TJ soft top help/recommendation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ soft top help/recommendation

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 04-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
ptwelve
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ soft top help/recommendation

I was hoping I could get some input regarding soft tops.

I currently have a Bestop Supertop on my TJ and I can assure you there is nothing super about it. To take the top off takes me at least 7 minutes and it takes 15 minutes to get it back on and adjusted. It's terrible. One of the selling points for the Mrs. was that the TJ could be our convertible as we had just gotten rid of my Miata. The problem is the top is so time consuming that we don't put it down very often.

How long does a stock TJ top take to put up and down? Does anyone have any experience with the how long it takes to remove a Viking(Rampage) top off if you don't want to run it just as a bikini?

If they are all a PITA I will just stick with the Supertop, but if there is a significant improvement for ease of use I'd be looking to switch.

Thanks,
P

Last edited by ptwelve; 04-16-2010 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: crying baby = bad grammer/spelling
ptwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
RoadRunnerTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As another miata owner... I have given up on finding a top for the jeep that was as simple and easy to use as the miata's top. Have you looked at the Off Road Heroes top? I was considering that one as a possibility. But then the more i thought about it... the more i liked the factory top. I guess in the later years they made it easier/more simple.

-Jeremy

[CENTER]~There is no knowledge that is not power.~[/CENTER]
RoadRunnerTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where a Wrangler is concerned, there are no tops or mechanisms that are any faster to put up or take down. The OE mechanism is as good as it gets and far better than anything else out there where a traditional full top is concerned.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
ZachAttack923
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i find that my Replay Top by Pavement Ends with stock mechanism takes me about 5 min to put down and place the windows in my clover patch window roll bag add a minute to take either the full door off or take the soft uppers and out.
it may have something to do with the age of the top as mine is only a year and a half old.
also i take mine up and down very often
i also spray the pins that connect the bows to the roll cage about once a month with some silicon spray.
also i find that when i put the top up/down in a certain order it goes up/down quicker
my order to put it down is
unlatch the front
remove drip rails over the doors
remove side windows and place in clove patch roll up bag
remove rear window and place in clove patch roll up bag
roll up the felt pages and windows and place in protective sleeve
remove the rear corner pieces( forget correct term) and place them on the top of the top
slowly lower the top and keep all the material in side the tub
attach the clover patch roll up bag
remove the upper soft halves and place behind the rear seat and infront of the top
drive away with the music blasting
reverse to put the top up
other hints for the top once you put the top of the top up place the latches in the header but dont fully clamp them
and leave the drivers side rear flap that goes by the c pillar out of the tub rail as it makes it easier to put the rear window in
window order for up should be rear, side, side
a helper helps a lot and if you want to get good at putting the top up and down practice doing it in your drive way( i did when i got my new top and even thoug you may look stupid practicing you never will once you can put the top down fast and go driving in a topless jeep)
2.5L Low Output #923
White Jeep Club #923
1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L AX-5 D30/35 4.10 gears
31in Wildcat A/T's
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_niko View Post
I would be as nervous as a virgin on prom night if I had to drive that
ZachAttack923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

A replacement top with the OE hardware is your best bet if you want the easiest top to remove and put up.

The Rampage or Viking tops can be removed in half a minute but they take a few minutes to put up. They're a good option though. Quality tops and they're cheaper than buying a RAT and OE hardware.

Tags
bestop , rampage , supertop , top , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.