TJ Steering Upgrade Question- durability vs Driveability - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Steering Upgrade Question- durability vs Driveability

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
loch_carron
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Steering Upgrade Question- durability vs Driveability

The more I research, the more "wrapped around the axle" I get. I'm looking at either a the Rugged Ridge steering kit or the JCR Offroad UTK kit.

There's a lot of threads about "dead spots" in the steering after the Rugged Ridge kit's been installed and that the TRE's wear out in pretty short order. I've got a 3" lift on my rig and running 33's on the current stock steering.

Would a steering stabilizer reduce/remove the dead spots? My rig is a daily driver, so I've got to find the right compromise between durability on the trail and driveability on the road... any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

loch_carron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
RaymoreRubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of the TRE wear out has to with thefact that most people upgrading the steering system have larger tires and the TREs see much more abuse. I have worn out 2 of the Currie ends. SUCKS! lol

I have the Currie system and it is definitely heavy duty and relatively speaking probably worth the security I get off road. I don't have any dead spots. But like I said, TREs are not warrantied and that sucks because they do wear out quick.
RaymoreRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First: The drive quality/driveability, or lack thereof, of the RR stuff has nothing to do with the quality of the parts. It's 100% in the design and if you understand how the linkage is connecting and what's happening when the drag link pulls on the tie rod then it'll all make sense. The JCR setup will have the exact same problem due to the exact same design. Again, it doesn't matter if the links are high $$ heat treated chromolly and the TRE's are excellent. The slop will remain due to the design. So, don't waste your money on either one--one is poor quality and poor execution, the other is higher quality with poor execution.

Second: A steering stabilizer plays exactly a 0% roll in the dead spot in this discussion. Again, that's completely due to how the tie rod and drag link connect.

Lastly: There is no correlation between durability and driveability. Stock steering linkage provides fantastic drive quality but has poor durability. The above two setups provide poor drive quality but have decent durability. If you want to increase durability without having any effect on drive quality, throw a ZJ tie rod setup on. If you want to drastically increase durability, go Currie.

It's that simple.

And if during your research you didn't come across this thread, here you go: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...k-krawler.html

A lot of bickering but decent tech. There are plenty of other threads out there that discuss this exact same topic.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
loch_carron
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cheers Raymore, I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks Imped, I've looked at the ZJ mod that Stu Olsen has on his site and was one that I was considering as well, and it sucks that there seems to be no happy medium. Thanks as well for filling me in on the steering stabilizer and the fact that it wouldn't do any good eliminating the dead spots. ...and thanks for the link...I'll never understand the bickering...

That's what's great about this forum- newbies like me can get good answers to these sorts of things from you more experienced wheeler's!

Thanks again!

Last edited by loch_carron; 03-19-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Jeepster70
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had the JCR Offroad 1 ton steering upgrade for over a year now on 33's and a 2.5" lift that JCR actually did the work on (I live less than 2 miles from their shop). The steering when installed properly is awesome...no problems or "dead spots at all" and does not need a steering stabilizer. Steers and handles better than stock AND I can bounce my tires off obstacles with impunity and not worry about bent,broke or worn out ANYTHING...so if you are considering this upgrade, maybe you should take advice from someone that's done it the right way. BTW ALL joints and ends with JCR's set up are greasable.
Jeepster70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster70 View Post
I've had the JCR Offroad 1 ton steering upgrade for over a year now on 33's and a 2.5" lift that JCR actually did the work on (I live less than 2 miles from their shop). The steering when installed properly is awesome...no problems or "dead spots at all" and does not need a steering stabilizer. Steers and handles better than stock AND I can bounce my tires off obstacles with impunity and not worry about bent,broke or worn out ANYTHING...so if you are considering this upgrade, maybe you should take advice from someone that's done it the right way. BTW ALL joints and ends with JCR's set up are greasable.
Stabilizers are not a requirement to steer well, they are a requirement to protect the system and damp the shock loads you encounter on stuff like potholes.

There is no steering made that you can bounce off of rocks with impunity, no tie rod end made that won't wear out, and no metal used that is unbendable.

I'm glad you are happy with your system, it is too bad there are so many others that aren't.
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

And it already has a Band-Aid...

"On this system the passenger side TRE dust boot is replaced with a polyurethane spacer, which pulls the body of the TRE against this knuckle. This eliminates the tie rod roll that an inverted T setup sometimes has" http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...uct_Code=1TNST
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loch_carron View Post
The more I research, the more "wrapped around the axle" I get. I'm looking at either a the Rugged Ridge steering kit or the JCR Offroad UTK kit.

There's a lot of threads about "dead spots" in the steering after the Rugged Ridge kit's been installed and that the TRE's wear out in pretty short order. I've got a 3" lift on my rig and running 33's on the current stock steering.

Would a steering stabilizer reduce/remove the dead spots? My rig is a daily driver, so I've got to find the right compromise between durability on the trail and driveability on the road... any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Stay away from the inverted T style steering with the factory TJ steering geometry... the only way inverted T steering works ok is when the drag link is kept really flat, IE with leaf spring YJ's CJ's etc... with dropped pitman arms and high steer.
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
loch_carron
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the additional feedback on the JCR system and Necro, I appreciate your input as well. I'm leaning towards the ZJ mod Imped mentioned and can be found at Stu Olsen's site. Stronger tie rod than the stock TJ and if it looks like I'm likely to tear it to shreds, then I'll likely go JCR or Currie.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.