TJ Tub Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Tub Replacement

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
1997_Blue_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Tub Replacement

Anybody ever done a tub swap on a TJ? My '97 TJ has a lot of rust underneath the drivers side door (it's rusted all the way through) and on both sides of the tailgate. The rust was all there when I purchased it, and I'm trying to decide between having it all repaired or replacing the tub. Seems like I can get a tub for between $300-$500 and I'm thinking that the time and materials of the full repair would be considerably more if I had it done - I'm not skilled in body work at all. Wondering what kind of time commitment I'd be looking at for a replacement. It doesn't seem that it'd be too difficult with the exception of nuts and bolts being rusted on over the past 14 or so years. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

1997_Blue_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't have to do an electrical sway than a tub swap wouldn't be much more work than a frame swap. It would take some time and thought but it isn't impossible for the average garage mechanic.

It isn't the best choice but you can quickly learn how to use fiberglass to take care of those rust spots. Cut out the bad stuff and reshape the missing pieces with fiberglass.

Either way won't be that easy but both are doable. As long as you do it yourself it won't really matter which option you choose. We will all commend you for your hard work and dedication.

You can also become really good friends with someone who can weld. Cut the bad spots out and have them weld in new sheet metal. Repaint and enjoy.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
2ACR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.