TJ Rubicon front axle C braces: Where can I buy prefabbed C brace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Rubicon front axle C braces: Where can I buy prefabbed C brace?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Reply
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northwest USA. Usually wet, sometimes cold.
Posts: 4,200
TJ Rubicon front axle C braces: Where can I buy prefabbed C brace?

Does any company sell a prefabbed brace for bracing C?

Kits?

I'm looking to buy some to brace my C's while MudB8 is already working on my front housing, and before it's powder coated.

CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
never monday
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In my own world
Posts: 6,789
Poly Performance
__________________
Get Savvy
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northwest USA. Usually wet, sometimes cold.
Posts: 4,200
I found this at PolyPerformance for a JK C brace. Would one of these two JK C braces work on a TJ? Do they have one for a TJ? I haven't seen one at their site (or any site) mentioned specifically for TJ.

Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Suspension Kits/Parts*::*Jeep Suspension Systems*::*2007+ Jeep JK Wrangler Suspension Systems*::*Poly Performance*::*Poly Performance Jeep JK Front Dana 30/44 Inner C Gusset Kit 4x4 - JK Synergy Suspension Syste
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,057
Ballistic Fab is supposedly going to be releasing some "any day" now....but they said that a couple months ago. It definitely wouldn't be a hard part to cut out. I'm sure mudb8 could make you some. If that happens, post up some pics so I can copy the shape.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,974
mudb8's good with a grinder...they ain't hard to cut out from flat plate he could have it done before you even get the parts shipped to you...lol

Last edited by Unlimited04; 07-23-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Does any company sell a prefabbed brace for bracing C?

Kits?

I'm looking to buy some to brace my C's while MudB8 is already working on my front housing, and before it's powder coated.
I don't know of any, nor do I see the need unless you're jumping the rig in which case it won't matter anyway because the rest of the rig will die first.

The JK can pull it off because the spring perches are taller and there's more room. Besides all that, any brace worth welding on will interfere with the raised swaybar link mounts.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.
 
MisfitSeven's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bennington, Nebraska
Posts: 3,214
something like these?

click.
hey IMPED!
__________________
Mail crawling.
MisfitSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,057
I wish there was that much room on TJ 30's.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
never monday
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In my own world
Posts: 6,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Does any company sell a prefabbed brace for bracing C?

Kits?

I'm looking to buy some to brace my C's while MudB8 is already working on my front housing, and before it's powder coated.
how did I mis that

save your money and just spray bomb it. It's a 30, eventually it will die.
__________________
Get Savvy
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northwest USA. Usually wet, sometimes cold.
Posts: 4,200
To anyone reading this thread: It was MudB8 who suggested to me that I buy some prefabbed braces, if I could find them. This to save him the trouble of making them, if I wanted the C's braced. He never told me I needed them braced.

To anyone else reading this, do you think I need C braces for Trxus 34 X 12.5 R15 tires? MudB8 tells me those tires are taller than a BFG 35, but he never said I need C braces.

Due to the tall tires and low gearing, I'm going for all the strength I can get from my front diff housing, tubes, and knuckles. MudB8 has already retubed it with stronger tubes. So it's strong in that area, and I've got Longfield axles. So my frontend is pretty strong now. Just not sure about the C's.

I'm not sure what the stock (unbraced) TJ Rubi C can handle. I've heard many times on the Internet that they're weak and only really reliable for up to 33 X 12.5 tires, but I don't know what's the truth about that. I've heard many other things on the Web that I know are NOT correct. So I'm not sure what to think about the C's, which is why I started this thread.

I do know my new tires will be Trxus 34 that are allegedly taller than a BFG 35. I'm concerned about my C's strength, but maybe I don't need to worry about it.

No, I won't ever be jumping it (my bad back wouldn't allow that).

For that matter, is it possible to brace the C on a TJ Rubi frontend? I sounds like maybe it's not possible.

Last edited by CB3; 07-25-2010 at 08:36 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northwest USA. Usually wet, sometimes cold.
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
how did I mis that

save your money and just spray bomb it. It's a 30, eventually it will die.
It's a TJ Rubi 44/30.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northwest USA. Usually wet, sometimes cold.
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I don't know of any, nor do I see the need unless you're jumping the rig in which case it won't matter anyway because the rest of the rig will die first.
Is that still the case, even with Trxus 34 that are allegedly taller than a BFG 35?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The JK can pull it off because the spring perches are taller and there's more room. Besides all that, any brace worth welding on will interfere with the raised swaybar link mounts.
Well, I guess that's the case regardless of my tire size. I guess no braces for me then.

Thanks for your advice Mr. Blaine. Also, thanks everyone else.

Last edited by CB3; 07-25-2010 at 09:06 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Is that still the case, even with Trxus 34 that are allegedly taller than a BFG 35?


A big whatever on the tire size, what matters is how you plan on driving it. We've stressed the same inner C in JV enough towing out a rig in 3 wheel drive that it ovaled the hole that holds the upper balljoint in and never bent the C or the tube.

If you're going to use lots of wheelspin and hop up things because you drive like a madman, get a bigger front axle because you're just going to over stress the one you have. If you aren't, then it doesn't need bracing.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northwest USA. Usually wet, sometimes cold.
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
A big whatever on the tire size, what matters is how you plan on driving it. We've stressed the same inner C in JV enough towing out a rig in 3 wheel drive that it ovaled the hole that holds the upper balljoint in and never bent the C or the tube.

If you're going to use lots of wheelspin and hop up things because you drive like a madman, get a bigger front axle because you're just going to over stress the one you have. If you aren't, then it doesn't need bracing.
OK. I'll forget the C braces. It sounds like there isn't room, and not needed anyway.

The wheel spin and hopping thing was exactly my offroading style with my stock XJ and slightly modded LJ within the limits of what my back can take. That offroad driving style is from back in the day when I was doing semi-hardcore things with a stock XJ that had 30 X 9.5 R15 tires. My dad used to do same with a stock full size Wagoneer with stock size tires.

Wheel spin, momentum, and LCG allowed me to hang with (and sometimes out-do) modified Jeeps with much bigger tires on certain terrains. Not to say I could hang with them on all terrains, but certain terrains yes, like very steep climbs, offcamber stuff, and very steep slick winter roads.

Now that I have lift and larger tires I probably don't need to drive as aggressively as I used to with smaller tires, but most if my wheeling experience is with smaller tires. I guess I should learn to adapt my driving style to having larger tires, now that I have them. But most of my wheeling experienced to date is with 30" and 33" tires which I got to do some amazing things by wheelspin, momemtum, and speed. I'll need some time and practice with my new larger tires to adapt myself to them.

Last edited by CB3; 07-27-2010 at 07:25 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
btn
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
A big whatever on the tire size, what matters is how you plan on driving it. We've stressed the same inner C in JV enough towing out a rig in 3 wheel drive that it ovaled the hole that holds the upper balljoint in and never bent the C or the tube.

If you're going to use lots of wheelspin and hop up things because you drive like a madman, get a bigger front axle because you're just going to over stress the one you have. If you aren't, then it doesn't need bracing.
When you say the rig was in 3 wheel drive, do you mean only one front tire was doing all of the pulling in the front end and that is what stressed the ball joint hole? In other words, if both front tires are being driven, the hole shouldn't see enough stress to oval out?
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle , c brace , prefabbed , rubicon
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.