TJ Trailer Wiring Harness - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
J33P-TJ

TJ Trailer Wiring Harness

Have any of you ever added a trailer wiring harness to your TJ? I talked to my dealer about getting a 4-pin flat connector installed yesterday. The price for the part is $39 and their book says it should take 4/10 of an hour to install...the dealer claims it's more like 1 1/2 hours, which comes out to be $117 in labor alone. Is this something I could do on my own? I don't know if I should believe them or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 01:19 PM
jasonX

Most people have been able to do this very easily on their own. All you do is locate the factory wiring harness (remove plastic cover behind passenger rear tire) and plug in the adpater.

However, I was unable to do it because the passenger side light harness on my Jeep is wedged next to the gas tank pressure pump, and I can't even get two fingers on it or move it. The dealer wanted $120 to install the wiring harness on mine. I didn't do it at the time because I thought it was outrageous, but no one else has been able to access the harness.

I read a similar post the other day that on newer models (i.e. '04 & '05), the adapter is plugged in on the driver's side, which would be a lot easier for me; I just dont know if it applies to '03's. I am going to try as soon as I get home tonight.

Sold the Jeep for a '70 Nova SS, but I still like hanging around this site!

Last edited by jasonX; 02-18-2005 at 01:29 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 01:33 PM
cantthinkofname

I know alot of folks don't like cutting into factory wires but for about $5-$10 you can pick up a universal 4 pin setup at WalMart.

Pull your tail lights off and splice directing into the existing wiring there. I have done this with every truck/van and now jeep I have owned and never had a single issue.

Here is a link that shows you what wires to connect. The color codes are about 2/3 of that way down.

http://www4.mtco.com/bry/Towing/jeep_towing.html
post #4 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Dragonmaster

the harness I picked up hooked into the passenger and driver side connectors, cost was $40, install took about 1.25 hours (hitch install took less time at 20 minutes). It was a pain, but I wouldn't pay someone to do it ever.

2002 Jeep TJ SE 2.5L
Sienna Pearl, dual tops, tan interior, 31x10.5's,
1" Rubi Spring lift (yes it does boost an SE 1", ask me how I know)
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
post #5 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 02:04 PM
jpittman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

jasonx,

Try this to get that harness out. Get a wire coat hanger, cut it so you have a straight piece lone enough to reach the harness. Put a hook on both ends. One hook to grab the harness and the other hook so you can pull on it. I have done alot of wiring using a coat hanger as a "fish" wire.

I've even been able to pull wire from the engine compartment up and thru the double panel by the fender flares and into the tub without drilling holes in the firewall. All wires are covered with split wrap, have 4 wires going in on both the driver's and passenger's side using this method. When it's all done I seal it with foam just like the factory did.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 02:29 PM
James C.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used the Hoppy harness you can get from any major parts house. Autozone couldn't get it in time, O'reilly had to order and wanted $60 ended up picking it up at Advance for $14 and some change.

Very easy install anyone with pliers and a drill (1/8") bit. Look here for the write-up. http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Buildu...ng_harness.htm
That's the mopar kit but it's the same except for the new plastic fender liner retainer which I was able to reuse.

2003 TJ
post #7 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't like to deal with any wiring but my jaw hit the floor when the dealer told me they wanted 100 bucks!

Went to local Jeep dealer paid 30 bucks. Brought home harness and read directions. They're pretty good directions by the way. Pulled back the plastic panel at the passenger side wheel well. Reached up under the rear corner of the passenger side of the Jeep and pulled down wire harness which was wrapped in black tape and labeled. Plugged in harness that I bought. Ran other end of harness down behind the hitch and mounted it on the bracket supplied with the purchased harness.

Took less than 15 mins. Works great!

Mine's an '04 and the harness was on the passenger side.

If you have some of the earlier TJ's it gets more fun where you have to plug in the harness in two locations. One on each side of the Jeep.

Don't pay a stealership.

Khaki 2004 Wrangler X
OME HD Kit,JKS BMML,1.25 JKS BL, adj. control arms
RE Generation II Quick Discos
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
post #8 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 05:20 PM
treehugger

I also useed the kit that goes inlinewith the plug on the factory harness. No cutting required. $20. I have an 03 and it was a pain in the butt to get to the wires once I pulled the plastic cover down on the passenger side. Save the $120 and try to do it yourself. See if you can get to the plug first. If you can locate it then go pick up the wiring kit at Autozone or Advance Auto. If you can't get to it and your sick of trying, then let the dealership rob you. Try first you won't regret it.

Nothing left to do but smile mile smile....
2004 Rubi, Bright silver metalic., 2.5 OME HD, JKS adj track bars, JKS quick disco's, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS BMML, Rockhard 4x4 front & rear bumpers, Cobra 75 CB
post #9 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Hippie

I just installed a T-One Wiring Harness on a 2003 X it connects on both sides. Go to etrailer.com they're Great to do business with! They answered all my questions and the service and pricing are good, plus shipping is fast!
post #10 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
WenieD

For my 05 model i ordered the harness at napa. It was 21 dollars. Plugs right in on the DRIVER's side. Not on the passenger side like the instructions say. Works great!!
post #11 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 08:11 PM
jasonX

okay guys, check out the below picture.....

[edit] sorry, direct link wouldnt work. please click on picture in my signature and scroll to the bottom of the page...

The wiring harness is stuck between the pressure pump and where the two body panels are crimped together. It will not pull out or down any further; therefore, it is literally and physically impossible for me to disconnect it and install the wiring harness adapter. Has everyone else's harness been on the other side of where the body panels meet?

I have an appointment in the morning to pay the dealership $120 to figure this out, so any suggestions you all can give me tonight will be greatly appreciated.

Sold the Jeep for a '70 Nova SS, but I still like hanging around this site!
post #12 of 24 Old 02-18-2005, 08:23 PM
WenieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonX
okay guys, check out the below picture.....

[edit] sorry, direct link wouldnt work. please click on picture in my signature and scroll to the bottom of the page...

The wiring harness is stuck between the pressure pump and where the two body panels are crimped together. It will not pull out or down any further; therefore, it is literally and physically impossible for me to disconnect it and install the wiring harness adapter. Has everyone else's harness been on the other side of where the body panels meet?

I have an appointment in the morning to pay the dealership $120 to figure this out, so any suggestions you all can give me tonight will be greatly appreciated.

yeah man...I hooked mine up backwards before i realized the 05's are on the driver side...it was a pain in the but to get it out...i finally got mad at it and just pulled the wires hard...came right down and the connecter was there for me to hook it up.....to bad i had to take it off and put it on the other side....lol
post #13 of 24 Old 02-19-2005, 08:55 AM
GD4GVN

The passenger side rear wheel well splash shield connects at the very rear of the Jeep. There is a plastic push pin there that holds the cover on. Remove this pin and that part of the cover folds down exposing the wiring harness connector that you need to get to. There is plenty of room for you to lokk at the connector as well as put your hand up in there and take it apart. The Mopar kit comes with a new plastic push pin to reinstall your shield back after you are done as well as all mounting hardware needed. I put the hitch and wiring on my Jeep the other night and it took me about 45 minutes. I work at a Jeep parts department and sell this stuff so I have a half way decent idea about it.Not hard to do at all exspecially if you drop that splashshiel rear piece, like I said 1 plastic push pin and its down.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-19-2005, 09:26 AM
limecolbyjack

$8.50 here at uhaul for the 4 way flat plug ( part #13488)with our style that piggy backs it. $16.00 labor to install it. o and you may only rent a uhaul in a TJ if you have a hard top. -chris
post #15 of 24 Old 02-19-2005, 11:02 AM
treehugger

JasonX
That is exactly like what I experienced on my 03. It is a pain to get the plug past that piont. Just keep wiggling it, it will come out of there with plenty of wire to work with.

Nothing left to do but smile mile smile....
2004 Rubi, Bright silver metalic., 2.5 OME HD, JKS adj track bars, JKS quick disco's, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS BMML, Rockhard 4x4 front & rear bumpers, Cobra 75 CB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.