TJ Stuck in 4wd--HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Stuck in 4wd--HELP!

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
deerkilla4500
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Stuck in 4wd--HELP!

Alright. My 98 TJ has been having issues with the T-case for about a month now... It started when I noticed that the front driveshaft was incredibly loose when driving in 2wd so it made a really obnoxious rattling noise while I was driving

So.. I tried shifting into 4wd to see if it would stop when I gave power to that driveshaft and it made a horribly loud grinding noise when I released the clutch. So I didn't try 4wd for a while and put up with the rattling because I was at school and didn't have the tools with me to remove the front shaft..

Then, a few weeks ago I was trying to show the problem to my fellow jeeper but the Jeep actually went into 4wd and didn't make the noise (note: I only drove it about 10 feet in 4wd before shifting back into 2)

But now, the front shaft has been making even more noise when I drive, so I was out driving and got home and decided to try 4wd one more time. Put it in and drove about 30 feet forward and back in my driveway and it made a strange whining noise.. And now it won't go out of 4wd. I can shift into 4lo and 4hi no problem, but I can't shift into 2. The handle just won't budge forward at all...

Anyone know what this might be????

deerkilla4500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Adjust the shifter linkage...

I had that problem one time, I wheeled all day and camped and had the jeep in 4lo the whole time, then when i went to put it back in 2wd it wouldn't go... I just had to adjust the linkage a little
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4wd , stuck , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.