TJ radiator problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator problems

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ radiator problems

Anyone have a fix for the leaking radiator problem? I just installed radiator number 5 yesterday in my '99 with 156k. I've tried from radiator barn, the all metal version, and the plastic. They all leak at the top crimp. The latest one that I just replaced was bought at NAPA and I got a free warranty replacement. I've gotten 1.5 to 2 years out of them before they leak. Anyone try running a lower psi cap?

Unread 01-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13try2 View Post
Anyone have a fix for the leaking radiator problem? I just installed radiator number 5 yesterday in my '99 with 156k. I've tried from radiator barn, the all metal version, and the plastic. They all leak at the top crimp. The latest one that I just replaced was bought at NAPA and I got a free warranty replacement. I've gotten 1.5 to 2 years out of them before they leak. Anyone try running a lower psi cap?
Now it's time to stop wasting your time and money and go with an OEM radiator.

Lower PSI cap won't help. Just a better quality radiator will.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

OEM radiator failed at 50k. Problem is, everything that you buy now is chinese junk. Something is causing the crimps to fail. The guy at NAPA pointed out that the OEM cap is 18 psi. Lower pressure on the system might help, but will it affect cooling?
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've gotten good at swapping out the rad. Not going to buy something else now when NAPA just down the road will give me a replacement for free.
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OEM radiator failed at 50k. Problem is, everything that you buy now is chinese junk. Something is causing the crimps to fail. The guy at NAPA pointed out that the OEM cap is 18 psi. Lower pressure on the system might help, but will it affect cooling?
That is an anomaly, the majority last more than twice that mileage. Normally when they fail is due to not enough coolant in the system. This causes super heated air to build up pressure and kaboom, you have a blow out. Using a cap of less than 18psi will not allow the system to work as designed. Stay away from the chinese junk that the auto parts stores sell and use what came in the JEEP to begin with. USA made!!!
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Stay away from the chinese junk that the auto parts stores sell and use what came in the JEEP to begin with. USA made!!!
Are OEM replacements made in USA? Purchased one lately? I find it hard to believe that they still are, if they ever were.
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are OEM replacements made in USA? Purchased one lately? I find it hard to believe that they still are, if they ever were.
Well it was a couple years ago. Yes, I believe it was as it didn't say made in china.
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The guy at NAPA pointed out that the OEM cap is 18 psi. Lower pressure on the system might help, but will it affect cooling?
Were you running a higher pressure cap? 18 PSI is standard. A higher pressure cap will put more pressure on ALL other parts of the system, possibly causing early failure.

I've run 2 OEM radiators in my '98 TJ. The first replaced around 120k miles, the 2nd is still in there at 220k miles. I replaced the radiator in my 2006 TJ at 97K. I run stock everything when it comes to the cooling system (195 thermostat, 18 PSI Cap, OEM water pump,"plastic" core radiator). 100K miles out of a radiator seems well within reason.

I wonder now how many people blame radiator failures on running substandard or "performance" cooling system parts like T-stats, caps and pumps from the local auto barn putting undue stress on their radiators.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

X2 for keeping the cooling system specs close to stock. 195 t stat and 18 psi cap is what it's engineered for. Got my radiator from summit
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
marka2k

2006 WK 

My OEM lasted 130K when I replaced it I went with OEM, it did not leak when it was replaced but had limited flow.

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Ground Pounder Fab Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
marka2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

My stocker sruvived a rollover and being totaled. It still ran another 20k miles before leaking at a little over 100k . So i got a oem from webster radiator. It was more than a aftermarkert and has held up good for 3 years.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.