woofer and sirius built-in, and things like that when you daily drive the jeep.

Mine is still pretty stock right now, except the 2" BB, but I don't plan to go crazy with it. I like the way it rides, drives, and handles, don't want to change that. I am going to put some mild 31's on (still has crappy GSAs), replace the shocks with something alittle heavier duty, and put some air bags in the rear for towing.

Bottom line is I am really happy with my LJ, and personally it is my favorite Jeep made.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll put a nod in for the LJ too... the only thing the TJ has over it is the brakover angle so unless your doing tons of rock crawling and dropping off ledges that shouldn't be a huge issue, if it is you can improve it a little and just make sure the rear bumper is stout enough to take the hits. Lots of TJ guys out there are killing themselves to stretch their wheelbases out because its more stable in climbs, the LJ is already there and has extra room to boot! Either way they are great rigs but I prefer the LJ.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

They also come standard with a D44.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Rubi Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A little more info on your specific needs and intended uses would be valuable. As for me LJ is what I chose.
Unread 11-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
SolarOne
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Do I need an unlimited long wheel base jeep? What are the advantages?
Thinking about trading up a few years and wonder if LJ is what I should look for?
Info.. help... comments...opions...lead on 2005-2006
THanks
Hap
This question comes up allot. My answer is simply cargo capacity. I can drive a passenger around. With both our bikes in the back, all our mtb gear, food, water, clean cloths, and still have room for another bike.
SolarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
Tudog
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Tj lj

What is the length
Tudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #13
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudog View Post
What is the length
Of what?
The wheelbase is +10".
The overall length is +12".
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 06-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
RandyTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Of what?
The wheelbase is +10".
The overall length is +12".
I did not check it out but I thought a LJ was 15" longer........than a TJ.
White 2005 LJ, Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Goodyear 315/75/16 MTR's, Pro Comp 97 16x8 wheels, UCF Tummy Tuck, 1" Prothane BL, 1" JKS MML,Tereflex Disco's, 10,000 lb. winch. CB Radio, Fire Extinguister, Synthetic Fluids, Driving Lights....
1999 XJ 6.5 Lift, Rusty's Long Arm, Four Link Rear Suspension, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, Alloy Axles....
RandyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bumper to bumper is 12" different. 155" vs 167".
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.