TJ rear dana44 and Rubicon dana44 difference - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ rear dana44 and Rubicon dana44 difference

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-29-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
jappe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ rear dana44 and Rubicon dana44 difference

What are differences between these two. I order superior dana44 kit
with 33 splines and detroit locker. It seems to fit both axle housing.
But other parts. I have TJ style dana44 housing.
Is there differences and what they are?

Unread 05-29-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
cincytj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jappe
What are differences between these two. I order superior dana44 kit
with 33 splines and detroit locker. It seems to fit both axle housing.
But other parts. I have TJ style dana44 housing.
Is there differences and what they are?

you should call them before you order, I believe the stock TJ d44 has 30 spline axles and the Rubi has 33 spline. If you are ordering a carrier too then you will get the 33 spline so it wont matter.
knoblock rear bumper, OBA in process,
bestop tire carrier, 35-12.5-16 trXus MT's on MOABs with 1.25 spidertrax
Currie HD steering
Nth Degree 6" LA kit. Garvin Wilderness Rack w/hi-lift mnt
HEMI & 5spd Auto
cincytj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 07:03 AM   #3
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What you are getting is the Super 44 kit and will fit your housing. It also would fit a Rubi 44 but would need extra shims to set up. The housings are machined a little different. Basically a Rubi locker will not fit a regular TJ 44 housing without machining the housing - but non-Rubi lockers etc will fit the Rubi housing with extra shims.
Both have 30 spline axles and the 33 splines are an upgrade. You must have a 33spline locker and the axle bearings,seals etc to make them work. The Super 44 kit is similar to the Super 35 kit.
Jim
Unread 05-29-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Right on the money, otisdog! I just went through this myself last week. Although I have a 2005 SPORT with Dana 44, it turns out it's a RUBICON 44!!! I learned this when the gear shop called (I'd supplied the parts) and told me I'd need two more shims. It seems that on a Dana 44 option you can get a Rubicon axle from DC in a non Rubicon TJ.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
foreman1063

Robncar, I had the same issue when I re geared my 04 D44. The shop told me I had a Rubi 44 housing in my sport which required extra shims. Guess they ran out of regular 44 housings.
foreman1063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
nhlbill

Yep that is true for 04-06 Sports. The D44 housing is the same housing as the Rubi D44 housing. I too ran into this issue when trying to buy some additional shims so that I was sure I had enough to do my swap. I took out one of mine and took it down to 4WP and compared them to the ones they were trying to sell me and they were way larger than the ones 4WP had. So we compared a Rubi kit and the shims were the same size.
There is a 1/4" thick shim on the sides of the carrier to make up the difference (it looks weird for sure).

If your taking out a Rubi locker (which I have never seen BTW) and putting in a Detroit, you may need those carrier spacers and I don't know if they come in a normal master install kit....I would check into that FWIW

Gone but not forgotten:
05 TJ Sport
RK 5.5" Long Arm, 1" Daystar BL
M.O.R.E. Bombproof 1" MML
AA SYE, RE CV Driveshaft
4.56's, ARB Super 30 Front, Detroit D44 w/Alloys Rear
35" BFG MT's
RK X-Factor steering, Currie Anti-Rock,
Nth oil pan skid, Rock Crusher Diff covers
Line X
OBA (Viair 450c System)
Trail Gear Rockers
Custom rear bumper/swing out
nhlbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
Reelm n Rubi
Fish fear me

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The Rubi shims won't come in a normal shim kit you need to ask for them specifically. IMO the Rubi housing is a much better design for setting up. You don't need to remove the carrier bearings to change shim arrangements. Randy's Ring and pinion carry the Rubi shims in assorted thicknesses.
Kieth Black forged 944 pistons
Comp Cams custom ground camshaft
505 Performance PCM
Split Second Engineering fuel/timing management
Tom Woods CV driveshaft
50 lb/hr Trick Flow injectors
4" Full Traction LA with Bilstein 7100's
JKS 1" MM,BL. TeraFlex engine and steering armor
4.88's w/ 35 " Toyo Open Country m/t's
Moser Chromoly axle shafts front, Superior D44 rear
Warn 9.5ti on a M.O.R.E hi clearance bumper
Reid racing knuckles, Warn premium hubs
PIAA 525's, and 510's

XBOX Gamertag- ISHAGDyurGURL

For SALE-- standard drop pitman arm redrilled with new 1 ton GM tye rod end (bottom mount). Perfect $30
Reelm n Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
TheDuke05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlbill
Yep that is true for 04-06 Sports. The D44 housing is the same housing as the Rubi D44 housing.
Is this only for Sports or all 04-06 D44's? I have a Rocky Mountain Edition (X with D44) and will be regearing soon.

Sold my Jeep earlier this year. Kinda miss it but I love my Infiniti.
TheDuke05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
nhlbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke05
Is this only for Sports or all 04-06 D44's? I have a Rocky Mountain Edition (X with D44) and will be regearing soon.
I think it probably applies to all 04-06 D44 housings, but I have a Sport so I know my 05 Sport has the same housing. You will know by taking off your cover and seeing the wide spacers/shims. There is probably another way of telling by the axle tag or some other manner of identification, but I'm not 100% sure. It might have even been 03-06. HTH

Gone but not forgotten:
05 TJ Sport
RK 5.5" Long Arm, 1" Daystar BL
M.O.R.E. Bombproof 1" MML
AA SYE, RE CV Driveshaft
4.56's, ARB Super 30 Front, Detroit D44 w/Alloys Rear
35" BFG MT's
RK X-Factor steering, Currie Anti-Rock,
Nth oil pan skid, Rock Crusher Diff covers
Line X
OBA (Viair 450c System)
Trail Gear Rockers
Custom rear bumper/swing out
nhlbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
jappe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok Rubicon needs extra shims.

One more question. Is there diffrence with gears, when use Detroit Locker?

Is ring and pinion same in Rubicon and normal rear d44 with Detroit Locker?
Unread 05-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #11
Airbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlbill
Yep that is true for 04-06 Sports. The D44 housing is the same housing as the Rubi D44 housing. I too ran into this issue when trying to buy some additional shims so that I was sure I had enough to do my swap. I took out one of mine and took it down to 4WP and compared them to the ones they were trying to sell me and they were way larger than the ones 4WP had. So we compared a Rubi kit and the shims were the same size.
There is a 1/4" thick shim on the sides of the carrier to make up the difference (it looks weird for sure).

If your taking out a Rubi locker (which I have never seen BTW) and putting in a Detroit, you may need those carrier spacers and I don't know if they come in a normal master install kit....I would check into that FWIW
does this mean i can buy the rubicon locker from jeepsareus and stick it into my 2004 D44 housing? I kinda want the rubicon locker because it has a limited slip when it's not locked.
Airbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.