TJ Rear bucket seats? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Rear bucket seats?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #16
Marauder_Pilot

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterandnitro View Post
Try this: Ask the person riding in the back seat to hold whatever cargo you want to take with you. If they don't want to, tell them to get out. haha
See, I would, but I don't feel like being an ******* to my friends.

Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
xjandyj

i cut up a rear seat for my yj,,,got the seat for 20 bucks on craigslist and then it was just work,,,im sure if you wanted it to be perfect you could bring it to an upholstery shop...tj seat modding should be the same,,,now i just use the single seat,but still have the original one in case i need 4 seats total

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-rear-seat-mod-3-seater-yj-527420/
xjandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #18
NORCALROOTS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey,

I've looked exhaustively for an off-the-shelf solution to replace the rear bench seat of my 1997 TJ with a single bucket seat but haven't found anything. I've been hunting for TJ seats on Craigslist and finally found a set in Santa Cruz, CA. The seller was awesome and I bought the pair for $75. My intention is to bolt the better of the two seats down to the driver's side of the vehicle. I had originally intended on mounting the seat in the center but wanted to take advantage of the shoulder strap and maximize storage so I opted for the off-set seat placement.

In order to create the strongest anchor point, I intend on dropping the gas tank and bolting 1/4" steel rails on the underside of the vehicle to displace as much of the weight over the sheet metal of rear floor. I'm doing this more because I've been told this is the "safe" thing to do but I'm unclear how a bolted seat would pull through the seat metal. I'm assuming the thinking is that during an accident a person would create enough friction to pull the seat out but if they have their seat belt on, how would they move in a direction to pull the seat out? Either way, I'll err on the side of caution and use the re-enforced railings.

My guess is this will be a very involving all-day project (8+ hours). Since I'll have the gas tank dropped, I intend on replacing/fixing the fuel sending unit (the current unit does not relay correct fuel level).

My biggest concern is that there is no room between the fuel tank and the underside of the rear floor to allow for the 1/4" steel rails and bolts. If anyone has implemented this mod or can shed some light on the spacing below the gas tank, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

I'll plan on taking photos along the way and posting a write-up post-project.
NORCALROOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCALROOTS View Post
Hey,
In order to create the strongest anchor point, I intend on dropping the gas tank and bolting 1/4" steel rails on the underside of the vehicle to displace as much of the weight over the sheet metal of rear floor. I'm doing this more because I've been told this is the "safe" thing to do but I'm unclear how a bolted seat would pull through the seat metal. I'm assuming the thinking is that during an accident a person would create enough friction to pull the seat out but if they have their seat belt on, how would they move in a direction to pull the seat out? Either way, I'll err on the side of caution and use the re-enforced railings..
I can imagine. Seen it.
Imagine the jeep hitting a tree at 50 mph. It stops instantly. The rear seat just bolted through the tin floor - bolt heads pull right out- instantly, and the seat (and occupant if so equipped) continue heading for the windshield...
Adding some flat plate under the floor is smart - as large an area as possible.

Let me show you something by way of example - in the pic below - notice the Warn M8000 next to the cop on the right?
It was secured in the truck bed. A receiver like this one http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/4149CG9DDEL.jpg was bolted to the rear fender well, with a piece of 3/16 steel about 4x8 for a backing plate. The multi mount winch was stored on that, with a hitch pin to secure it. A very safe installation. In the accident, the winch and mount ejected through the roof, over the cab, hit the semi and bounced back to where you see it in the photo. It took a 4x8 section of the fenderwell with it!

Such are the forces unleashed during accidents.

(In case anyone wonders, that old Yota belonged to my father. He survived, but only by the grace of God and some incredible gifted first responders, a helicopter ride, and a well equipped hospital. But he's never been the same...)
mvc-0001fsm.jpg  
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.