TJ Tinted Upper Doors - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Tinted Upper Doors

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamellison
Any pics?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BWXOAC/ref=aw_d_iv_automotive?is=l
Sent from Justin's Evo

Unread 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamellison View Post
I'm not too concerned with the legality of it (that sounds terrible, but the law enforcement is pretty lax about it)
thats totally your choice. personally i have no issue with anyones tinted windows.
legality is why they are not common. many people would buy them im sure.
they "ususally" dont like selling stuff that is illegal.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
williamellison
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No offense, but it looks a little sketch.. Does anyone have pictures of it on a Jeep?
Unread 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
cmmartin86
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hello guys im in the middle of making my uppers tinted.. I have just got done cutting out the stock clear crap... just got done ordering some strataglass dark smoke off the internet.. hopefully it all works out... ill let you guys know....
cmmartin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #20
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmartin86
Hello guys im in the middle of making my uppers tinted.. I have just got done cutting out the stock clear crap... just got done ordering some strataglass dark smoke off the internet.. hopefully it all works out... ill let you guys know....
Let me know if it works, link to the strataglass?
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #21
cmmartin86
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought it from Outdoortextiles.com. I got it in dark smoke and 40mils thick. I believe most aftermarkets are 30mill, so hopefully it will be a bit more resilient. It cost right around $200 but that should be more than enough to do both of my jeeps(2008 4 dr, 2001 Tj). I already have the clear plastic out of the two door uppers and the rear window so. It looks fairly straight forward as far as reconstruction.
cmmartin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #22
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to sew it in?
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #23
cmmartin86
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes (don't take this the wrong way) but I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it. If you are not so inclined to dabble in the sewing arts. I'm sure anyone could take them to an awing, upholstery,marine cover, sail, shoe maker, etc; and they could probably do a very good job and be made out of the exact same material that the manufactures use but are to afraid to make tinted uppers. Probably because of legal reasons, which is ridiculousness.
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #24
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
Are you going to sew it in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmartin86 View Post
Yes (don't take this the wrong way) but I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it. If you are not so inclined to dabble in the sewing arts. I'm sure anyone could take them to an awing, upholstery,marine cover, sail, shoe maker, etc; and they could probably do a very good job and be made out of the exact same material that the manufactures use but are to afraid to make tinted uppers. Probably because of legal reasons, which is ridiculousness.
I took a look at the specs of the strataglass and the end use is actually described as "boat/automobile windows." Any place that makes or fixes boat tops should be able to do this for cheap. I am thinking that it might be a better alternative for me to buy a roll and have new windows sewn into the back part of my soft top. I am going to look into it when I get back home. That should give me enough to do soft uppers when I find someone to trade doors with. I would sew them in myself, but I fear that my machine is not up to the job being the thickness of the materials being used.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #25
cmmartin86
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bad news fellas, got the "dark smoke" Strataglass in last night....and......it is about 2% darker than clear. I'm not giving up I think I found some on another website and I got the guy to send me a sample to see what the tint really is.. I'll let you guy's know..
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #26
cmmartin86
2008 JK Wrangler 

Alright, here is what I found( http://www.aro2000.com/clear_vinyl_sheets.htm ) AS-6 DOT AUTOMOTIVE VINYL SHEETS. This guy said this is the exact same stuff that jeep uses on there tinted windows, and it is much cheaper than that last stuff. So ill have this stuff in by next weekend and let you guys know how it goes again........
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #27
TonkaTj04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So did it ever work out?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Yellow Jeep Club Member #18
ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
TonkaTj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
Finman99
2009 JK Wrangler 

Don't know for sure, but they are probably only done in an after market shop because they are illegal in most states, including here in RI. We do have tint shops that would probably do them though.
Finman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #29
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

bump from the dead.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
Delta9
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe go to a paint & body shop and see if they can spray a clear coat with black mixed in onto your windows. That's what everyone around here does to 'tint' their taillights, signals etc. I just don't know if the paint will be flexible enough.
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soft top , tinted window , upper door skin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.