TJ Rear Brake Adjustment Problems Solved, Once & For All!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Rear Brake Adjustment Problems Solved, Once & For All!!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Beavx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Rear Brake Adjustment Problems Solved, Once & For All!!

After chasing this rear brake adjustment issue during four years of owning my TJ and having little or no rear brakes, pushing the pedal halfway down, sliding on wet raods, and constantly adjusting them to no end......I SOLVED MY ISSUE THIS WEEKEND.

I read many posts in this forum about TJ issues with rear brakes. My fronts would lock up in rain--many people had the same issue. One post had a guy who sold his TJ after his wife slid through a wet intersection.

Here's what I learned when I set out to settle this once and for all. After reading the countless posts in this forum about the lack of rear brakes, the near misses, and the constant adjusting to no end, I came back to post what I learned over this past weekend. I finally have FULL BRAKE PEDAL.

I'm sure this is no secret and some of you know this, but after reading all I read in this forum on this issue, I had to serve our Jeep community with the following tips. Forgive me if someone else has already posted this, I felt out of safety, I had to share what I learned.

Tip #1: Fist off, RockAuto shows two kits. One for 9" Drums, one for 10" Drums. My 97 Sport had 9". The couple kits I located in town were for 10". I had to order mine.

Measure your Drums before you order...

Tp #2: take a marker and black out the figures 9.5dd and 9.5b in sections 9-14 and 9-15 of your Haynes manual. The quality of the images do not show the detail necessary to properly show how to connect the adjuster cable over travel spring to the adjuster lever.

Af first glance, it appears to show the hooked end of the over travel spring connected to the adjuster lever facing way from you, toward the axle. This allows the arm to move away from the adjusting sprocket, allowing it to back out. When connected this way, the only thing holding the adjuster lever to the sheet metal frame of the over travel spring is the tip on the hooked end of the spring.

Upon closer inspection of the images, comparing it to the exploded view and instructions that came with the Bendix kit, I realized my adjuster cable over travel springs were installed backward. It was like "which of these things are not the same?" Finger by finger, part by part, there it was!!! I know, no major thing. But dealing with poor braking power after four years, I was relieved to have this figured out.

The portion of the adjuster lever that connects to the over travel spring must be slid between the spring and the metal assembly that holds the spring. The hooked end of the over travel spring should be facing you, not the axle. This holds the adjuster lever FLAT against the the over travel spring assembly, allowing no room to move away from the adjustment sprocket. Also, it is easier to connect the over travel spring to the adjuster lever first, then taking a screw driver and putting the adjuster lever spring over the adjuster.

When looking at it, you should see the hooked end of the over travel spring facing you, the metal frame of the over travel spring, the adjustment lever is held between the spring wire and the metal frame. If you need it, I can scan and email the diagram.

Also, I did have the TJ in at Midas for a muffler replacement in the dead of winter this year and asked them to take a good look at my rear brake adjustment hardware to confirm that they were properly installed. The feed back from the mechanic was, "yes, everything is installed correctly".

Final tip. Losen your parking break so there is slack in the line. Put your drums back on. If you adjust the shoes out, then slide the drums on, you will still be way out of adjustment. Now remove the rubber plug from the back of your drum and adjust the brakes out with a screw driver so there is a VERY slight drag to where you can barely hear the shoes touch. If installed correctly, you will hear a real good clicking while adjusting and you will not be able to turn the sprocket backwards. Now tighten your parking brake nut to were there is a good amount of drag on the drums. losen the nut two turns. Done.

You now have the best braking power you ever have had in your TJ. I know, it worked for me.

Hope this helps some of you out!!!!

Previously owned '87 YJ, 4" Rough Country,
33x12 BFG AT/KO's, Hummer Recovery Vehicle
Beavx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Farmkid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes could you scan the document and send it to me please. I am having the same problem farmkid09@hotmail.co m
Farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Beavx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just sent it.

And a big welcome to the forum.

Unread 05-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Farmkid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't recieve your diagram could you please resend it
Farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
cheech66
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great info I am going to be doing the rear brakes soon so I will bookmark this for sure ty!!
cheech66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Beavx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmkid View Post
I didn't recieve your diagram could you please resend it
I just sent it again.

Unread 05-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

can you just post the diagram on here? that should save some time for everyone that needs it.
Unread 05-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So are you saying this is set up incorrectly?
(not my picture)

I don't see anything in the FSM that says how to set it up one way or another.
dsc01705.jpg  
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good info. I fixed my adjustment problem this week...by installing ZJ rear disc brakes. I think my adjustment problem is done with permanently
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Beavx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Imaginary, Yes, that is incorrect. That is backwards.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the diagram linked here. My FTP server is down.

In this picture, just like mine were set up, the only thing holding the adjuster lever to the overtravel assembly is the very hooked end of the spring. If you turn the assembly around, the adjuster lever goes between the metal frame and the side of the spring that is facing you now. The side facing us now should be facing the hub, the hooked end should be facing you....

Last edited by Beavx; 05-08-2010 at 07:02 PM..
Unread 05-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Beavx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Let's see if this works....

pay close attention to the note under about what direction the spring faces you. The Haynes manual says nothing about it...

We are trained to think that the hooked end of a spring connects to something...not true in this case. I spent a couple hours staring at all of this determined to figure it out.....

Here is the pdf scan of the instructions.......Brake Adjustment Diagram

Last edited by Beavx; 05-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: fix broken link
Unread 05-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Beavx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpleasant View Post
Good info. I fixed my adjustment problem this week...by installing ZJ rear disc brakes. I think my adjustment problem is done with permanently
Awesome. I want to do that one day.

Unread 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
jeepinjohn72
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavx View Post
Let's see if this works....

pay close attention to the note under about what direction the spring faces you. The Haynes manual says nothing about it...

We are trained to think that the hooked end of a spring connects to something...not true in this case. I spent a couple hours staring at all of this determined to figure it out.....

Here is the pdf scan of the instructions.......Brake Adjustment Diagram
A picture of your fixed assembly would be helpful.
jeepinjohn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
mike0110
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjohn72 View Post
A picture of your fixed assembly would be helpful.
i agree, but i'm pretty sure i understand what your saying.

i'm so excited you posted this i have been without rear brakes for awhile. i have the same problem with the self adjuster spinning both ways and could never get it set up right. thanks for posting this i can't wait to tear into this tomorrow.
mike0110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustment , brakes , parking brake , rear brake

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.