TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #76
ColoradoCole
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just checked Oreilly and they sell both the 9 and 10 blade, the 10 blade comes with a severe duty clutch as well.

ColoradoCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #77
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just stopped by Autozone and ordered fan and clutch. They won't be in till Wednesday but it should be about a five or ten minute job to make the swap. 250 mile drive on Thursday to Killington for Jeep Jamboree (and back on Saturday night) so will try it out right away, although admittedly not at temps that many of you see. Haven't had an overheating problem but as I approach 100k miles I start to think about doing anything I can to make life easier on engine and transmission. Worry about breaking something that isn't broken but easy to go back to stock if I don't like it for any reason.
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #78
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Personally I dont think this is an upgrade worth doing. I think the improvement(if any) is going to be negligible......more blades does not equal more air movement, especially when the blade angle is reduced....I like the thought of upgrading this area without question, but this does not seem to be the ticket.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #79
ColoradoCole
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Personally I dont think this is an upgrade worth doing. I think the improvement(if any) is going to be negligible......more blades does not equal more air movement, especially when the blade angle is reduced....I like the thought of upgrading this area without question, but this does not seem to be the ticket.
If you don't like the upgrade then don't read about it, it works for this guys application and thats done said and been tested by him it works for him. if you don't like it don't do it. The guy works at an ac shop and knows what will and wont work.
ColoradoCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #80
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright then, please share with the class exactly what makes a good performing fan?

Why does the Jeep 5 blade fan get replaced by a 7 blade when the rig is hard to cool?

Why are there two options for the plastic fan which are 9 and 10 blade and the 10 blade is generally coupled with a severe duty fan clutch?

If I were to apply your logic, should I remove every other blade on the 10 blade and make it a 5 blade?

And for the record, blade angle is referred to as the PITCH. So what's the ideal pitch we need and how many blades for hot climates?
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #81
jeeperkt
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well said Mr. Blaine. I am going to do this swap next week. Thanks alot guys
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #82
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why do you think that OEM came up with the TSB that does work?...
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #83
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
Does it seem to move air like it should? If it doesn't you will need to buy a new clutch.
i've got a new Severe Duty clutch coming for the stock 5-blade. I'm gonna give that a shot before swapping clutches on the Explorer fan. i've been having issues with the jeep getting too hot when running A/C in 90+ temps, or climbing in the mountains @ 3500-4000 RPMs @ 55mph for 10-20 miles. Theres a couple stretches of road I need to climb during the heat of the afternoon sun to know if either fan/clutch makes a true difference under heavy abuse.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #84
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
more blades does not equal more air movement, especially when the blade angle is reduced.....
This is true but the 10 blade fan moves much more air @ slow engine speeds than my stock 5 blade fan did even with a bolted fan clutch. It's definatly an improvement over the Jeep fan although I do not know the actual CFM rating of it.

I spent today out in the desert in 100* heat with the AC on. On a long slow climb it did get up to 215* then the fan clutch locked in and immediatly brought the temp back to 205*.

215* is perfectly acceptable on a hot day with the AC on and pulling a very steep hill at a walking speed. With the Jeep fan I would have hit 230* which IMO is the hottest I want it to get.

The Ford fan is much quieter than the Jeep fan. IMO thats reason enough to use it. The Jeep fan makes all kinds of noise when the clutch locks up.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #85
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuder View Post
I have always wondered why two of the blades on a stock fan are closer together than the other three. Anyone know why?
Anyone know why?
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #86
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It balances the fan.
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #87
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
This is true but the 10 blade fan moves much more air @ slow engine speeds than my stock 5 blade fan did even with a bolted fan clutch. It's definatly an improvement over the Jeep fan although I do not know the actual CFM rating of it.

I spent today out in the desert in 100* heat with the AC on. On a long slow climb it did get up to 215* then the fan clutch locked in and immediatly brought the temp back to 205*.

215* is perfectly acceptable on a hot day with the AC on and pulling a very steep hill at a walking speed. With the Jeep fan I would have hit 230* which IMO is the hottest I want it to get.

The Ford fan is much quieter than the Jeep fan. IMO thats reason enough to use it. The Jeep fan makes all kinds of noise when the clutch locks up.
Though I went with the AZ fan I noticed that it makes more noise when I step on the gas hard.
JBTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #88
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I want to do this mod, but Autozone lists different fan and clutch part numbers for the 2.5 and 4.0 models. I have the 2.5. Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether or not it will work on the 2.5?
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #89
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I want to do this mod, but Autozone lists different fan and clutch part numbers for the 2.5 and 4.0 models. I have the 2.5. Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether or not it will work on the 2.5?
The Jeep and Exploder fans are both 18 inch. Measure your 2.5L fan?.......I think they are 16 inch.
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #90
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Regarding the 2.5. I just checked and it measured just a bit more than 15" at its widest point. Doesn't look like an option for me. Thank you so much anyway.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 blade , 5 blade , 9 blade , cooling , explorer , fan blade , Fan clutch , ford , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.