TJ Security - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Security

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 02-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Rommel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Security

I'm going to be moving from a garaged suburb in New Jersey to an apartment in Brooklyn next month where I will park on the street, and the odds of someone breaking into my Jeep are therefore going way up. I already have a Viper Alarm System with a motion sensor, but I'm looking to upgrade either the center console or the glove box with one of the Tuffy (or something comprobable) solutions.

My question any of you that have any experience with these components is which you would recommend. I'm currently very interested in the Tuffy Security Console Insert, being that I have some custom modifications to the rest of my center console already and replacing the entire thing seems a bit overkill at double the cost or more for an insert. But the one thing I don't like about the insert is that it's not really a visible deterrent. So I'm also considering getting the Tuffy Glove Box Safe as an alternative to the center console insert, being that it acts as a visual as well as physical deterrant.

Besides the obvious size differences between the two, are there any advantages/disadvantages to either of these solutions? Is the glove box as secure as the center console? Is it as easy to remove to get to the fuse box?

Any insight or ideas appreciated.

-Romm

Unread 02-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Although this will be a pain in the butt, there is no helping it:

1) If you have a softop, never ever lock it. The fact that you lock it means that there must be something worth stealing inside, so it's an invitation to anyone passing by to pickup some broken glass from the gutter and slash their way in.

2) Softop of hardtop, don't own an aftermarket stereo or subwoofer box. It is real visible and obviously worth stealing. If you must have an aftermarket stereo, completely conceal it in the glovebox or console and leave the stock stereo in the dash.

3) Never keep anything worth stealing in either the Tuffy console or the glovebox safe. They might or might not succeed in opening these but either way the interior will sustain hundreds of $ in damage. Take everything you care about losing inside everyday, and leave the glovebox/console open.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
theiastcowboy

i agree with what he said. You shouldn't have anything in your jeep that costs more than replacing your whole soft top.

dont keep any bank records, or credit card statements in it and keep it unlocked.
theiastcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
lauxie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed. I park my new Rubi on the southside of Chicago a lot w/the top down and I just open the glove box and center console to show theives I have nothing to steal.

The idea is to conceal the stereo and make it look empty.

I also put my seats forward. Not sure if this deters jack sheat, but it makes me feel better. LOL

'04 Rubicon
5 spd
no cruise...ever
stock besides cheap + basic mods
lauxie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
JeepCrazyKid

It looks like you have a hard top and full steel doors. You shouldn't have too many problems with this combo.

Most of the problems people have is with cut windows.
JeepCrazyKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
lauxie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCrazyKid
It looks like you have a hard top and full steel doors. You shouldn't have too many problems with this combo.

Most of the problems people have is with cut windows.
FYI to soft top owners...some insurance companies provide jeep owners w/full coverage for cut windows from break-ins. You might want to check w/yours as well. I can't remember if this could possibly raise premiums though. May not be worth it in the end.

'04 Rubicon
5 spd
no cruise...ever
stock besides cheap + basic mods
lauxie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
FlyersFan2009

I think I've locked my doors 1/2 a dozen time in the 4-5 years I've owned my Jeep. I agree that not locking the doors is one of the best "security" measures you can take for a soft top parked outside.
FlyersFan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
linux24

Let's be more specific. All of this advice applies to guys with half doors with soft windows up front. Those of us with full steel doors do ourselves a favor by locking our doors. Slicing through a side window doesn't create an opening big enough to steal through when its the back windows. Unzipping them is useful though. The big rear window is also unzippable or could be sliced through, but then you are climbing into a Jeep through the seats, and having locked myself out before, that's a pain.

I think its folly to leave anything in your Jeep that is precious to you like jewelry or such, because the vehicle can never been secured. But leaving full doors unlocked is less secure than locking them any day of the week - soft top or not.

Lastly, the advice about not locking anything valuable inside a Tuffy console is just insipid. Dude, if you lock something in there, how can it attract a thief? They can't see it. Whether anything is in it or not, either the console itself does the attracting or items left in the open do.

And the part about hiding your radio? Don't almost all car radios have removable face plates now?

I'd be more worried about someone stealing the entire Jeep than I would about someone breaking in and taking things. But it is true you should never leave valuables in any car, and locking half doors is silly. If you have no doors on your Jeep, then locking them is also pointless.
linux24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
JeepCrazyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux24
Let's be more specific. All of this advice applies to guys with half doors with soft windows up front. Those of us with full steel doors do ourselves a favor by locking our doors. Slicing through a side window doesn't create an opening big enough to steal through when its the back windows. Unzipping them is useful though. The big rear window is also unzippable or could be sliced through, but then you are climbing into a Jeep through the seats, and having locked myself out before, that's a pain.

I think its folly to leave anything in your Jeep that is precious to you like jewelry or such, because the vehicle can never been secured. But leaving full doors unlocked is less secure than locking them any day of the week - soft top or not.
I have full steel and never lock them. A thief is not going to sit there and think to himself, "gee, i'm going to have to climb over the rear seat......i'll think i'll skip cutting this guy's window and move on."

Quote:
Lastly, the advice about not locking anything valuable inside a Tuffy console is just insipid. Dude, if you lock something in there, how can it attract a thief?
You only buy a safe if you have something valuable to protect. If you have a tuffy, chances are you have something valuable.

Quote:
And the part about hiding your radio? Don't almost all car radios have removable face plates now?
Upgraded head unit usually means (though not always, I know) upgraded speakers, amps, etc.
Unread 02-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hoods locks might be good, but I'm not sure if I'll get one myself. Do get a locking gas cap, though. Relatively cheap, much cheaper than fixing an engine. Some wheel locks for your spare wouldnt hurt either. If you're alarm is set real sensitive (like mine) you might not need a tuffy. I figure that even if they got their way into the Jeep and sat down on the seat without setting off the alarm, they wouldnt be able to bust through a locked factory console without setting it off. Then again, I dont live in a city so a tuffy might not be such a bad idea. If you really want protection, get some door locks (like the kind that keep you from taking the doors off) and light-locks.
MattTheMudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 04:23 PM   #11
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think there is any common rule when it comes to thieves. Some will check the doors and some won't. I lock mine and have an alarm and Tuffy glove box and console insert. It is good to get both since there is not that much space in either. So far, I have had no break-ins and hopefully it will remain that way. I do not live in Brooklyn though - but some areas there are more upscale than others. Hopefully you are moving to the more upscale sections of Brooklyn. Good luck.
opiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #12
JeepCrazyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiv
I don't think there is any common rule when it comes to thieves. Some will check the doors and some won't.
Tuck a little sign on your dashboard, "Try before you pry."
Unread 02-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel
I'm going to be moving from a garaged suburb in New Jersey to an apartment in Brooklyn next month where I will park on the street, and the odds of someone breaking into my Jeep are therefore going way up. I already have a Viper Alarm System with a motion sensor, but I'm looking to upgrade either the center console or the glove box with one of the Tuffy (or something comprobable) solutions.

My question any of you that have any experience with these components is which you would recommend. I'm currently very interested in the Tuffy Security Console Insert, being that I have some custom modifications to the rest of my center console already and replacing the entire thing seems a bit overkill at double the cost or more for an insert. But the one thing I don't like about the insert is that it's not really a visible deterrent. So I'm also considering getting the Tuffy Glove Box Safe as an alternative to the center console insert, being that it acts as a visual as well as physical deterrant.

Besides the obvious size differences between the two, are there any advantages/disadvantages to either of these solutions? Is the glove box as secure as the center console? Is it as easy to remove to get to the fuse box?

Any insight or ideas appreciated.

-Romm
I have the Tuffy wheel-well boxes, and I'm quite pleased with them, although they don't offer all that much storage space. I was hoping to mount my MP3 player in one of them, but it turned out too big for the space they had. So I ended up getting a Tuffy glove-box and mounted it in there. I also bought a key-matched lock direct from Tuffy so I can have the same key for both the glove-box and the two rear boxes. I'm also considering buying an under-seat drawer.

My theory is that the theives around my area wont bother trying to break into a steel lockbox and will move on to an easier target. I also leave my doors unlocked. If they want my $2 sunglasses I leave on the dash, they can have 'em.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
Giviner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that jeeps are one of the more theft prone vehicles available on the market.......however, I do enjoy my music and for me the facory stereo just doesn't cut it. I used to have a 97 TJ with full hard doors and hard top, I had it cleaned out twice (head unit, amp, sub, cd's etc.) :

So I did the usual "closing the barn door after the horse escapes" method and bought a security system with a shock sensor and a 2-way pager. I had it re-installed in my '03 Sahara when I got it, I also bolted the sub box to the body from the inside (before installing the sub) so it cannot be removed without taking the sub out of the box (impossible when the trunk is locked). But I guess my main point is that with the shock sensors, if anyone climbed into the jeep and attempted to remove the stereo or any of its components......they would have to be pretty quiet or I would get a page.....have to grab my bat.....and deal with some ******* thief who was too much of a b**ch to buy his own sh*t

So.......my advice.........not to reiterate what everyone else has said but, if you want to have a stereo, make sure to get a security system with it, and I agree not to lock the doors or leave anything valuable just sitting around, makes you a prime target for a smash & grab. I haven't had any problems since I got my system and I leave my jeep outside all the time, there have even been neighbours cars parked next to me that have been broken into

Just my two cents.......
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #15
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The full steel Jeep door has a glass window. Which is several hundreds of dollars cheaper to replace than a softop. Unfortunately theives still find slashing the top easier and quieter. Anybody with a softop is just foolish to own an expensive stereo - provided you live in a part of the country with theives, and park outside.

If you have a silent alarm that pages you, that and a baseball bat buys you some satisfaction, but only by about 50% or less, usually the theives run off before you get there. Occasionally they shoot you first, before you get in bat range.

I leave my TJ parked in my driveway under a motion detector 15' off the ground at the peak of the roof. The detector turns on a light and rings a chime in the bedroom. I respond with a 12-guage shotgun and a portable phone. The first two shells have rock salt, then the remaining have 00 buckshot in case the thief cannot take a painfull hint. In practice the light scares them off, I have twice responded and found nothing and nobody, Jeep still intact. Maybe the NRA sticker helps. I'm not saying I'd shoot at them - but I have some options if I ever find anyone.

Meanwhile back to the topic of security. The Add-A-Trunk is fairly secure, especially the earlier Mopar metal versions. A thief has to pull the lock cylinder to get in the tailgate. It's just not convenient to stash anything back there - or anyway it's not much more convenient than carrying everything indoors.

Something else I have been doing in all my vehicles for years is to just lay things I do not want seen on the floor, and cover them with a cloth the same color as the carpet. The principle is the same - they can't see anything worth stealing at night.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • Top down security - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (43 replies)
  • Security - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (11 replies)
  • Security Box - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (5 replies)
  • Security - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (2 replies)
  • Security - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (11 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.