TJ Seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Seats

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
jeeperJake217
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Seats

its time to rip the factory seats out of the jeep and put in new ones. i want seats that are able to have a 4 point harness. im going to get someone to weld a tube behind the seats all the way across and weld to the roll bar. that way i have something to hook my harness to behind the seat. so if im going to have that bar back there, there is really no reason to spend the extra money on a reclining seat? i should get a fixed seat or a "suspension seat". im not looking to pay $500 a seat and could care less what brand it is...the seats are going to be all black and i want a material that wont fade in the sun. that was the problem with my seat covers. they sat in the sun and turned purple. if i spend money on these nice black seats, i want them to stay black. throw some suggestions at me! thanks guys

jeeperJake217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
jeeperJake217
2000 TJ Wrangler 

anybody???
jeeperJake217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I highly suggest paying the good money on some quality seats (mastercraft, Corbeau, etc). I went the cheap route on some rugged ridge reclining sport seats and they blow. I should have just paid the extra money to get the Corbeau's that I wanted in the first place; their SS suspension seats and brackets for the TJ end up being aroun $560 for the pair.

As for the fading, I can't really comment on that. However, I do know that company's sell covers when the seats aren't in use to keep them from doing that. Hopefully some others that have actually had some can chime in.
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I put PRP reclining suspension seats in mine. I can't comment on their fade tolerance to this point, as they haven't seen the sun yet, and likely won't for a while (Jeep is undergoing new suspension and axles).

I would suggest suspension seats though. The absorbtion of the ride is way better, and a fixed seat will likely get uncomfortable after a while, esp. off road.

Just remember that seats are like most things - you get what you pay for. I think it's better to spend a little more up front than have to spend money twice to do it again.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

PRP DD's

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
mg2380
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
PRP DD's

I'm thinking about ordering a set from, Gerald... How do you like them?
mg2380 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Love my Corbeau Baja RS seats! Won't leave them in the sun, though...

forumrunner_20120816_132233.jpg
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2380 View Post
They were the replacements from his originals, and he still has them if that tells you anything...

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
wheelinsw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love my Corbeau buckets in mine, if i had a choice and it wasnt installed by the P.O. I would get either the Mastercraft or Corbeau with reclining backs
wheelinsw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed for more info
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
55willystruck

Seats are something I need to be planning for as well as mine are full of weld holes and separating. Twisted Stitch, PRP and Mastercraft are at the top of my list. Would need to sit in them to determine which and what style. I hated one of the fixed mastercrafts as it just didn't fit well and gave sore spots after a bit. Never would have lasted a full day behind the wheel. A buddy runs the reclining version and loves them. For the cost, I'd certainly want to make sure they fit me well and definitely wouldn't want to skimp on lesser quality that won't last.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2380

Gerald sells seats now too? That would be great. I like my PRP seat, and plan on ordering two more in the next couple of weeks, but I've never been impressed with PRPs customer service.
Unread 08-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2380 View Post
Love em. I left them out in the sun plenty last summer, got them dirty and wet, and they look good as new. I ordered mine from Poly Performance but made sure to talk to someone directly in order to ensure I got what I wanted. I got them with double stitching and adjustable lumbar support and I also managed to get a little discount at the same time. I did plenty of research before deciding on who to go with and these came out on top. Definitely happy with them.

Also, seat adapter brackets are very easy to make out of some 3/16" angle iron. You don't realize how much play there is in the stock seat assembly until there is none. These things are rock solid and bolted down firm and don't move one bit. It really keeps you planted when you want to drive the thing like a race car, which I do often.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.