TJ Rubicon Differentials Oil Change interval - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Rubicon Differentials Oil Change interval

I read a lot more than I post and I've missed this somehow. Does anyone know why the service interval is 12,000 miles?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Jeepsr4me

because the damn thing is expensive an why take a chance....
Heck I dont know just marking this in case a factory guy says why..
post #3 of 19 Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 AM
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think modern vehicle manufacturers consider diff lube to be "lifetime" under their "light duty" maintenance schedules, and although I don't have my owners manual or fsm in front of me, I'll bet that's what you'll actually find in any TJ's manuals, Rubicon or not. I'm pretty sure the 12000 mile interval you're referring to is Jeep's recommendation for "severe service" such as frequent offroading or trailer towing

'03 red Rubi

post #4 of 19 Old 09-16-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon View Post
I think modern vehicle manufacturers consider diff lube to be "lifetime" under their "light duty" maintenance schedules, and although I don't have my owners manual or fsm in front of me, I'll bet that's what you'll actually find in any TJ's manuals, Rubicon or not. I'm pretty sure the 12000 mile interval you're referring to is Jeep's recommendation for "severe service" such as frequent offroading or trailer towing
Could be. All I know is I have a problem Rubicon here that I am having my dealership buddy help me with and we were discussing the use of synthetic lube in the front diff. He said the service interval was 12,000 miles and I asked if he was sure. He whipped out the owner's manual and pointed to the mileage interval. I didn't look to see if it was the severe duty schedule but I certainly can.

I will say that I can't see towing as being any more severe on the front axle than not towing though.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #5 of 19 Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 AM
MoFarmBoy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
He whipped out the owner's manual and pointed to the mileage interval [12K]. I didn't look to see if it was the severe duty schedule but I certainly can.
Yes, Schedule B (criteria below)advises every 12K mi.

forumrunner_20170916_104557.jpg
post #6 of 19 Old 09-16-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFarmBoy View Post
Yes, Schedule B (criteria below)advises every 12K mi.

Attachment 3468482
Yep, I got out the manual and read it. 12,000 miles if you go offroad.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #7 of 19 Old 09-17-2017, 12:55 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

They also spec the 80w-90 for the front diff. I've just been using the 75w-140 in both axles so I don't have to keep two weights of diff oil for it.

I've never changed mine that often, but I don't do severe offroading either. Logging rds, forest service rds, fields, etc. It has never looked very dirty when I've changed it.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #8 of 19 Old 09-17-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
They also spec the 80w-90 for the front diff. I've just been using the 75w-140 in both axles so I don't have to keep two weights of diff oil for it.

I've never changed mine that often, but I don't do severe offroading either. Logging rds, forest service rds, fields, etc. It has never looked very dirty when I've changed it.
It doesn't specify severe offroading. It just says taking it offroad.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #9 of 19 Old 09-17-2017, 03:33 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I know. It says never change it, or change it every 12K if you go offroad.

I change mine about every 30K and the gear oil that comes out doesn't look much different than what I put back in. I've never pulled the diff covers on it either, I just use the drain plugs.

I'm at 165K or so on it now. Bought it new.

The '92 manual says 30K for normal service and 12K for severe. I've been running 75W-90 in the 30 and 35, change it roughly every 30K, and it's at 270K on the original axles.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #10 of 19 Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 PM
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Any idea on time and not mileage I know that mine was changed when I had it re-geared but that was 3 or 4 years ago, but I think it was only about 4,000 miles ago. So is it time ?

I can quit drinking anytime I want, but hey I'm no quitter :)

White Jeep Club #224
post #11 of 19 Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing is going to happen to your gear oil while the Jeep is parked unless your parking spot gets flooded above the tops of the vent tubes.
I've never understood the concept of drivetrain gear oil changes based on time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-22-2017, 09:15 AM
Jeepsr4me

Time based changes have to do with heat and contraction of the oil from atmospheric changes. This can draw in moisture and that moisture will build up to point of causing the oil to have water in it.. and where does water go in a oil sealed system? to the bottom of the oil. We get sent over seas and we leave our cars in a parking lot on base. When we get back there would be water in the axles and engine... Folks complained that the site was flooding.. Nah,,, Just lots of rain and heat.. No flooding.. Those are extreme cases.. setting for a month and then being driven will burn off most of that water...
post #13 of 19 Old 09-22-2017, 10:48 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is an extreme case.
For what plumber1 was asking I see no need for time based changes in an axle.
Once driven at speed for any amount of time any small amount of moisture will be heated to the point of becoming vapor and will exit through the breather.

-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-22-2017, 10:57 AM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I think basing your maintenance on hours vs miles is centered more around trail rigs than it is street driven rigs. Much like ATV maintenance is hours and not miles. You may have only a few miles, but those miles may be very hard miles.

post #15 of 19 Old 09-22-2017, 12:57 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

My guess is that it is a defense against warranty claims. I can see the conversation at the dealership:

Service Manager: "Sorry sir, it looks like your front differential needs to be replaced. How many miles on the Jeep?"

Customer: "20,000."

Service Manager: "Have you ever had the Jeep off road?"

Customer: "I took it on a gravel service road once."

Service Manager: "Did you change your front differential fluid at 12,000 miles?"

Customer: "What??"

Service Manager: "Not covered under the warranty. That will be 4 grand..."

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.