TJ Rear Brake Adjustment Problems Solved, Once & For All!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Rear Brake Adjustment Problems Solved, Once & For All!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #16
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting....never had that problem, brakes always worked as advertised, never had to adjuse them either. Glad you found your problem.

wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #17
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I realize this is an older thread. But, I am putting together a D35 with 4:10s. Hav also a 8.8 but not the funds to put it together at moment. Anyway, I understand the overtravel spring needs to be turned around. My quest is what would that have to do with how it works? Looks to me like it would do the same thing either way. help me to understand please? Please dont take this as me being a smart a##. Just tring to fiqure it out. Thanks so much
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
Beavx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when it is installed the way the illustration shows, there is no room for movement. If you install it incorrectly, it will have too much play allowing the adjuster lever to move away from the gear thus coming out of adjustment.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the build.

Previously owned '87 YJ, 4" Rough Country,
33x12 BFG AT/KO's, Hummer Recovery Vehicle
Beavx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Note if your springs are worn when you flip it around correctly it makes almost no difference as I found out today.
A new adjustor kit with cable and spring and I'm as good as new.

I had this peoblem for years and it is very easy to over look. mine is fixed now.
Thanks to the OP
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips. I've been wanting to fix mine since I got it. It's terrible!
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
cowboys666
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is an older thread,gonna revive it...gonna see if it works for me,been having this problem for awhile.
cowboys666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #22
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Since you revived the thread, I'll post up a pic that shows what I believe the OP was trying to explain.

Note the position of the spring, spring plate, and adjuster lever.
img_2308-web.jpg  
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle1 View Post
I realize this is an older thread. But, I am putting together a D35 with 4:10s. Hav also a 8.8 but not the funds to put it together at moment. Anyway, I understand the overtravel spring needs to be turned around. My quest is what would that have to do with how it works? Looks to me like it would do the same thing either way. help me to understand please? Please dont take this as me being a smart a##. Just tring to fiqure it out. Thanks so much
Since you are going to have your 35 apart why not do the junkyard disc swap??? You can get all the parts off a ZJ for dirt cheap. Even if you use the calipers as a core for new ones you will never really have to worry about adjusting or dealing with drum brakes again...

No real performance gain more of a luxury item.

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #24
aussieTJ-06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

had the SAME PROBLEM! got new drums new shoes new springs/kit all bendix F*ck still wouldnt work
BUT when i read "if you can put em on by hand your way out".............. YOU WERE RIGHT! im no fool but after adjusting the star heaps (with my mechanic mates helpin) i decided to pull it all apart again have a good look and yep i was going the wrong way apparently jeeps love being arse about!
but after a good spin and a tweak im back in the game thanks dude!
aussieTJ-06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
dobeluvr

thankx for the picture, I was doing the brakes tonight, and the cable was broke on that piece. The captured spring assembly was just lying on the bottom, so I had no idea where to put it. The other end was easy, lol, it was still under the springs at the top. (both sides were the same, so whoever did the brakes in the past had them backwards).
dobeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After almost 3 years of messing with the drums on mine, adjusting all the time this is how I solved my issues.
Thanks again Blaine!!!
Unread 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #27
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryFriend View Post
So are you saying this is set up incorrectly?
(not my picture)

I don't see anything in the FSM that says how to set it up one way or another.
Is this the right way to set up the hook? Cheers then, CO

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

99 TJ Sahara----->I AM BACK TJer's
-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
CO_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The correct position is show in my picture above.
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #29
Gordon-0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Since this thread pops up at the top of google when searching for brake problems, I think I am going to revive it to clarify and re-iterate some information, as well as post a bit about a problem I recently had.

How to install the adjuster

The adjuster needs to be installed with the end of the spring out, and the plate flush against the outside of the adjuster like this

that's a bit blurry, but in order to accomplish that you need to slide the "hook" of the adjuster into the spring here

like this

you should end up with something like this

then simply place the assembly over this pin and spring as normal

Now on the the problems.

I ordered the complete hardware kit from RockAuto, and installed it, but after driving around a while, there was a grindy noise that wouldn't go away.
I figured it was brake drum adjustment, but no matter how i adjusted them, it never stopped.
Only once i saw this thread did the problem become apparent.

old adjuster plate vs new one

oops

****, this ain't good

pn is 5062

this part will have to be either ground down to work, or simply use your old one, if it is in good shape.

I called RockAuto and they are sending me new drums.
Gordon-0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #30
redvett94

Your problem is you relied on generic info from the Haynes or Chiltons manuals. Get the OEM Factory manual for correct info.

Tags
adjustment , brakes , parking brake , rear brake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.