TJ transfer case swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ transfer case swap

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
jaimelynn1969
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ transfer case swap

Hey all,

New TJ owner and have a question. Does the NP 231 for a 99 have any other T cases that will bolt right on? I read the dana 300 works. My husband is getting my truck on Monday so I want to buy the upgrade before he goes and rebuilds my stock transfer case.

And thanks for the help!!

jaimelynn1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimelynn1969 View Post
Hey all,

New TJ owner and have a question. Does the NP 231 for a 99 have any other T cases that will bolt right on? I read the dana 300 works. My husband is getting my truck on Monday so I want to buy the upgrade before he goes and rebuilds my stock transfer case.

And thanks for the help!!
Why would you need/want to change it???
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
jaimelynn1969
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It has a solid like clunk in any gear and when he drained the fluid there are speckles as he describes them. So he was going to rebuild it. But if I can get something bigger and better I would like to do it now then later.
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Atlas II is a good upgrade.
Atlas 2 speed cases | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It has a solid like clunk in any gear and when he drained the fluid there are speckles as he describes them. So he was going to rebuild it. But if I can get something bigger and better I would like to do it now then later.
Good idea... why not... Go for it
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
jaimelynn1969
1999 TJ Wrangler 

He's going to hate me...
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He's going to hate me...
As he should. There's simply no reason to do anything other than find a good used 231 for less than 500 bucks and swap it in and the 500 mark is very very generous. I see them quite often for 2-250.

Save your money and buy a SYE and quality DC driveshaft for the lift and bigger tires we all know is coming.
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
. But if I can get something bigger and better I would like to do it now then later.
Silly females, always wanting something bigger and better.
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
jaimelynn1969
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So no real advantage other then it is new. Got it. He told me there is a chain in there. I think he said something like a gear is missing a tooth.
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So no real advantage other then it is new. Got it. He told me there is a chain in there. I think he said something like a gear is missing a tooth.
Of course there are advantages to some case swaps. What areas do you find your rig currently lacking in when you take it wheeling?

Upgrade for reasons that make the money spent a decent value. If it's just the t-case, a simple swap of a good cheap case from another rig is easy, fast, and very effective.

Don't forget on the internet, folks without two pennies to rub together derive great delight in spending other's money for them.
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
jaimelynn1969
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well after a lot of tinkering and tear down my TJ is rolling again. In the past week we tore down the rear end to find it was not set up correctly. ABSOLUTELY NO SHIMMING! caused the ring gear to fail. Then he checked the front and found the pinion unshimmed. After it was rolling again the driveline in the front had a bad centering joint. So all the ujoints got replaced. Then after checking the T-case found it was a failing bearing. So the clunk was in the rear end along with a bunch of other stuff. He has replaced everything and installed a Detriot locker in the rear and an Aussie locker in the front. I don't know but it sounds cool. Also put in an overhead console and a new stereo system. I think he will be doing body work next. Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tags
transfer case , swap , np231 , dana 300

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.