TJ Seat Swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PCO6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Seat Swap

I needed to deal with the front driver's seat of my '03 TJ which was looking pretty bad. The options were to reupholster, recover or replace them. I chose to replace both seats with a set from an auto wrecker. My basic criteria was black vinyl seats from a 2 door of some sort so they would fold forward. Seat heaters would have been nice but weren't essential.

I must have looked at 150 cars at the wrecker I went to. The 3rd car I saw seemed to fit the bill (except for the heaters) but I had to look at them all ... "just in case".

I got a set out of a '03 Hyundai Tiburon and they turned out great. The hardest part was to determine what parts from each set of seats I needed. In the end I was able to keep both sets of seats in tact and build some simple brackets to make the Tiburon seats fit. The only modification I had to make to either seat was to cut away a small amount of plastic from the base of the seat on the driver's side to clear the Jeep seat belt mechanism. It made no real difference to the appearance.

Here's how they turned out ... very comfortable!

And from the back. Even got a mesh storage net.

Simple bracket made out of flat bar. I will remove the seats, paint the brackets and use grade 8 hardware. They can now be removed easier than the original seats.

Nice thing about this type of head rest is that I can hang a back pack (or ?) from them. This is my old first aid kit from Scouting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 PM
goinbroke89
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice!
post #3 of 43 Old 12-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great job, those look awesome.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 43 Old 12-28-2014, 05:22 PM
JeeperLink
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, they are nice! Makes me want to look for some.. And look like they were made for a Jeep!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 43 Old 12-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What did you do for the sliders?
post #6 of 43 Old 12-28-2014, 05:50 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's one clean looking floorboard for a Canadian Jeep!

Your jeep must be one of the few without any leaks.. lol.

Hello from another Canadian!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 43 Old 12-28-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
PCO6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
What did you do for the sliders?
I used the sliders from the Tiburon seats and they work fine. I wanted to keep both sets of seats in tact vs. using bits from each.

The only thing I have to do is make a cable pull so the passenger's seat flips forward like the original did. That will be pretty straight forward.
post #8 of 43 Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
PCO6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
That's one clean looking floorboard for a Canadian Jeep!

Your jeep must be one of the few without any leaks.. lol.

Hello from another Canadian!
This Jeep ('03) spent its winters in Florida ... until I got my hands on it! This will be its second Canadian winter. It's a daily driver and it makes regular trips to Krown Rustproofing.
post #9 of 43 Old 12-29-2014, 06:12 AM
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

nice! a guy in my group used wj seats in his tj. Loves his heated seats in the winter haha

His:00 TJ "Fiona" stuff/stuff/stuff
95 ZJ 3.5" w/242 swap-Sold
Hers: 15 JK Sahara-3" Teraflex
post #10 of 43 Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 AM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
This Jeep ('03) spent its winters in Florida ... until I got my hands on it! This will be its second Canadian winter. It's a daily driver and it makes regular trips to Krown Rustproofing.
I hear ya, our winters can be some hard on cars. One of the reasons I do not drive my Jeep in the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
nice! a guy in my group used wj seats in his tj. Loves his heated seats in the winter haha
I did the same thing a couple of years ago in my TJ, I didn't opt to install the power features tho just to not have wires running everywhere.

But you can see some pics in my build thread - the seats look real nice and certainly a lot better than my old 97 seats..

post #11 of 43 Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Heated leather WJ seats are the most plush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #12 of 43 Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 AM
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
As a FL oldfag, I just want to make a quick comment about 'florida' cars. Depending on the distance from the ocean a florida car can suffer worse damage than one from "up north". The salty mist for the ocean gets into places that can't be removed no matter how much rinsing. And often the condo rinse water can be brackish as well.

I had a company ford taurus that had the heater core fail from corrosion and the car was regularly serviced. It lived outside near the beach for three years and was driven normally.

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of nice cars in sunny florida. But it's not a guarantee no salt damage.

</end Dennis miller> lol
post #13 of 43 Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
PCO6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ I don't know specifically where in Florida it was but I was told by the vendor that it spent 4 months there and 8 months here since new. Anyway, I'm happy to say it has virtually no rust on it.
post #14 of 43 Old 12-30-2014, 03:16 PM
NE4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread my friend, the pics. are enticing. My 03 seats at over 200K are on borrowed time and I shall be looking for these seat soon.
post #15 of 43 Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 AM
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! I put leather ZJ seats in mine but will probably get something else eventually. They took care of the 2 main issues I was concerned with (needed extra lower back lumbar support and wanted leather) but came with other issues instead. Between being slick leather and having less lateral support than the factory seats I feel like I have to hold onto the steering wheel to keep from sliding out on corners lol. They also aren't as plush as I expected, actually kind of firm. I'm thinking a lot of that could be dry hardened leather though. I've been thinking about something more like you have. As for heaters, I didn't feel like trying to get mine to work so I just put some aftermarket waterproof heaters in mine. Works great, it was 27 degrees (yes, Fahrenheit, -2.7C in Canadia) on the way to work today and I was fine with no doors, a thick jacket, and gloves.

YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.