TJ Stuttering.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Stuttering..

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Stuttering..

Well recently my 97 TJ, 4cyl started stuttering randomly..

I start the jeep up and start driving and its just fine, but then all of a sudden my foot will be on the gas pedal (constant pressure) and the jeep starts to bog down and the speed starts to drop then picks up and drops again all this while my foot is still on the gas pedal with equal pressure.

I have no idea why its doing that, it just happens randomly. Any suggestions?

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would say your upstream 02 sensor?It would be a good idea to use some throttle body cleaner and clean out the throttle body.When was the last tuneup and what was done?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Last tune up was 2 years ago, spark plugs, rotor, switch, wires.

Regular oil+filter change.

Hmm i really dont want to use that cleaner stuff i read on 4x4xlpor.com that it seems to mess up at times and not being able to start the jeep.

Any way to tell its the 02 upstream sensor for sure?
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

agree with all those comments, mine does the same thing, but when i first get it started in the morning. the fuel pump is getting ready to go in mine. so watch out for that too
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

fuel pump.. sweet..

How big of a job is this? And are they pricey?
My Progress Page
Unread 07-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in agreement with golenjeeptj over the O2 sensor. Further reading...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/97-tj-sputter-stall-o2-sensor-612880/

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
I'm in agreement with golenjeeptj over the O2 sensor. Further reading...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612880
Thanks, looks exactly like what im having problems with. Im gonna try and unplug the upstream sensor tonight and run the jeep without it and see what happens.

Hopefully thats the case and not my fuel pump.
My Progress Page
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
kehoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When my TPS sensor went bad, my jeep had similar symptoms as to what you are describing. Replaced it with one from Advanced Auto for ~$50 (I think, its been a while) and it worked fine ever since
kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well i unplugged my upstream sensor today and drove around with the jeep did some light offroading also and no issues so far. Im gonna keep it unplugged for a few days to see if it happens if not guess ill be buying a new one.

Is it true that i should get the 02 sensor straight from the dealer or is it o.k to with NAPA, because i heard that if the voltages dont match accordingly it wont register correctly with the ECU. Anyone know about this?
My Progress Page
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

this happened to me it was my O2
Black Jeep Society Member #398

*Jeep Wave*
TJftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

my started sputtering too, but when i get to high speeds it goes away.

so if I have the same problem what is the cheapest thing to check/replace first?

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #12
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

esad_b - I bought the two replacement sensors I've had in the past from aftermarket suppliers in both cases. No problems with either sensor regarding running or MPG. One was only replaced because the thread got damaged removing it when I had to swap out a shattered cat.

mightydog78 - Cheapest thing to check is the O2 sensor. It's easy to unplug and free. If it runs OK with the )2 sensor disconnected you either have a bad sensor or huge crack in the exhaust manifold.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #13
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine also had this symptom when my CPS was dirty. I would drive down the rode and it was like the jeep totally shut down. I tried everything said here but came down to a dirty magnet and the two bolt mounts needed cleaned to get a better connection. So far not a dollar more spent on it except gas and oil. But what lead me to it was ground wires. I have cleaned all mine and relocated some. Good luck
Unread 07-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
esad_b - I bought the two replacement sensors I've had in the past from aftermarket suppliers in both cases. No problems with either sensor regarding running or MPG. One was only replaced because the thread got damaged removing it when I had to swap out a shattered cat.

mightydog78 - Cheapest thing to check is the O2 sensor. It's easy to unplug and free. If it runs OK with the )2 sensor disconnected you either have a bad sensor or huge crack in the exhaust manifold.
i actually do have a cracked exhaust manifold im hopefully getting fixed soon. so i bet thats my problem.
thanks for the help

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well i have 100% concluded it is my upstream sensor. Usually if the jeep sits for long period of time in the parking lot and then i go to start it and start driving the jeep starts to jerk/stutter. Today for the first time that hasnt happened (02 Sensor still unplugged).

So i guess ill be picking up a new one. Is it safe to drive around with the 02 sensor unplugged?
My Progress Page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.