TJ Rubicon rumbling rear end noise at 50mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Rubicon rumbling rear end noise at 50mph

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Ghostwatcherz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Rubicon rumbling rear end noise at 50mph

Need some help on this one. I am looking to buy a used 2004 Rubicon.

Lifted with 6in lift, 35inch tires and a few other mods. While driving, when I get to about 45mph through 60mph, the rear end has a terrible vibration that sounds like "vruum, vruum, vruum..."
It sounds like a drive line problem, because when I take my foot off the gas, it stops instantly. So I knew it wasnt the tires or axles. It ONLY happens when you are driving with the gas pedal depressed.

My concern is, the jeep is quiet at 55mph when I take my foot off the gas, but making loud noises every other second, like a rotational noise (loud) when the gas is applied.

Any ideas??

Ghostwatcherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check your driveline angles. I'm betting the PO didn't and now you've got vibes. Depending on how long it's been going on you may need new ujoints.

I'm assuming this is a 6" long arm lift? If its a short arm, I'd run not walk away.

And no offense, but I will not buy a used lifted Jeep. You just don't know what kind of knucklehead did the work (disregard if you know the knucklehead to is experienced with Jeep suspension and drivelines).
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Ghostwatcherz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How (by visually looking) can I tell the diff between a long arm and short?? I think the guy did it professionally, it was his third Jeep and he has a rock crawler now, this was actually his wifes jeep, and they did go off roading, but nothing major. Is this something any major shop can check out, or should I bring to a jeep facility? (I work at a Ford dealer, but have NO mechanical experience myself.. haha) (
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
pumpman55
2006 TJ Wrangler 

are ya still using the factory tc skid. that pulsating harmonic is common with the auto trans
pumpman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Ghostwatcherz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what I am using, as I mentioned earlier, I just got it and have no idea what the previous owner did. It is exactly a pulsating harmonic! Thats the best way to describe it... Now how do I fix it??? haha
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Ghostwatcherz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I spoke with a few Tech's and most seem to think it is probably not the U-Joints, but maybe a Diff problem... Now the fun starts.

Tags
tj , wrangler , rubicon , noise , rear end , driveline , accelerating

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.