TJ shift slow normal? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
CarolineC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ shift slow normal?

I know a lot about Jeeps but the ones I've driven/ rode in where all stick shifts and I just recently bought a 1997 TJ thats an automatic and I took it on the highway for the first time today. I know that Jeeps are more for lower gears but mine just sounded funky.

I was driving, 1st to 2nd was fine.
2nd to 3rd took a little longer than I'm used to (used to drive a 1993 Grand Cherokee)
I felt like 3rd to 4th grear was a huge gap.
I was at 55mph (I'm afraid of highways) and it was at like 2 3/4 - 3 Rpm the whole time til about 60mph it shifted to 4th gear. Is this normal?

My boyfriend who went to school for automotive technology said it was fine (he has a 91 jeep wrangler, 5-speed though) but its got me a little worried that my Jeep might have a bad tranny

Any help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM
jvrydex
1995 YJ Wrangler 

One quick easy possible "fix" would be to check/ adjust the TV cable. Do a search on it and try adjusting it using the info. The trans will live longer if it is set to hold shifts longer. It's a rougher shift. You'd think a smoother shift is better, but it's not. Smoother shift= more slippage and heat. So, your man may be right.

jv
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
CarolineC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I mean it didnt sound like it struggled to shift or made any strange noises it just took a long time I felt and I thought the Rpm was too high at 3 and staying that high I'm not sure if thats normal.

My Grand Cherokee had A LOT of tranny problems I replaced it twice so I know when it sounds bad, but my Grand Cherokee was a straight 6 where my new wrangler is only a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder so maybe it has less shifts because of a smaller engine?

post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 PM
plowboy1970
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4th is not 4th. It is only a 3 speed with a lock up torque converter. That last "shift" is the torque converter locking up. It will only lock above 40 MPH, or about there. Sounds about right for shifting. That 3 speed is pretty reliable. I bet it is fine.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 PM
joeksjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ha, ya when i first got my xj it has the locking torque converter, in any gear, i was like wtf is this thing doing... then i got on jeep forum and learned me some stuff haha...

Sounds normal tho

and when ya get a min fill out your specs for your jeep so we all know whats been done to better help you out with further questions

92 Xj 190,XXX miles needs love, and a TURBO HA!
150RwHp, 186 Lbs torque Rw, and all at 175XXX miles in my Xj
DD 98 wrangler sport 5spd 4.0 106,XXX miles

Chrysler Factory Trained Jeep technician, and A.S.E. Certified Master Tech
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
CarolineC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys so much! You put me at ease and now I can sleep haha I've had enough tranny problems with the Cherokee don't need that with the wrangler. The way you all desrcibe it makes me believe my jeep is normal and doesn't have a problem. I'm gonna have my machanice look over Everything in 2 weeks but you all have put me at ease, thanks!!

Tags
shifting , slow , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.