Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TJ speaker upgrade

5K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  mdawg4x4 
#1 ·
yeah yeah i know, electronics section, but this pertains to TJ's

anyway i like the infinity speakers DC provided me with in my 06 Rubicon, but they just dont have the umph i want. i think if i upgraded i'd got to Polk's but i need to know what the biggest speakers i can put in the stock locations are? i also want to replace the sub with something a little bit more substantial, but i want to leave the sub in the stock location, in the arm rest thingy.

suggestions? i dont plan on changeing the head, im gonna keep the stock one because it works fine for me, i suppose i'll need to put an amp somewere

#2 ·
Disclaimer: all reference to Infinity in my post refers to aftermarket Infinity products which are VERY different from factory instally Infinity sound products

So far, I have fit 5 1/4 Infinity Kappas into the dash w/ special plates and 6 1/2 Inf Kappa components in the Sound Bar. This was a customers car, It sounded nice (it was run off an amp), but IMO I think Infinities are too bright (meaning to much treble).

If I was the customer I personally would have went with alpines... Polks are nice too. but the customer always knows more than a experianced installer. :rofl:

Not sure how, but I WILL get my 4 - 6.5" Type R's in there...into stock locations (deepest 6.5 speakers I have seen - 3"). Probablly gonna to have to cut / relocate Jeep parts to get them into the dash... the soundbar is easy, might need a little shave.

When I get around to installing them I will post pics.

#6 ·
#8 ·
ozntz said:
Offroadtoystore also sells them on e-bay for a little bit cheaper
Good point!

Yea, it was a while ago when I bought mine, but I remember them being around $14.00 for the pair. Maybe E-bay is where I got mine from (I can't remember), but $24.00 seemed quite a bit higher than I paid.

#9 ·
I just put 5.25" in my dash and 6.5" in my sound bar... works great. I didn't even have to do any trimming for my dash... seems like they took that bar out in later model TJs.

#11 ·
spyder6 said:
rocky, you and i have the same sound bars, did you have to do any trimming or anything? did you use the larger brackets?

also anyone have any idea how large of a subwoofer can be fit into the stock location?
For the sound bar, I used 2 screws that came with it, and used 2 self tapping screws that went into the plastic.

For the dash speakers, I bought adapter brackets and they bolted right up without cutting. Newer TJs don't require cutting.

#15 ·
spyder6 said:
also, what kinda brackets are needed for the rear speakers or will 6.5's just slip in? thanks!
My Polk 6.5" speakers fit right in.... they don't sit exactly perfect, but the screws tightened it down and the grill covers up anything that's not 100% straight.

#16 ·
I cut my soundbar a bit to take 6.5" speakers. I also put polyfill in the soundbar. Better than stock, but your'e never going to get good sound in a Jeep. The previous owner put in Polk 4x6 speakers in the dash. Without an amp and a sub, it will only sound so good.

#17 ·
i just went to put some polyfill behind my dash speakers but it seems it doesn't have the 4x6" ones. did they change it in the later models? i didn't measure but it seems that there are some 4.5-5.25" cones with little tweeters above them. they're unmarked so i can't tell if they're aftermarket or not but was just wondering if the previous owner upgraded

gotta charge my camera but i'll post a picture later

:confused:

#19 ·
I can see through the dash screens that mine has the round 4.5 or bigger speakers, probably aftermarket from previous owner, doesn't matter though with the angle that there facing I can never hear 'em.

#20 ·

http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/sakj46t525.htm

and these

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gXsskRFpqzp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=speaker+baffles&i=237XT52

When you install the baffles, cut the bottom circle out. Before that the speakers had no bass at all. It looked as though they were just vibrating. One of the audio tech guys from crutchfield suggested the modified baffles when I called them about the poor speaker performance. He explained that without them the front and the rear of the speaker were to close to move any air to get sound. If you notice the factory baffles come that way. He told me if it didn't work I could send them back.

My Alpine 6.5 came with the adapters for the sound bar.

#23 ·
I was really happy with the offroad toy store brackets i got for 5.25 speakers in the front of my tj. They are heavy duty and i have cdt componants in there and they have help up well.

I chose to not upgrade my rears and run them from the head unit. I prefer to get better staging and sound by keeping it in frnot of me.

a

ps i paid 20 on ebay for the 5.25 adapters

#24 ·
spyder6 said:
its a 6.5" as far as i know. if you wanted to fit an 8 in, im sure its possible with some minor modification, but it would have to be a very shallow 8" and you would have to wire in your own amp
I found out from ROF that the stock size is 6.5", and I found out last night when I took mine apart, that I can fit an 8" in there with some trimming.

For reference: the stock subwoofer is a 6.5" Dual voice coil 2 Ohm speaker. As long as you replace it with something of the same variation, you'll be fine.

#26 ·
Just adding a pair of baffles for front dash speakers will provide more rich sound and add some umps. I bought mine from crutchfield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.