TJ Transmission cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Transmission cooler

Trailing Arms!JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Transmission cooler

Hello, has anyone out there added an aftermarket transmission cooler to their TJ? I have the 4.0L with automatic transmission, and was hoping to find some instructions, or pictures for this modification.

If you have done this modification, are you happy with it? I've noticed that as our weather gets warmer, that my feet are starting to cook. The transmission is making my floorboards very hot. You can really feel the heat rising from the floor.

Digger

JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
jasonX

I just wanted to re-ask the above question. There isnt much info on here for aftermarket transmission coolers for TJ's (and not a write up on www.4x4xplor.com).

The reason I'm asking is because I will be going to 33's this summer, and I tow my waverunner all over the place on the weekends. I destroyed the transmission in my F-150 with stock gears and 35's and dont want the same thing to happen again.

Thanks
Unread 03-17-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Fritz R.

I am running a B&M stacked plate cooler on my TJ. I attached it to the v support in front of the radiator so it would get good airflow. Seems to work great. Kept the tranny nice and cool last summer. The other thing I would recommend is a tranny temp guage so you know what kind of temperatures you are running at.
Fritz R. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.stu-offroad.com/aw4/cooler.htm provides some comments on putting a tranny cooler into a TJ.

Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
old soldier

I am a rock crawler with my 2003 Rubicon (30, 658 miles) and VERY concerned about the transmission oil getting very hot a 600-900 RPM's crawling. I just installed a B&M Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler #70264. I can't tell you the difference yet because I have already been out Jeepin this month (without the cooler) and won't go again for about 2 weeks. The transmission oil still goes thru the radiator but also now has it's on radiator. That's got to b e an improvement. I also haul a heavy cargo trailer with my Swampers and camping gear and that puts a burden on the auto tranny.

The #70264 is a complete kit. It went with B&M because of their reputation for quality products.
Unread 03-19-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know much about transmissions...any sense in running these on a manual tranny? I would assume it gets pretty hot too.

lj
Unread 03-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

How about Rusty's tranny cooler? That any good?
Unread 03-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper
I don't know much about transmissions...any sense in running these on a manual tranny? I would assume it gets pretty hot too.
One could make a general statement that for the most part says antyhing could benefit from having the heat removed....diffs, tranny, t-case, etc.

That being said, the auto tranny generates more heat than does a manual tranny because of the torque converter and the manner in which the transmission functions. There also is no pump in the manual tranny by which to circulate the fluid so even if you wanted to put a cooler on it, it would not be very easy.

There is one other thing that you could add a cooler to and that is your power steering system. It DOES get hot, hot enough to boil the PS fluid in some cases. Keeping it cooler will prolong the life of your pump and your steering box. It is a $30 project and well worth the money and 2 hours of time it takes to do it. Details on how to do it are on my web site.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
StealthTJ

As Stu mentioned, a lot of people seem to neglect their power steering unit.
I've added an after market power steering cooling, and a tranny cooler in front of the radiator (I don't use the radiator to cool the tranny), and I've added a tranny cooler up under the bed of the Jeep, behind the rear axle, drivers side. This is a B&M cooler with a built in, thermostatically controlled fan.
The combo. of the two tranny coolers has worked very, very well for me for the past several years, out here in about as hot of conditions as one is going to find.
Virtually all of the off-road driving that I do is pretty heavy rock crawling.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
98TJSport
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i would also like to install a tranny cooler, for people that go in the mud installing it under the jeep would be pointless (i know ur a rockcrawler). with that said, would infront of the radiator be the best place to mount it?
Unread 03-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks Stu, full of good info, as always
Unread 03-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
WRFD17

What kind of price range and install time/difficulty is this project ??

N R A JEEP Club # 1
Blue Jeep Club Member #57
Firefighting Jeep Club #4
M.W.J.T.
WRFD17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #13
jeepramnauth
2010 JK Wrangler 

can u liquid cool a TJ, like porsches?
jeepramnauth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #14
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepramnauth
can u liquid cool a TJ, like porsches?
TJ's are liquid cooled....
What do you think that green fluid circulating though the engine block is

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #15
jeepramnauth
2010 JK Wrangler 

oh....hehe, i feel stupid!
jeepramnauth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.