tj stretch q's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj stretch q's

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
slowsi
1998 TJ Wrangler 

tj stretch q's

Looking to stretch the rear of my tj. Right now I have 4.5 re long arm kit. When looking at other builds it seams like everyone either moves everything back on the stock frame, or they cut the frame right before the rear wheel well and make it straight. Has anyone ever cut right before the frame starts to angle up and added in 4-5 inches of frame? That would allow me to keep all the same mounts and just move back the re arms. Any input?

slowsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If I read that right...are you talking about making more angle in the shocks to move the axle back and lengthening your control arms

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
wrangler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
slowsi
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, seeing if anyone has added 4-5 inches of metel and welded it in right in front of the wheel wells. instead of cutting the back half of the frame off like this go about half way down the page
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274444
then i wouldnt have to move my coil buckets, trackbar,etc all i waould have to move would be tank and shocks, kinda understand what i want to do?
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
atxzj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsi View Post
Looking to stretch the rear of my tj. Right now I have 4.5 re long arm kit. When looking at other builds it seams like everyone either moves everything back on the stock frame, or they cut the frame right before the rear wheel well and make it straight. Has anyone ever cut right before the frame starts to angle up and added in 4-5 inches of frame? That would allow me to keep all the same mounts and just move back the re arms. Any input?
Sure, quite a few have done it. It ends up being about the same amount of work, as you still have to hack the rear frame and fab up a rear crossmember and bodymounts.

The RE arms attach to the crossmember. You'll need to either lengthen the arms (not good) or fab new mounts. Either way, it's quite an undertaking in any regard. Be prepared.

Mine:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=403448

An example of what you are referring to:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411698
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, seeing if anyone has added 4-5 inches of metel and welded it in right in front of the wheel wells. instead of cutting the back half of the frame off like this go about half way down the page
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274444
then i wouldnt have to move my coil buckets, trackbar,etc all i waould have to move would be tank and shocks, kinda understand what i want to do?
wouldn't adding 10" make it an LJ?
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
ozo101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

you move the axle back to improve departure angle rite? by adding in middle you are just making a longer tj,
ozo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
slowsi
1998 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTEAn example of what you are referring to:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411698][/QUOTE]
thanks for the link i think this is what im going to do minus the body mod. Ill just cut the rear, and plan on making some brackets for the arms.
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you are only adding 4-5" you do not need to add to the frame.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
atxzj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
If you are only adding 4-5" you do not need to add to the frame.
IMHO, >4" and you should add to the frame. After that, the rear coils either get awful short or the fronts get long.

If you are going through that much work to stretch it, go to at least 100" WB. I would stretch at the arch, and leave enough room to move the buckets further in the future if needed. Ask how I know
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
IMHO, >4" and you should add to the frame. After that, the rear coils either get awful short or the fronts get long.

If you are going through that much work to stretch it, go to at least 100" WB. I would stretch at the arch, and leave enough room to move the buckets further in the future if needed. Ask how I know
Mine is 5" with the coils relocated. Uses the same lift spring size front and rear. Fuel tank removed, fuel cell between the frame.

newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
M2LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
wouldn't adding 10" make it an LJ?
Sure looks like one...

And here is his "redneck soft top solution"...

I would think simply finding an LJ would be an easier solution; but considering what he already had invested in this rig, I can understand why he did it!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by M2LJ; 07-27-2009 at 11:00 AM..
M2LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

wouldnt your frame be too long for the body then?

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What the OP is wanting to do, is probably NOT purchase an LJ.
The LJ has too much tub behind the rear tires. I also have a TJ, and am seriously considering extending the
rear axle rearward. The improved the rear departure angle. But the main goal of lengthening the wheelbase is a better tiresize/wheelbase ratio. You can run 37's on a TJ, but adding a few inches of wheelbase will make things dramatically more stable.
Plus, adding wheelbase to the shorter TJ body makes your rig more nimble.
But like stated, it's a pile of work. You can do the GenRight gas tank, but it's $$.
Some people run a fuel cell in the rear behind the rear set. But if you're looking at chopping up the back half of your TJ, you're too the point of not running a back seat.

My plan is to stretch the front first. Then maybe next year stretch the rear. Gaining wheelbase @ the front is WAY cheaper/simpler than the rear.
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LJ View Post
Sure looks like one...

And here is his "redneck soft top solution"...

I would think simply finding an LJ would be an easier solution; but considering what he already had invested in this rig, I can understand why he did it!

Cheers! M2

I wouldn't bash this guys soft-top too quickly. This rig is obviously not daily driven, thus no need for a super-nice soft top. It's a good attempt at a soft top that is probably rarely used, if at all.
BTW; that's a pretty damn nice rig.
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.