TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #91
BootheelBoy
1986 CJ7 

I have just done this mod. I did it mainly to help cool my AC condenser at idle. My jeep has grill inserts with a big Warn winch on front which has to slow some airflow. Only time will tell if it worked. The jeeps AC hasn't been doing the job I think it should do at idle. My jeep has never ran hotter than 210 so my engine running hot isn't an issue I an trying to fix with this mod. The new fan I got was a 9 blade with the heavy duty fan clutch. It does seem to pull more air through the grill over the stock fan. I used a towel being sucked to the grill to check the difference, not scientific but I could tell a difference. The fan is louder to me than the stock one, it also seems to blow more air. It is a very easy mod to do. Took me more time to get the old fan and clutch off than anything else. Total it might have took 15 minutes max. The part numbers listed earlier in this thread are spot on. Thanks guys for your info. I will report back later after I give it time to test out.

BootheelBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #92
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket 10 blade fan is Four Seasons/Murray 36882. The Hayden 2793 is the severe duty clutch, 2717 is std duty per Hayden

Also there is an 11 blade fan from the Ranger too I think, the 9 blade Dorman 620112 crosses to a lot of vehicles
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #93
bthall

This seems liking something I'm gonna have to try...Thanks for the info!
bthall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #94
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

RockAuto removed the 10 blade fan number this morning
local parts dealer said they're on national back order
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #95
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
water pumps are different. fan clutch mount is different.
If folks look closely at the picture of the ford fan that Chris posted... it has a square 4 bolt pattern ... don't know by looking at it that it is the same pattern as the Jeep but it appears that the fan will bolt up to an early model fan clutch no problem. Need to check with actual parts tho.... and if it does, get a HD Hayden so that it has enough guts to spin that fan. I know for a fact that the HD Hayden replacement fan clutch WILL NOT spin the Jeep 7 blade fan effectively.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #96
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
If folks look closely at the picture of the ford fan that Chris posted... it has a square 4 bolt pattern ... don't know by looking at it that it is the same pattern as the Jeep but it appears that the fan will bolt up to an early model fan clutch no problem. Need to check with actual parts tho.... and if it does, get a HD Hayden so that it has enough guts to spin that fan. I know for a fact that the HD Hayden replacement fan clutch WILL NOT spin the Jeep 7 blade fan effectively.
In a few days I'll have a Autozone "Severe Duty" fan clutch going on the stock 5-blade, and i'll have the Explorer's "Severe Duty" fan clutch & fan side by side so I'll be able to compare.

Autozone shows the Explorer fan clutch is a different PN than the TJ fan clutch...so I'm guessing they may be different. Whats the bolt pattern size on your early model stock 5-blade?

I found:
92-2737 Early model TJ "Heavy Duty" (no Severe Duty listed)
92-2791 Late model TJ "Severe Duty" (HD is 92-2771).
92-2793 Explorer "Severe Duty"
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #97
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Whats the bolt pattern size on your early model stock 5-blade?
No idea... I just noticed from the pictures that there is a 4 bolt pattern on that ford fan. I'm also not sure if the actual mounted distance with the clutch and the fan will have the proper radiator clearance but its worth someone looking at for the early model years.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #98
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can someone post the distance between the bolt holes on the explorer fan blade. I am searching for a clutch that will fit the fan blades of the w explorer fan on a early TJ. I am trying to install the 1986 Ford HD clutch/Murry fan blade Part #36882 on a 97 TJ. Tonight if I can find one locally.

My junk overheated again today. It feels like 125 outside.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #99
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I believe the fan holes are 3.25" Look up the clutch 2717 or 2793 specs on Hayden web site they fit the fan so there bolt dia is what the fan takes
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #100
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just picked up the 86 mustang hd clutch and explorer 9 blade fan to test out. Everything bolts up great on my 97 TJ. Hope it works well.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #101
overkill
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I completed this mod today myself. Due to my aftermarket aluminum radiator, I had to removed the shroud to make the install. My initial impression is that it definitely moves alot of air at idle. OAT today was 98 degrees, 85 percent humidity. After idling for 25 minutes, temp indicated 212 degrees. Increasing idle to 1500 rpms, temp indicated 200 within 2 minutes. Noise is definitely quieter.
So....if temps are a constant issue, why not drop to a lower temp thermostat?
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #102
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill View Post
, why not drop to a lower temp thermostat?
1. If it runs less than 195* the computer will add fuel which kills mpg.
2. Lower operating temps cause more cylinder wear.
3. The thermostat only controls the minimum temp. If it's running 212 with a 195 stat is will also run 212 with a 160* or 180* stat installed.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #103
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think I remember in my old fox body mustang days that a 93 Cobra had a better fan clutch than any of the other 5.0s in the day. A girl across the street from me had one and coming at you it seemed like the fan was all you could hear and it wasn't stock exhaust . Did I read something also about the earlier TJs being reverse rotation or are they all, don't want a fan that will be running backwards, Just thinking .........

Anytime I installed a lower temp thermostat it lowered the operating temp according to the dash on most any vehicle I installed one in the past but the object is to maintain correct operating temp
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #104
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
I think I remember in my old fox body mustang days that a 93 Cobra had a better fan clutch than any of the other 5.0s in the day. A girl across the street from me had one and coming at you it seemed like the fan was all you could hear and it wasn't stock exhaust . Did I read something also about the earlier TJs being reverse rotation or are they all, don't want a fan that will be running backwards, Just thinking .........
The 86 Mustang uses the same fan blade as the 93 Explorer and both are reverse rotation. I have not had a 97-99 Jeep in my shop in a while. Are the WP on those reverse rotation too?
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #105
ColoradoCole
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For as helpful this thread is and the lack of chrysler parts i think this thread should become a sticky.. Just my thoughts
ColoradoCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 blade , 5 blade , 9 blade , cooling , explorer , fan blade , Fan clutch , ford , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.